PDA

View Full Version : General equipment elecrical layout

Don Gares
09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok, just today I received my used Pinnacle M Series machine and all the trimmings. Finally have it all uncrated and now need some advice. I have the engraver, the air compressor, and the exhaust blower and odor reduction unit (which I didn't really want). Before I ask my question I want you all to know that I have never ran one of these things before!

What I need to know is what is the normal way to plug these three items in and switch them on. Because of the power consumption I would think that I would want the laser and the exhaust blower on different circuits. The compressor takes very little power thus it could share a circuit. Before engraving something do you actually go around and individually turn all three items on (are all three always even needed?) or do you share a surge protector.......just give me a clue.

Actually, I highly suspect that I am going to to have more questions than this forum will want to tolerate so if anyone has too much time on their hands just e-mail me at don@crsales.com and I will gladly e-mail you back some additional questions.:)

Thanks a bunch,

Don

Frank Corker
09-03-2008, 5:25 AM
Don, not sure I will be able to answer your questions completely, but. Firstly and most importantly, surge protectors are a must, if you search through previous posts, there are more than one occasions when lightning or power increases have blown out expensive parts of the laser. A surge protector will earn it's money several times over even if it works once.

Your laser won't actually use up as much as your blower and air reduction. Of all the items that you have (which is pretty much the whole show) the compressor is most likely to be the one that you use the least, it will be good for cutting purposes only. The extractor is a definite and will probably be the most used after the laser. The odor reduction is useful if you are in a confined space or when you have neighbours very close by.

Hope that helps a little.

Mike Null
09-03-2008, 6:50 AM
I would have at least a 15 amp circuit for the laser. The other things can be together. I have my blower switched and usually turn it on when I turn on the laser. I have not had need for odor reduction as my blower handles that exhausting everything outside.

Dan Hintz
09-03-2008, 7:47 AM
Depending upon the size of your compressor and laser, you probably want them on different circuits. When compressors first turn on, they pull more surge current than their running draw... you may pull 12A to start but only 6A while running. If your compressor cycles on/off while the laser is running on the same circuit, you could cause the processor in your laser to reset, causing all kinds of fun problems. If it's a small 2A compressor and the laser is only drawing 10A, you'll probably be fine... just be aware.

While building my workshop in the basement, I knew what to expect. I have multiple 20A circuits, one is dedicated to high-initial-draw items like the compressor (it's a 30gal), and another for the computer and cutters.

Darryl Hazen
09-03-2008, 7:59 AM
You may also want to consider purchasing a UPS (uninterrupted Power Supply) for your computer and laser. If the power ever goes out in the middle of a job it will supply power long enough for you to complete the run and power everything down. Most will provide about 20 minutes worth of power. The UPS will also provide surge protection. Most units will have enough protected outlets for you to plug in your laser, computer and monitor.

David Fairfield
09-03-2008, 8:59 AM
Minimum hardware requirement= a surge protector with an on-off switch, and easy access to that switch. Don't rely on the surge protector to protect the laser in a lightning storm, unplugging it is the only guarantee.

Dave

Mike Null
09-03-2008, 9:20 AM
That is also my practice. We get a lot of lightning storms and once I had to replace about $2000 worth of equipment and parts. Insurance covered it but said they would not cover the laser again as it did not fit the parameters of office equipment. I bought separate insurance to cover all business related supplies and equipment.

Scott Erwin
09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Don,
For what its worth, here is how I have my machine(s) set up.

The laser is plugged into a surge protector on the unswitched side.
I then have the compressor (small no tank) and the odor reduction unit plugged into the switched side of the surge protector.

The computer is plugged into a different outlet but unfortunately for me on the same circuit.

The start up sequence is as follows:
1. Computer is on first (no brainer there eh?)
2. Turn on Laser by switch from engraver.
3. Turn on switch from surge protector. The compressor and odor reduction unit switches on the physical machines are in the 'on' position so the turning on the surge protector turns them both on at the same time.
4. This sequence gives the laser time to go through its cycle and get ready for use. The compressor and odor reduction units don't have to so they are ready as soon as I turn on the surge protector switch.

I will tell you I have a good (and pricey) surge protector. I didnt skimp in this catagory as I figure 50 bucks vs. 20k was well worth the pricing...

Just my 2¢ worth....