PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jewelry Chest & Veneer

Dave Lehnert
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I am building the Jewelry Chest from Woodsmith issue 89 (1993)
The top of the chest and sides are Veneer. The sides is not a problem but a little trouble with the top.

-My problem is I can not find walnut veneer wide enough. I would have to joint two pieces together.
Is that possible and have to bend it to form the top?

-Can I make my veneer paperback at home? Grocery sack or the like?

- I do have the option of using cherry wood and veneer. My hardwood dealer has wide, 8-10ft long paperback cherry veneer for $30 deal right now. But like to use the walnut.

- How would a walnut case with a cherry veneer top and sides look? Any photo of the woods together in a project?

Open to any ideas. Metal top? Make the top flat? Anything?

Joe Jensen
09-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Dave, I've used a ton of sliced veneer, and later a little paper backed veneer. After using the regular veneer I found the paper backed stuff to be horribly thin and fragile. If you are interested in trying regular veneer, send me a PM and I can share some tips...joe

Tom Klass
09-03-2008, 5:22 AM
check with Certainly Woods in East Aurora, N.Y.
they have any kind of veneer you could possably want. You can order on line, fax or call and talk to a real person tell them what you are building and they are great to help you. No affiliation just a happy customer!!

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 8:32 AM
JoeWoodworker.com can likely provide you with the wider, paper back veneer you seek. I get cherry in that format from him.