PDA

View Full Version : OH NO ! ! Lathe Troubles #$%@#

Ken Salisbury
05-06-2004, 6:03 PM
Today my Jet 1642 VS went Tapioca !!!:eek:

I was roughing out some bowl blanks when it started to just slow down and stop on it's own. I have been so busy on FPP lately thatI haven't used my "big boy" lathe in some time. Dominic Greco sent me a really nice box elder blank which I have been putting off doing - I really want to finish it up - but as they say "poo poo happens"

I suspect I have either a motor problem or a VS converter problem. Looks like I will have to pull off the head stock and go to Nashville tomorrow and have the tech at GIS check it out for me.

If anyone has encountered this problem and has a clue - let me know - otherwise it means "hit the road".

That is the last thing I need - a 200 mile round trip :(.

Jim Becker
05-06-2004, 6:39 PM
This is the first I've heard of this problem with the Jet. The Delta 16", however, has had a lot of controller problems. One friend of mine went through three before trading off for the Jet!

Richard Allen
05-06-2004, 8:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the problem. As Jim says the Jet is usualy very reliable. Jet is, as you know, a company that stands behind their products. Before you hit the road you might want to call Jet and see what they suggest.

I know how you feel. I lost the motor to my lathe a few years back and it took 2 weeks (10 days but it felt like a month) to get the replacment motor. About a month latter I bought a Jet mini so I wouldn't have to be without a lathe again. You solved that issue a long time ago.

Good Luck

Dominic Greco
05-06-2004, 9:08 PM
I was roughing out some bowl blanks when it started to just slow down and stop on it's own. I have been so busy on FPP lately that I haven't used my "big boy" lathe in some time. Dominic Greco sent me a really nice box elder blank which I have been putting off doing - I really want to finish it up - but as they say "poo poo happens"

Ken,
You've probably done this already but have you removed any access covers and blown out the accumulated dust? The one place I would look first is the heat sink on the back of the variable speed controller. If this gets clogged with dust, it will not dissipate heat as efficiently. And heat really messes with delicate electronics like vari-drives.

Good luck with this and keep us posted. Hopefully you'll be back on line and can get that box elder roughed out!

See ya,

Ken Salisbury
05-06-2004, 9:28 PM
Ken,
You've probably done this already but have you removed any access covers and blown out the accumulated dust? The one place I would look first is the heat sink on the back of the variable speed controller. If this gets clogged with dust, it will not dissipate heat as efficiently. And heat really messes with delicate electronics like vari-drives.

Good luck with this and keep us posted. Hopefully you'll be back on line and can get that box elder roughed out!

See ya,Yes Dom I did check for dust accumulation and the like. I haven't used the 1642 that much and it was void of anything like that.

Richard,

Sorry to hear about the problem. As Jim says the Jet is usualy very reliable. Jet is, as you know, a company that stands behind their products. Before you hit the road you might want to call Jet and see what they suggest.

Since I have a very good relationship with General Industrial Supply where I purchased the lathe I am confident I will return tomorrow with a functional piece of equipment.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-06-2004, 9:57 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles Ken, it's hard when a machine goes down in the middle of a project. Hope it gets fixed fast!

Wolf Kiessling
05-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Today my Jet 1642 VS went Tapioca !!!:eek:

I was roughing out some bowl blanks when it started to just slow down and stop on it's own. I have been so busy on FPP lately thatI haven't used my "big boy" lathe in some time. Dominic Greco sent me a really nice box elder blank which I have been putting off doing - I really want to finish it up - but as they say "poo poo happens"

I suspect I have either a motor problem or a VS converter problem. Looks like I will have to pull off the head stock and go to Nashville tomorrow and have the tech at GIS check it out for me.

If anyone has encountered this problem and has a clue - let me know - otherwise it means "hit the road".

That is the last thing I need - a 200 mile round trip :(.

I haven't a clue as to what is wrong with you machine but PLEASE keep us informed as to it's disposition. Your comments a few weeks ago re the Jet 1642 EVS were one of the factors that contributed to my making the decision to purchase one of these lathes. As a matter of fact, it arrived yesterday and I am still in the process of putting it together.

So, whatever turns out to be the problem, I, for one, am very interested in hearing about it.

Not sure how my lathe assy is going to go. With SWMBO being back in the hospital, I've been running around like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. In any case, I am NOW very interested in any JWL 1642 EVS probs. Like you, any probs would involved a nearly 200 mile round trip.

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Wolf, or anyone else, don't "panic" regarding one machine having an issue. With the increased use of electronics in our machinery, there will be individual machines from time to time that have a problem. We all have computers and other electronic devices in our lives and it's no different there. But paying attention to things that develop into a "common thread" with a particular machine is a good idea. Fortunately, that hasn't been the case with the Jet lathe to-date, at least as evidenced by postings in various forums. It's been a clean machine. That's why forums like SMC are great--the news can be spread and documented.

Ken Salisbury
05-08-2004, 5:49 AM
So, whatever turns out to be the problem, I, for one, am very interested in hearing about it.
Not to worry Wolf -- -- it turned out to be a minor problem of a loose connection of a wire inside the switch housing. After the Tech checked the set up for the converter he opened the switch housing and a wire just fell off of the rear of the large push/pull on off switch. Reconnected and everything was fine. Being a fine company, as GIS is - no charge ! !

As I usually do when I go to GIS I come back with a new toy. In this case I came away with another Jet Mini. I intend to give this one to my Son-in-law so I can keep him off of mine :D . Minor damage to it was a small corner piece of the cast iron base broken off. Basically a new machine at a substantial discount. Easily bolted down with 3 holes instead of 4. ;) .

I stopped at the Nashville Woodcraft to talk with them about a TAT on the way back and again, as usual spent more money. Bought a couple new Crown turning tools, some Poly Glue and one of those fancy self centering drill press vises for drilling pen blanks.

Chuck Wintle
05-08-2004, 6:09 AM
I was wondering if you could weld on the broken piece from the base?...if its not missing

Ken Salisbury
05-08-2004, 6:17 AM
I was wondering if you could weld on the broken piece from the base?...if its not missing
Piece was missing - but not a big deal. I have used my Mini for over 4 years and about half of the time I have used it on a table without any bolting down at all. The rest of the time it is on it's Jet Mini stand. It is a beefy enough machine that a couple small bolts will secure it nicely.