PDA

View Full Version : Show Pieces, Junky Quality Pics

Matt Hutchinson
09-02-2008, 9:57 PM
Well, I didn't have the energy to set up a decent shooting setup, so here's a little over half the bowls going into the show. If you could respond with suggested prices on some/all that would be great. Thanks for looking!

BTW, not all of them have their foot turned, and none of them are buffed yet. Also, they do/will have my name woodburned on the foot.

13" Box elder platter with figuring, 10" Curly Spalted birch bowl

Matt Hutchinson
09-02-2008, 9:59 PM
12" Claro Walnut Burl, 7" Box Elder

Matt Hutchinson
09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
10" Cherry, 13" Maple

Matt Hutchinson
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
11" Sassafrass, 7" Walnut Dish w/ a bit of figuring

Bob Hallowell
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Matt prices very from place to place but I can say you got some nice bowls there. I hope you do well.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2008, 11:14 PM
I agree Matt. Prices do vary. Really great looking pieces. Here's hoping you do well.

michael gallagher
09-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I dunno about pricing, but the cherry and the maple one really stand out to me. Very nice.

Richard Madison
09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Matt,
Obviously pricing is tricky and depends a lot upon the venue. One guideline that sometimes helps (sorry, forgot who posted this) is: ((diameter x height) x F)) + material cost. The factor "F" is a number between 1.5 and maybe 5, based upon quality of workmanship, finish quality, and degree of difficulty. Or it might be 10 or 20 if you are famous. Usually something in the range of 2 or 3. Then you make a judgement call and adjust up or down accordingly. If it seems higher than someone will pay, maybe 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing. If it seems low for the material and work you put in it, increase it. And some more like that.

Best of luck with your show!

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-03-2008, 1:45 AM
[quote=Matt Hutchinson;918838]Well, I didn't have the energy to set up a decent shooting setup, so here's a little over half the bowls going into the show. If you could respond with suggested prices on some/all that would be great. Thanks for looking!
a little over half? you need more than 16 to make a booth..
as for price. I am just getting started too. ( 2nd year) and I look at a show as follows.
1 where is the show, big city and big bucks? or country and low income..
2 how much have I invested in the show itself.
cost of gas, entry fees, food, lodging etc. whats your break even point?
I am getting ready for a show end of sept . in an art type village. last year break even was 350 bucks so I set my amount to sell at 1000. that was the hoped for amount with me being a first time craftsman. well the show got blow out the last day and I made 850 but was on par for the grand if the wind hadnt toppled half the boothes. ( outside in the mountains). but in order to do the 1000 I had to have about 50 to 60 objects priced 15 bucks to 250
plan on the 15 to 70 dollar items paying for food and gas and the 100+ items to be the profit. I plan for 30 percent of sales to be low range under $50 and 40% to be $50 to $100, and the remaindure to be $100+ price range.
this year I am taking hopefully 6 peices over $100, 15 in the midrange and alot in the small stuff.
also dont forget the trinkets. which do well in certain venues. toothpick holders at 10 bucks . , they buy lunch ... my teacher says take 3 times what you plan to sell.,,,,,,,,,,,,,
good luck

dave barnhart
09-03-2008, 1:58 AM
I'm not good at pricing, but I would like to know the different ways you chucked the various pieces to turn & finish the foot (feet). My last attempt at a 13" platter was shattered on the work floor a couple months ago.

Thanks
David

Leo Van Der Loo
09-03-2008, 4:05 AM
Matt craft shows can be very different, it depends, BUT don't underprice your pieces ever.
A good average for nice bowls that are not extra deep or have ultra nice wood, is $10.-- per inch Diameter, you will have to decide if that's enough.
I think most are worth that price, but I cant see and handle them from here, You do know yourself if they have faults, I hope you have a good day even if sales are bad, have fun and take care.

Matt Hutchinson
09-03-2008, 7:36 AM
This first show of mine is actually a last minute decision, that's why I don't have more pieces. I know 15 doesn't seem like very many, but too many pieces will make all of the them blend together. I like the idea that each piece will actually get seen. Also, I am not terribly concerned with making a profit on this one, though it would be nice.

