PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome Browser

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 9:09 PM
Google released their Chrome Browser today...I'm playing with it "as we speak". Noticeably quicker than both FireFox and IE. Installed itself and imported my FireFox bookmarks lickety-split, too.

One thing missing seems to be a way to add to the dictionary directly from the context sensitive menu...or at least I haven't figured it out yet..

Matt Meiser
09-02-2008, 9:32 PM
I tried to find the Chrome download earlier but it wasn't available yet. IE8 Beta is out too. One of my co-workers installed it today and found out that our ERP system detects that his browser isn't IE6 or 7 and gives him an error when doing his timesheet. :eek:

Joe Mioux
09-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I installed it on my office Pc...

I also read the cartoon story about it.

There is a lot of stuff it does and lot faster.

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 8:07 AM
Matt, it's listed on the Google page that they distribute "all" their stuff...http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

I used Chrome for all of last night. Blazingly fast, IMHO. The architecture is interesting, too, in that each tab runs in it's own virtual machines. This "browser" is more or less an Internet OS, rather than a traditional OS hosted application. It will be interesting to see where it goes in that respect.

Dennis Peacock
09-03-2008, 8:26 AM
Yea....I just installed it myself. Wow is it ever fast.! Thanks for the link Jim. :D

Curt Harms
09-03-2008, 9:05 AM
Matt, it's listed on the Google page that they distribute "all" their stuff...http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

..... This "browser" is more or less an Internet OS, rather than a traditional OS hosted application. It will be interesting to see where it goes in that respect.

Perhaps the folks at Microsoft way in Redmond aren't thrilled with that part of it;).

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 9:27 AM
Perhaps the folks at Microsoft way in Redmond aren't thrilled with that part of it.

That's actually what some of the folks are saying in articles...while some might scoff at "yet another browser", the fact of the matter is that Google potentially could have a game changer given their leveraging of a new architecture. Nobody is saying that they will "take the market", but it certainly does give pause to think about the ramifications.

While this is just a beta release at this point, it's quite impressive to me right now. I'll probably play with it some more later, but so far, outside of the spell check thing I already mentioned and some minor rendering things I noticed on MSNBC.com (which sometimes occur with FireFox, too), it's a very nice browsing alternative.

Ben Rafael
09-03-2008, 9:57 AM
I would imagine microsoft is either developing changes to their OS that will cause Chrome to not work well or is going to develop a comparable browser. My guess is that microsoft will be doing both.
Competition is good.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/technology/03browser.html

Tom Godley
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
I have not tried the new browser from Google - It will be interesting to see how all of this clash of the Titans works out -- but I found Firefox to be lacking when up against Apple Safari.

And as to Microsoft -- that is why I switched to Apple in the first place.

Microsoft reminds me of GM in the 70's -- They have so much cash and are so big -- but you wonder what they are thinking.

John Schreiber
09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I read all the complaints about it yesterday and I'm trying it today.

The complaints seem to be that while it is faster and has more control over crashes, it doesn't slice bread or tie shoes. Faster is something all the other browsers have been trying for and failing.

It definitely is faster and the interface is very clean. That's plenty good for me, but I'll keep playing with it and see what it seems to be missing.

Dennis Peacock
09-03-2008, 1:41 PM
One thing I just found out? Read the end user license agreement. Could be that every post made with "Chrome" will be property of Google.?

Steve Clardy
09-03-2008, 3:41 PM
Started downloading chrome about 30 minutes ago.

Gonna be a while with dialup :rolleyes:

John Schreiber
09-03-2008, 3:54 PM
. . . Read the end user license agreement. . . .
By the way, Google now has an option to purchase any of my children at a time and price of their choosing. :eek: For all I know, that's in the agreement too.

Spell checking is not in the base version. I haven't looked to see if there are add ons for such things.

I take it back, it does indicate a misspelling, but doesn't suggest corrections.

Randy Cohen
09-03-2008, 4:20 PM
I dl'd it but it didn't carry all my user names and passwords to all message boards so I'm not using it since I don't remember what any of them are. But I agree that it is fast.

Doug Shepard
09-03-2008, 9:08 PM
I downloaded it a couple hours ago and am using it now. It definitely wins the speed contest over IE. I think I'm going to keep trying it out as there it's making an overall good impression. There are a few things about it I dont like though:

No menu bar that responds to keyboard shortcut commands though there are some keyboard shortcuts shown on the Control the current page button. I generally detest programs that think that the only user input is a pointy device and make frequent use of the Alt-Underlined menu bar letter shortcuts.
I don't care for the lack of a separate pane to display Favorites or History. With IE you could view a bookmark, Right-Click for the Properties, select and copy the URL and paste it into a forum post - all without leaving the forum site in the main pane. If there;s a way to accomplish the same thing in Chrome I haven't found it.
Doesn't appear to be a Tool Option for Exporting bookmarks to an html file. There's an option for Importing but no Export.

It also didnt import my passwords as advertised.

Peter Stahl
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Google released their Chrome Browser today...I'm playing with it "as we speak". Noticeably quicker than both FireFox and IE. Installed itself and imported my FireFox bookmarks lickety-split, too.

One thing missing seems to be a way to add to the dictionary directly from the context sensitive menu...or at least I haven't figured it out yet..

Wonder if that's why I'm having trouble when I start Firefox. I get a error message saying it couldn't connect to a page but my home page is Google. I attached the error box.

Dennis Mas
09-04-2008, 1:48 AM
Any dialup users having success with Chrome? I have no choice but to use dialup due to living in the mountains and too far out in the country. I'm not complaining. Love it out here. But I sure wish I could surf the net faster.
Thanks.
Pops

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 8:03 AM
Peter, I have not had the same problem and Firefox is my primary browser. In fact, I'm typing this via Firefox "as we speak"...

