PDA

View Full Version : Best Stencil Material

Chris Hanson
09-02-2008, 6:17 PM
I have a friend who is a sailmaker. He uses a stencil to put on his logo (by hand with a brush) on his sails once completed.

He has been hand cutting them and I offered to cut one out for him with my laser.

His original was made of thin brass but he lost it. His current is made of what looks like cardstock that has been laquered.

It needs to be fairly thin and impervious to the paint. Any suggestions of a good laserable, thin material? I it is fairly small so it needs to laser very cleanly.

Thanks as always,

Chris

David Fairfield
09-02-2008, 6:25 PM
I haven't done any large stencils as I think you have in mind, but for small ones, I use self adhesive backed printer paper from the office supply store. It resists spray paint and stays where I put it. The important thing is it doesnt lift at the edges, when that happens you get underspray and the edges become fuzzy and amaturish.

Dave

Joe Pelonio
09-02-2008, 6:32 PM
The best thing would be plotter cut vinyl mask, adhesive back, for clean edges, but it's only good for one use.

I have done stencils in polytag, a polyester coated thin card stock, used for screenprinted political signs, and also thin (.015) polystyrene and 1/16" polycarbonate which seems to "pop off" the paint after dry and you flex it.

If he's careful not to bend (break) it you could use 1/16" acrylic.

Tony Lenkic
09-02-2008, 6:44 PM
This should do it.

http://www.laserstuff.ca/LaserTape.htm

You may use thin sheet of mylar. Very flexible and strong.

Chris Hanson
09-02-2008, 7:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. He definately wants something that he can reuse. Of all the suggestions for reusable materials, does anyone have a favorite?

It seems that polystyrene, polytag or mylar are the reusables suggested. Any suggestions where to purchase those in small amounts and who will ship via USPS? UPS,FedEx, etc. cost a fortune to here. This isn't something I need a lot of stock for.

Thanks again,

Chris

Mike Null
09-02-2008, 8:53 PM
You can get mylar from several sources and it is reusable and laserable. You can also use oilboard which is easily laserable.

http://www.customcutstencilco.com/machine.htm

Scott Shepherd
09-02-2008, 8:58 PM
Chris, PM me your address and I'll mail you a sample of Mylar. I just bought some for a job and before it got here, the customer brought the material to me, as they had ordered the material as well. It's thin, but I'll be happy to send you some if you want it, just PM me your address.

P.S. My parents just got back from Ketchikan! I think I even have a Ketchikan T-Shirt ;) I saw the photos. WOW. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

James Stokes
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I have used Formica for stencils. It holds up well and it is cheap.