PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector choice

Joe Bourbois
05-06-2004, 4:40 PM
I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger and haven't had much time to post lately, but I'm looking to buy a 2HP dust collector and have it narrowed down to these 2 (click for the products).

Jet DC-1200CK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006J6PG/qid=1083180185/br=1-11/ref=br_lf_hi_11//104-1051855-1123146?v=glance&s=hi&n=553020)

Penn State DC2000CF (http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=DC2000CF&Category_Code=DC2000)

They are both 2HP, 220v, 12" impeller, canister dust collectors. According to the specs, the Jet is 2 micron, while the Penn State is 1 micron. The Penn State claims 1500 CFM, while the Jet claims 1200 CFM (but I doubt either of these claimed CFM specs is worth paying attention to).

I can get the Jet for $490 delivered and the Penn State for $515 delivered.

So the question is, which appears to be the better unit? Tossup or does the 1 micron v. 2 micron give the Penn State the edge? I've decided against a cyclone for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

Robert Ducharme
05-06-2004, 4:43 PM
I would go the 1 micron filter if I were setting up in that mode.

Tim Sproul
05-06-2004, 4:57 PM
I would give the 1 or 2 micron rating as much credibility as you give the cfm ratings.....

I have the 1100CK, it works well. I would imagine another 1/2 HP and a bit bigger impeller could only make it better.

Brian Hale
05-06-2004, 5:59 PM
Hey Joe,

I was at Wilke last weekend and got their 2HP DC for $279. They also had the canister type your looking at for about the same price as the Jet. The salesman was telling me the only differance was the canister on top as the impeller/motor etc. are the same. What your paying for is the "convience" of sliding the lever around once or twice versus tapping the sides of the bag. The DC i bought came with a 1 micron bag. This is the one i bought. http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatalogDetailResults.tpl?SearchDetail=303941 8447206&PreviousCategory=Dust%20Collection

I haven't had the chance to use it much as i'm still setting up the TS and jointer i got with it but so far it seems very nice. I asked about the 1100 cfm versus the 1200 - 1500 of other 2hp DC'c and the salesman said they rate theirs with real world numbers, as in hooked up to a machine with ducting. Wilke has a very good reputation for quality and honesty so i don't doubt them.

Just my .05 cents

Brian :)

Tim Sproul
05-06-2004, 6:41 PM
cannister does 2 things...1 kinda important the other not so.

1. more surface area than a bag. The filter is pleated. I forget exact numbers....something like 4 times as much surface area as a typical bag. This equates to more cfm with the same impeller and motor. Exact performance increase depends entirely upon your DC set up.

2. it isn't as tall as a bag unit....can be a consideration for some as there may be a corner in your shop you'd like to tuck the DC away into but the bag won't let you .... obvioiusly not a consideration if you move the DC from unit to unit.

Tony Sade
05-07-2004, 9:23 AM
would be the Grizzly 2hp cannister, also rated at 1 micron and $508 delivered.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0548

I just finished hooking my new Jet 1200CK up to a PVC-based system and like it just fine. I also decided against a cyclone-mostly because of the cost. I discussed my setup (not really a review) over on WoodCentral on May 5. (Can't figure out how to provide a link, but I'd be happy to send you a copy of the post.)

I'd also be happy to answer any questions you have about the Jet.

HTH,

Boyd Gathwright
05-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi Joe,

Have you look at the Grizzly G0548? Listed below is a previous post of mine, you may want to consider.

Boyd ;)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD>http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/navbits_start.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8479&page=2&pp=15#)</TD><TD></TD><TD width="100%">Saw Mill Creek (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php?) > General Woodworking and Power Tools (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=navbar style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; PADDING-TOP: 1px" colSpan=3>http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/navbits_finallink.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8479&page=2&pp=15) Jet DC, # 1100CK, Comments sought

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hello Alan,
<O:p</O:p

Just read your post and I might be a little late with this info. I own the Jet 1100 but I think If I had it to do all over again I would go with the (NEW) Grizzly G0548 2 HP canister DC http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/121.cfm (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/121.cfm)? It goes down to 1 micron where as the Jet only goes down to 2 microns and there appears to be other advantages too.

Good luck on your decision.