Glenn Clabo
09-04-2008, 8:05 AM
Dennis,
There was a BIG uproar over on one of my photo forums. People said they told Goggle that they would never use their product to load any photo that would turn over copyrights. Goggle has said they would change agreement ASAP.

And my first attempt to use it was painful. I didn't get a chance to figure out what was going on...but it crashed my machine at home.

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 8:10 AM
Yes, Google is changing the language in the ELUA. But as I stated in the other thread, such language isn't uncommon in the online world. Forums, for example, including this one, often claim perpetual use rights to content posted; not ownership, but the right to maintain content integrity and use the content in various ways without obligation to the original poster. We all agree to this when we sign up to use the resources and agree to the Terms of Service.

Many folks never noticed when they signed up for Skype that they were giving the company permission to use their computer "all the time" as a node in their peer to peer setup, even when the end user client was not running on the desktop. If your computer was attached to the Internet, it was in the system and helping to process communications for others. That's one of the things that many business' technical folks picked up on and expressed security concerns about.

Ken Garlock
09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Good Day Gents,

I installed Chrome yesterday, and there appears to be no way to Email a link to a web page, or the page itself.

IE allows the sending of a full page, or at least it did. FireFox will at least allow the sending of a link to a page.

I think this is a gross over site on the part of the developers. :confused: Yes, I can always do a copy an past of the URL, but being lazy, I like to just click and go.:cool:

In Addition: there is no way to selectively mark a cookie as a "keeper" thus not remove it when clearing the cookies. Clearing cookies is not an automatic option when closing the browser. (these two items are available in FireFox.)

The more I play, the more I find missing....

Eric Larsen
09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Chrome imported my passwords, no problem....

If someone makes a version of Greasemonkey for Chrome, I can see cutting Firefox loose. Page loads are definitely faster than Firefox.

Unfortunately, I'll be stuck with IEx forever because some pages simply won't load correctly without it.

Darren Null
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Google has updated the EULA. The hotly-contested Section 11 used to assert that you had rights over whatever you viewed and that you assigned them to Google. It would have been worth it for everybody to surf to hotmail, yahoo etc and watch the fireworks.

Section 11 now reads:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services..

The browser is still open to the carpetbombing attack, but I expect that will be sorted in short order too...if you use it, keep current.

Ken Garlock
09-05-2008, 9:41 AM
The good people over at Wood Central have alerted me to what appears to be a privacy issue with Chrome.
There was/is an article in the Seattle Times (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/brierdudley/2008/09/03/google_taking_heat_for_chromes.html) that is worth reading.

I just removed Chrome from my system and let them know that I would not use the product until the privacy issue is corrected.:mad:

Mike Henderson
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I downloaded Chrome and tried it out but it will not properly import my bookmarks from IE7 - it only imports some of them, maybe half. I've tried to find other ways of importing bookmarks but Chrome doesn't offer the ability to import a bookmark file exported from IE.

And I can't lose my bookmarks or enter them again manually. I do have a lot of bookmarks, but I can't imagine I'm unusual in the number I have.

Chrome is a good first attempt but, for me, unusable until they fix the bookmark problem.

Has anyone tried the beta of IE8?

Mike

John Schreiber
09-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not seeing any privacy issues beyond what other browsers have. But I guess it does integrate the search engine with the browser better.

It does keep track of your searches and anything else you type into the search/address bar but search engines are already doing that. One of the sources for the Seattle Times article http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/ describes it well.

Nothing keeps track of your normal web use. The other great safety issue is that the program is "open source" which allows anyone who wants to to check to make sure that Google is telling the truth. That's certainly not true for Microsoft's Explorer.

Greg Peterson
09-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm counting the days until Balmer squawks and complains about Google's unfair, illegal, advantage. Similar to the way he attacked Linux. Open source is a sore spot for those guys up in Redmond.

Tom Henry
09-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Downloaded it...Installed it...Love it

John Schreiber
09-06-2008, 1:55 PM
I'm not seeing any privacy issues beyond what other browsers have. But . . . .
It's probably bad form to quote yourself, especially if you are arguing with yourself, but here goes.

Chrome is just a little bit less anonymous than previous browsers. But each step along the Internet has been a little less anonymous than the one before it. Those little steps are adding up and soon it would be possible for someone clever to gather all the bits of data about you and make a very complete profile. It's like the story of the frog being boiled because he hopped into the pot when the water was cold and the temperature went up so slowly that he didn't notice until it was too late.

This is a change in our culture, and in our technology and in our governments. Privacy may be going out of style.

David G Baker
09-06-2008, 3:57 PM
John,
Did you mean "Privacy" or "Piracy"? :D

Chuck Wintle
09-06-2008, 4:25 PM
It's probably bad form to quote yourself, especially if you are arguing with yourself, but here goes.
This is a change in our culture, and in our technology and in our governments. Privacy may be going out of style.
John,
Privacy is a thing of the past. Chrome may be nothing more than a very fancy information gathering tool to be used by marketeers and "others".

Belinda Barfield
09-08-2008, 9:45 AM
I've been following news stories on Chrome and, call me naive, but I find it scary. That kind of power in the wrong hands can do a lot of damage. I think at this point though, this sort of "change" is inevitable.

John Schreiber
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
John,
Did you mean "Privacy" or "Piracy"? :D
Privacy may be a thing of the past. Piracy is the thing of the present, but instead of a parrot on the shoulder and a hearty "ARRGGHHH," it's a power tie and a favorable stock option.