Yeah, I figured you guys might not bite on the pricing question. Some bowls do have faults, like the maple one, and a couple that aren't pictured aren't perfect either. But barring those few, they will have healthy prices. Plus, the psychology of the art buying community dictates that if it's priced to low it's not good enough. (A friend had experiences like this. Certain people wanted high priced items.) So here's a few prices I am going for:

Unpictured 20" x 5.5" Cherry bowl = $970
Claro Walnut Burl bowl = $630
Small box elder bowl = $115
Birch Bowl = $280
Sassafrass Bowl = $145

I know some of you are thinking these are high, but I am guessing people will offer lower. But I also am a firm believer that wood turning is art and can never be duplicated by manufacturing, and some stores sell machine made bowls for much higher than this.

Anywho, can't wait to get better pics so you have a better idea of their quality. Thanks!

Hutch

P.S. Even though I won't mind if I don't sell anything, my goal is to sell 2 pieces.

Bob Hallowell
09-03-2008, 8:05 AM
Matt,
Please don't take this the wrong way and I hope I am wrong but Those prices are definitely high for what I can sell mine for and what I just saw at the State College Arts fesival. I sell Bowls like you Birch one for around $100, the Box elder would be more like $60-70. I imagine your area is in line with State College.

Bob

Matt Hutchinson
09-03-2008, 9:01 AM
Yeah, I know. And I fully expect most turners here to react the same way. I don't take offense or anything like that, but I do feel the prices are justified. It's the market that needs to understand what they are worth. :D

Hutch

P.S. Also, the prices are rather experimental. I am a little curious just to see how people react to these prices. I can always come down part way through the show.

P.P.S. Also, think about how much a person pays for a print from a photographer or painter. And bowls are all one of a kind originals! (Of course, the boring bowls don't exactly apply.)

Bob Hallowell
09-03-2008, 9:16 AM
Matt,
I was just worried if there is another turner there that you prices were prolly going to be double or triple of his. Here's a link to Mike Mahoney's site that shows his prices.

http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/catalognew.html?Vl=2&Tp=2

Raymond Overman
09-03-2008, 9:18 AM
Matt,

Don't plan on people haggling with you. The few that do will low ball you to a point of you kicking them out of the booth and those that don't will walk after looking at inflated prices. Also, most turners will tell you, don't be the guy that drops his prices to 50% off half way through the show. You're building a reputation.

No offense but I think your pricing is high unless you are talking about a juried art show with a history of collectors, huge foot traffic, an inside venue, a name for yourself with the collectors and a lot of luck. Something comparable to an ACC (American Craft Coucil) show.

Since you're asking about pricing here, I assume (maybe incorrectly) that you don't have a lot of experience at shows or possibly galleries. From my experience, most people at local Saturday afternoon art shows are looking for nice pieces at lower than gallery pricing, direct from the artist. Most of my sales come in the $50-$100 range, a few in the $150-$200 range, and then occasionally a collector will show up and buy the most expensive piece in my booth which is still well below $500. If you expect to sell pieces over $100 you better have a credit/debit card machine or be willing to accept checks for those higher amounts.

I'm not saying your pieces aren't well executed and nicely finished, but I think you're expectations on the claro walnut piece is much higher than your market might bear. I could be wrong.

As a guide, Leo's $10 per inch is a good starting place. For bowls, I personally like the formula:

((diameter*height) * skill modifier) + material

with this formula your claro walnut bowl would calculate to:

((12*3) * 3) + 60 = $168 at the bottom end
((12*3) * 5) + 60 = $240 at the top end

Now, if you really don't want to part with the claro walnut bowl and that's why you're pricing it at $630, I understand completely and I've taken this tactic myself a few times.

Just my .02. Again, no offense and good luck with your show.