Boyd :)

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Alan Turner

Need some help here. I can't do a cyclone due to space and ceiling height limitations inherent in my shop, but need to have DC improved. I am looking at the Jet 1100CK, with the filter cannister. I would appreciate any comments on this machine from owners, or those who are considering same.
One of the things which I like is that it empties to a plastic bag, which can then just be removed, without dumping same. Also, I got a price from a local store on the collection plastic bags, and I think they were 5 for $15, or $3@, which seems a bit stiff for a plastic bag. I assume other bags would work. Does anyone have a source for them that is a bit more reasonable? What is the mil thickness on these bags. I couldn't see it on the box of bags. I will fill quite a few of these, I think, both from a planer and a jointer.
Thanks.
Alan

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself. ;)

<!-- / sig --><!-- edit note -->
I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger and haven't had much time to post lately, but I'm looking to buy a 2HP dust collector and have it narrowed down to these 2 (click for the products).

Jet DC-1200CK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006J6PG/qid=1083180185/br=1-11/ref=br_lf_hi_11//104-1051855-1123146?v=glance&s=hi&n=553020)

Penn State DC2000CF (http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=DC2000CF&Category_Code=DC2000)

They are both 2HP, 220v, 12" impeller, canister dust collectors. According to the specs, the Jet is 2 micron, while the Penn State is 1 micron. The Penn State claims 1500 CFM, while the Jet claims 1200 CFM (but I doubt either of these claimed CFM specs is worth paying attention to).

So the question is, which appears to be the better unit? Tossup or does the 1 micron v. 2 micron give the Penn State the edge? I've decided against a cyclone for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

Stan Smith
05-07-2004, 1:39 PM
Tony, I have the Jet 1100 w/retrofit cannister. I move mine from machine to machine--but not really since I can reach all machines except one without moving the DC. After hearing too many wood chunks clanging the impeller, I added one of those metal garbage cans with the plastic lid for in and out hoses. I built a little cart for it to roll on and it's attached to the dc base so they roll in tandem. Just curious about what setup you have. Thanks.

Stan

Bob Aquino
05-07-2004, 3:51 PM
I've had 2 PS collectors, a DC1bXl with 5 micron bags and now a DC250 with 5 micron bags. For what you are going to spend I think I would look at the cheaper cyclone they offer. Ultimately it will do a better job of keeping the shop clean and making life easier. Between the choices you mentioned, I would go with the PS unit. I have been pretty well pleased with the stuff I have gotten from them.

Boyd Gathwright
05-07-2004, 9:15 PM
Hi again Joe,<O:p</O:p

Thought I would point out that nobody certifies the particle count (that is, one (1) micron or two (2) microns as well as CFM’s etc.) at this time, as far as I know. It’s pretty much MFG’s call as to what the specs are, as they can manipulate them the way they interpret the specs themselves. Here is where the reputation of a company comes into play and sometimes that is questionable. At this point, you kind of have to use your own experience and judgment.

Hope this is helpful and not confusing.

Boyd :eek:

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 10:33 PM

Hi Joe. I'm not trying to be an a$$ about this, but what is driving your decision against a cyclone? I used to have the Wilke 2hp unit and it did an admirable job, ducted through 4" PVC and dumping through one of those seperation units. BUT, having moved up to a cyclone, I just can't see myself *ever* going back to a regular DC. That point is really driven home every time I dismount the cartridge filter and take it outside to blow it out with the air hose. There is just an unbelievable amount of fine particulate which comes off it every time. I'm talking massive amounts! I can honestly say that I have no noticeable dust hanging in the air when I'm using it and the frequency of changing filters on my air-cleaner unit is now less than halfed over what I used to with just a regular DC. I sincerely feel it was an investment in better health and environment. Just MHO, but something to seriously consider. :cool:

Steven Wilson
05-08-2004, 2:24 AM
Thought I would point out that nobody certifies the particle count (that is, one (1) micron or two (2) microns as well as CFM’s etc.) at this time, as far as I know. It’s pretty much MFG’s call as to what the specs are, as they can manipulate them the way they interpret the specs themselves.

Both Oneida and Felder give the proper filter media ratings (done by an independent lab) for their equipment. But you are right when it comes to Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Powermatic, etc. The specs they give are virtually meaningless.

Tony Sade
05-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Stan Smith

Tony, I have the Jet 1100 w/retrofit cannister. I move mine from machine to machine--but not really since I can reach all machines except one without moving the DC. After hearing too many wood chunks clanging the impeller, I added one of those metal garbage cans with the plastic lid for in and out hoses. I built a little cart for it to roll on and it's attached to the dc base so they roll in tandem. Just curious about what setup you have. Thanks.

Hi Stan, thanks for asking. If you can reach all of your machines without moving your DC, you're either much more organized than I am or have a shop that's even smaller than mine, or both.

