PDA

View Full Version : Wood drying time question

Bob Hayhurst
09-02-2008, 5:36 PM
I recently cut a couple of pieces of sycamore that measure about 20 inches long and four inches in diameter. I have sealed the ends well and am wondering how long it will take to have them dry to a satisfactory condition to be able to turn something from them on a lathe. I have been keeping them in the sun all day for the past month with the bark still on. Should I remove the bark to help speed up the process? What kind of a time period am I looking at before they are relatively safe to turn without encompassing too much shrinkage or dimensional change and splitting after I turn a piece?

Thanks for any help.

Bob.

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 5:53 PM
You can turn them "now" (green) at least to rough and then use controlled drying methods prior to finish turning. 4" thick material would take many years to "dry", as it were...

Most turners start with wet or only partially dried material as it's easier to work. The exceptions to this are for things like pens and other spindle work as well as some boxs that require dimensional stability up-front.

curtis rosche
09-02-2008, 6:07 PM
look up the DNA procces on here, there is more drying and turning wet information. basically you turn wet wood, to a thickness of 10% diameter, then set away somewhere that it wont dry to fast or it will crack

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2008, 7:22 PM
You can rough turn it and let it dry. I turn them from start to finish green and then as soon as it is finished off the lathe I apply Antique oil or Danish oil.