Harvey Mushman
09-03-2008, 9:34 AM
This first show of mine is actually a last minute decision, that's why I don't have more pieces. I know 15 doesn't seem like very many, but too many pieces will make all of the them blend together. I like the idea that each piece will actually get seen. Also, I am not terribly concerned with making a profit on this one, though it would be nice.

Yeah, I figured you guys might now bite on the pricing question. Some bowls do have faults, like the maple one, and a couple that aren't pictured aren't perfect either. But barring those few, they will have healthy prices. Plus, the psychology of the art buying community dictates that if it's priced to low it's not good enough. (A friend had experiences like this. Certain people wanted high priced items.) So here's a few prices I am going for:

Claro Walnut Burl bowl = $630
Small box elder bowl = $115
Birch Bowl = $280
Sassafrass Bowl = $145

I know some of you are thinking these are high, but I am guessing people will offer lower. But I also am a firm believer that wood turning is art and can never be duplicated by manufacturing, and some stores sell machine made bowls for much higher than this.

Anywho, can't wait to get better pics so you have a better idea of their quality. Thanks!

Hutch

P.S. Even though I won't mind if I don't sell anything, my goal is to sell 2 pieces.

Hutch.....Lookin' high to me, too....on the higher priced stuff anyway. I've done shows for a long time. I have to say that folks look at certain types of turning as utilitarian.

Be realistic with your pricing. Ya have to ask yourself..."What would I pay for it?". The $10 an inch rule is a good starting point. Although $6-7 is more like it when it comes to people actually prying open their wallets. I used to sell 8 in cherry bowls, nothin' special, but very nice, for @$40. Bump that to $50 and sales stopped dead. You are correct in the fact that if it is priced too low, potential customers may walk away thinking that it is not worthy or not good enough. Those patrons are few, though. It is sad to say, but most people want WalMart prices.

I carted around a beautiful 20in/5 in deep cherry bowl to a dozen or more shows for about 3 years. It was priced at $350 and people looked at me like I was nutz!. I finally sold it for $300 last year.

Your Claro bowl looks nice, but in my opinion, $400-450 is more realistic.

I've seen guys at shows asking some serious coin for their "artwork"...and I do use the term loosely. Then when you get up close and give the work a critical eye, all kinds of sanding marks and major imperfections are evident. Remember that the patrons that have the "jack" to buy a $1000 bowl usually have the taste to know great work from good work. For a grand, the work should flow, exude a grace and be as close to perfect as humanly possible...It should look like a thousand bucks!

At the last show that I did in July, I had 5 hand carved Mallee bowls, the most expensive being $1275. This natural bowl had raised carvings and some turquoise inlay....Prbably the nicest bowl that I've ever made...... and not a sniff.

H.

Harvey Mushman
09-03-2008, 9:37 AM
Matt,

Don't plan on people haggling with you. The few that do will low ball you to a point of you kicking them out of the booth and those that don't will walk after looking at inflated prices. Also, most turners will tell you, don't be the guy that drops his prices to 50% off half way through the show. You're building a reputation.

No offense but I think your pricing is high unless you are talking about a juried art show with a history of collectors, huge foot traffic, an inside venue, a name for yourself with the collectors and a lot of luck. Something comparable to an ACC (American Craft Coucil) show.

Since you're asking about pricing here, I assume (maybe incorrectly) that you don't have a lot of experience at shows or possibly galleries. From my experience, most people at local Saturday afternoon art shows are looking for nice pieces at lower than gallery pricing, direct from the artist. Most of my sales come in the $50-$100 range, a few in the $150-$200 range, and then occasionally a collector will show up and buy the most expensive piece in my booth which is still well below $500. If you expect to sell pieces over $100 you better have a credit/debit card machine or be willing to accept checks for those higher amounts.

I'm not saying your pieces aren't well executed and nicely finished, but I think you're expectations on the claro walnut piece is much higher than your market might bear. I could be wrong.