My system is built around the new Jet 2hp Cannister machine that I put up on a platform so I could fit the compressor underneath, and reconfigured-turning the blower around so my pipe would go the right direction. (Space is very tight.) I had doubts about fitting and configuring a cyclone in the available space, and couldn't afford it to boot-quite frankly I can't really afford what I did install. I think its gonna wind up costing me over a grand for the unit and all the duct and fittings, flex hose, blast gate materials, caulk, screws,etc. Everything is on wheels, ergo the flex, although I've made a semi-permanent connection to the TS, running the last few inches with flex hose, both because I had to to make it fit, and so that I can disconnect easily if I do have to move the saw.

I've got one trunk going to the table saw (cut a bigger hole for a 6" register boot), with a four inch wye/hose to the blade guard. The other trunk goes around the perimeter of my shop space at the ceiling, making 3-90 degree bends, one going up to the ceiling from the machine, the others at the corners. I have a 6" drop (6x6x6 wye with gate, about 10' of 6" flex) to the jointer and several four inch drops (6x6x6 wyes to gates, 6x4 galvanized reducers after the gates) at several locations for all my portable machines-SCMS, drum and oss, planer, band saw, router table. The drill press (not mobile) gets its own dedicated drop. (It appears I dropped that too low so I'm gonna have to cut some pipe to make sure the DP doesn't interfere.) I used four inch hose to all of these machines. Hose (6 & 4") is from Wynn Environmental -nice stuff but pricey-shipping charges on oversize packages are a killer. I made brackets, or standoffs, to hold the pipe and keep it off the ceiling and floor, using ply pieces cut to fit, and plastic pipe strap.

Originally posted by John Miliunus

Hi Joe. I'm not trying to be an a$$ about this, but what is driving your decision against a cyclone? I used to have the Wilke 2hp unit and it did an admirable job, ducted through 4" PVC and dumping through one of those seperation units. BUT, having moved up to a cyclone, I just can't see myself *ever* going back to a regular DC. That point is really driven home every time I dismount the cartridge filter and take it outside to blow it out with the air hose. There is just an unbelievable amount of fine particulate which comes off it every time. I'm talking massive amounts! I can honestly say that I have no noticeable dust hanging in the air when I'm using it and the frequency of changing filters on my air-cleaner unit is now less than halfed over what I used to with just a regular DC. I sincerely feel it was an investment in better health and environment. Just MHO, but something to seriously consider.

John-As I noted above, I was concerned about fitting a cyclone in my small space, although pictures I've seen since I've made my choice have me thinking that I probably could have swung it. As I noted above, however, cost was the primary driver. I just couldn't afford another dollar for this system. Given that I can only find, on average, about 10 hours a week or less to spend in the shop, less than half of which I'm guessing is dust producing time, I'm not too concerned with my level of exposure. I'm 51 now, and I'm guessing I'll be long dead before I start to see any ill effects from the about of dust that gets past my DC, air filter, and mask that I wear pretty religiously while producing dust.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks,

Oh yeah-Thanks to Boyd G. and Terry H. for answering my many questions.

Here are some pictures:

Boyd Gathwright
05-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi Tony,<O:p</O:p

Your pics are just fine, you’re getting in the details and that’s what counts. What kind of blast gate are you using? I don’t recognize the ones in your pics. Keep up the good work by keeping that dust level down.

Stay healthy and good luck.

Boyd :) :)

Originally Posted by Stan Smith

Hi Stan, thanks for asking. If you can reach all of your machines without moving your DC, you're either much more organized than I am or have a shop that's even smaller than mine, or both.

My system is built around the new Jet 2hp Cannister machine that I put up on a platform so I could fit the compressor underneath, and reconfigured-turning the blower around so my pipe would go the right direction. (Space is very tight.) I had doubts about fitting and configuring a cyclone in the available space, and couldn't afford it to boot-quite frankly I can't really afford what I did install. I think its gonna wind up costing me over a grand for the unit and all the duct and fittings, flex hose, blast gate materials, caulk, screws,etc. Everything is on wheels, ergo the flex, although I've made a semi-permanent connection to the TS, running the last few inches with flex hose, both because I had to to make it fit, and so that I can disconnect easily if I do have to move the saw.

I've got one trunk going to the table saw (cut a bigger hole for a 6" register boot), with a four inch wye/hose to the blade guard. The other trunk goes around the perimeter of my shop space at the ceiling, making 3-90 degree bends, one going up to the ceiling from the machine, the others at the corners. I have a 6" drop (6x6x6 wye with gate, about 10' of 6" flex) to the jointer and several four inch drops (6x6x6 wyes to gates, 6x4 galvanized reducers after the gates) at several locations for all my portable machines-SCMS, drum and oss, planer, band saw, router table. The drill press (not mobile) gets its own dedicated drop. (It appears I dropped that too low so I'm gonna have to cut some pipe to make sure the DP doesn't interfere.) I used four inch hose to all of these machines. Hose (6 & 4") is from Wynn Environmental -nice stuff but pricey-shipping charges on oversize packages are a killer. I made brackets, or standoffs, to hold the pipe and keep it off the ceiling and floor, using ply pieces cut to fit, and plastic pipe strap.

Originally posted by John Miliunus

John-As I noted above, I was concerned about fitting a cyclone in my small space, although pictures I've seen since I've made my choice have me thinking that I probably could have swung it. As I noted above, however, cost was the primary driver. I just couldn't afford another dollar for this system. Given that I can only find, on average, about 10 hours a week or less to spend in the shop, less than half of which I'm guessing is dust producing time, I'm not too concerned with my level of exposure. I'm 51 now, and I'm guessing I'll be long dead before I start to see any ill effects from the about of dust that gets past my DC, air filter, and mask that I wear pretty religiously while producing dust.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks,

Oh yeah-Thanks to Boyd G. and Terry H. for answering my many questions.

Here are some pictures:

Tony Sade
05-09-2004, 7:10 AM
Hi Boyd: The blast gates are homemade, based on Phil Bumbalough's model.

http://www.benchmark.20m.com/articles/BlastGate/blastgatebuilding.html

Most of them are made out of some left over 3/4" two sided melamine shelving. glued-in 6" PVC for the flanges, tempered masonite for the gate guides, 1/4" (more like 3/16") melamine for the gates, and some poplar dowel for the handles. I ran out of the melanmine shelving so I used some scrap 3/4" ply for the rest. This style is recommended on Bill P's site and they worked out fine for me. A little time consuming to build but the cost was minimal. Oh yeah, I used some iron-on melamine edging on the ones built out of shelving.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

:) :)

Tyler Howell
05-09-2004, 9:43 AM
[QUOTE=Tony Sade]

Tony,

Nice shop set up. Very clean DC system.:cool: Can we get another look at the Jet and your modifications??;)

TX

Yah! Just move all that sticked lumber there and get me a clean shot. Sorry I went back and see you have stuff in the way.:o

T.

Tony Sade
05-09-2004, 11:39 AM
The only thing I had to move was my lazy butt to go out to the garage to take a couple of pix.

I made two modifications to the Jet. First I turned the motor/blower 90 degrees so the inlet would face in the right direction. Then I moved the brackets holding the cannister/bag unit around so that the port would more squarely address the hose outlet. In other words, I wanted to get as straight a line as possible for the hose.

What I didn't realize was that by rotating the motor, I placed what I think is the motor air intake directly against the plastic bag. When it inflates, at rather significant pressure, it completely covers the air intake. My options now would appear to be 1)disassemble everything, drill new motor mount holes and slide the motor to the right as far as it will go (which will necessitiate undoing the blue loctite I put on the motor mounting bolts, and worse, disconnecting the duct so I can cut off the two horizontal runs by a corresponding amount) or 2) build some kind of standoff to cover the intake. I'm leaning strongly towards #2.

Am I right about needing to leave this intake uncovered? Will the motor work too hard/burn up/out if I don't?

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers, :)

nic obie
05-09-2004, 2:59 PM
Tony,

I'd either drill a bunch of holes in the sides of your motor cover or make a cage out of 1/2" wire mesh and attach it to the back of the cover leaving a inch or so gap between it and the motor cover. This would push the bag back and allow air to get in.

I think you are asking for trouble running it as it now is.

Tony Sade
05-09-2004, 8:05 PM
I already built a frame out of scrap that pushes the bag an inch or so off the motor cover. It should allow plenty of air to circulate until I find the time to move the whole assembly out a bit. Thanks, Tony

Tyler Howell
05-09-2004, 8:14 PM
[QUOTE=nic obie]Tony,

I'd either drill a bunch of holes in the sides of your motor cover or make a cage out of 1/2" wire mesh and attach it to the back of the cover leaving a inch or so gap between it and the motor cover. This would push the bag back and allow air to get in.

Very clean install and mod. I like Nic's idea of a cage, or a platform to sit the bag on above the motor. It will cut into capacity, but much easier than cuh, cuh, cutting the duct and moving the motor mount:( . I'm thinking a milk crate till you get your permanent fix.
Two nice.

TJH

Stan Smith
05-10-2004, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the pics (worth 1,000 words). You're setup is much more sophisticated than mine. Below is a pic of part of my shop. You can see where the dc sits it can reach the ts, sanding table, drum sander, planer (currently hooked up), and router table (foreground). The bs is just to the left of the router table and it reaches there also. I'm using a 10' hose with the fazlock connectors. I do have to roll the dc to reach the jointer which is to the right of the drum sander.