As a guide, Leo's $10 per inch is a good starting place. For bowls, I personally like the formula:

((diameter*height) * skill modifier) + material

with this formula your claro walnut bowl would calculate to:

((12*3) * 3) + 60 = $168 at the bottom end
((12*3) * 5) + 60 = $240 at the top end

Now, if you really don't want to part with the claro walnut bowl and that's why you're pricing it at $630, I understand completely and I've taken this tactic myself a few times.

Just my .02. Again, no offense and good luck with your show.

Ray...Well said.

H.

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-03-2008, 9:41 AM

hey matt good luck with the prices.. yeah you definently have it at art prices. most of what I sell is craftsman work and made to be used. if it dont hold soup then its art. guess you are selling to all those rich republicains up there this week .
hey . I want to see the biggy cherry . . and yeah 2 pieces would be good . at thos prices. so this show..
you got in at the last minute? was it juried? and what cost was the entry fee? hope your booth "says" art, professional, in both its set up and backdrop.
after all if you are going to be worth the expense you have to look the part. ( will you have a "vanna" to display em? laughes . ps

a guy named bruce baker makes a cd about selling art and crafts. you might look it up . helped me alot not to turn off the buyers.
(did you know you cant accept thanks for your work?
its customers paying you for your time . and hey you want them to buy something . )

robert hainstock
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Matt, I did shows for a lot of years and foung that when I did not know the how to price my merchandise, that a high price would elicit crowd reaction that would lead me to the right price soon. People cannot resist telling you what your stuff is worth. Listen and carefully learn. GOOd LUCK! :)
Bob

Matt Hutchinson
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
LOL, I knew I could get some responses with those prices. :)

I understand what mean about a lower rate than a gallery. I suppose that is something I should keep in mind. Also, a couple of the pieces are priced high cuz I have an outlet that reaches the high end art market, so if they don't sell I am not concerned. In one case I just am attached to the bowl. As far as foot traffic, that is also taken into account. There should be 15,000 people in 6 hrs. On the other hand, I would like to sell a couple. I am still mulling it over, and I probably will end up starting at a little lower. But not for the Claro walnut or Big cherry. I actually know people who have paid that much without blinking an eye, and I have a place to sell those to reach this market.

Anywho, I am sure it won't take long to hear what people are looking to spend. :D

Thanks for the input!

Hutch

Raymond Overman
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Matt,

If you're in a gallery, don't price comparable pieces at your show below what the gallery prices them in the store. This causes problems with gallery relationships and collectors when they run across your discounted pieces. However, realize that your art fair venue may not support the gallery prices. There's a lot of variables that go into selling a piece are they not?

I ran across a gallery recently that must have had problems with their artists since they didn't show the names on the bottom of the pieces. You can read more about that here (http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/?p=94). I still don't completely understand it.

Matt Hutchinson
09-03-2008, 7:36 PM
After careful consideration, I have changed my prices across the board. I knew my prices were high, but I suppose I should just get a successful show under my belt. I can worry about pushing the prices up in the future (if at all). As implied before, I think people are getting a real deal for the prices most have suggested, but I don't think most buyers think of it as art, which is probably the underlying issue.

Anywho, I think I have a much more reasonable pricing. Thanks all for the helpful information.

Hutch

Richard Madison
09-03-2008, 7:52 PM
Hutch,
Wise decision on your part. You will feel better if you sell a few pieces at prices your customers are willing to pay, rather than having to carry them all back home. Often 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. I had the same tendency to hugely over value my work, knowing the hours it took to make it. Finally realized that if my customer did not perceive acceptable value for the price of any given piece (and buy it), it did not matter if it took 1,000 hours to make it.

curtis rosche
09-03-2008, 8:17 PM
i think that you need to raise those prices, atleast 1000$ for the walnut burl, that is rare, explain that and people will understand and buy. the other prices sound right, but dont got under 1g for the burl

Barry Stratton
09-03-2008, 8:23 PM
Thanks for the pics......looking good for a first show inventory!

Prices are tough to set......glad to see you lowered yours some.

Remember to learn as much as you can while having a great time. If you sell ONE bowl, it will be a success.