PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolf BS Blades

Scott Coffelt
05-06-2004, 3:19 PM
I just ordered myself 4 blades for the G0513. They have a special going on right now if you order 3, they give you a free blade. I got a 3/4, 3/8, 1/4 and 3/16 for under $75. Seems like a good deal to me. A PS Wood from Woodcrafters was gonna cost me $50 by itself. I opted not to get a carbide tipped blade this go around.

Seems like quick service too, as the blades will go out in 2 days.

Dick Parr
05-06-2004, 3:25 PM
They are good blades and a good company to deal with.

Paul Downes
05-06-2004, 3:33 PM
Scott, I just ordered 2 t-wolf blades from www.ebandsawblades.com and thought I got a good deal at $50, I'm kicking myself right now. I also have the G0513 and really like it. I broke my grizzly blade sawing bowl blanks last week. Got in a hurry and applied too much pressure instead of letting the blade do the work. I got 20 or so blanks roughed out, cherry, hard maple, and box elder. I've got another 10 or so blocks waiting for the new blades. Also, I roughed out 2 boxelder bowls and have them soaking in LDD and water. When I get my digital camera download software fixed I'll try this posting pictures thing......

Scott Coffelt
05-06-2004, 4:10 PM
Paul,

Terry Hatfield told me about Suffolk and even gave me his recommendations on sizes. The guy who answered the phone was extremely helpful Asked what I planned to use it for and gave me some suggestions. I've always heard go things about their blades, so I guess we'll be finding out first hand. And yes I though the price was very reasonable, especially for four. They averaged about $20 a piece with the 3/4" 3 Hook AS being $27ish. Its a smooth cutting thin kerf. Keep them in mind the next go around with blades, or stock up while they have to special.

Wes Bischel
05-06-2004, 7:42 PM
I really like working with them. They always ask what I'm running the blades on so they have it in their database. I asked what to use for different metals on my little TomLee BS and they actually told me I had what I needed! (I still bought one blade to replace a dull blade).

Wes

Chris Padilla
05-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Scott,

Could you tell us specifically what blade styles you picked up? I am going to place an order for some urethane tires for my Dad's 16" W-T and also get him some new blades as well as get some blades for my MM20. I already have a 1" carbide Lenox on order courtesy of MiniMax...just need to decide on smaller width blades.

Scott Coffelt
05-07-2004, 8:44 AM
I picked up:

3/4 - 3 tooth - Hook - AS (3403AS)
3/8 - 4 tooth - ??? (3804PK)
1/4 - 10 tooth PK (???)
3/16 - 10 tooth PK (31610PK)

I left the actual part numbers at work and I am off today waiting for the delviery of my G0513. I will get the correct sizes on Monday and post. I knew I wanted the 3403AS, but the other sizes they asked me what I cut and gave me a good mix of blades to do that.

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 8:55 AM
I am going to place an order for some urethane tires for my Dad's 16" W-T and also get him some new blades as well as get some blades for my MM20.
The gentlefolks who answer the phone at Suffolk will ask you about what you (and/or your dad) want to do with a bandsaw and recommend the blade configurations appropriate. They are very consultive...and keep records so when you call back to reorder, they will have all the information they need to quickly help you.

Bob Johnson
05-07-2004, 9:19 AM
I ordered a 3/4 - 3 tooth - Hook - AS (3403AS) for my Jet 14" with riser saw. The blade wouldn't run true, it oscillated about a millimeter, bouncing off the thrust bearing. I talked with Tom at Suffolk, he said the camber appeared to be bad and sent me another blade. Same thing. Tom says that the 14 inch saws are very unforgiving and my saw appeared to be less forgiving than most. I've sent both 3/4 inch blades back and they'll send me a 1/2 inch blade. I really wanted to try the 3/4 inch blade, but when you can't afford a MM you live with what you have.

Bob

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 9:37 AM
Bob, some 14" saws will not track a 3/4" blade well or at all. If the 1/2" runs well, it will do everything the 3/4" blade will do in my experience. I only ever bought one 3/4" blade for the 14" Jet I used to own. It ran find, but I didn't seen anything to justify the extra cost over the 1/2" on that particular saw.

Mark Rios
05-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Along the lines of Jim's thought, I have used a number of TW 3/4" blades as well as the 1/2" blades for resawing/milling the walnut that I've been working on with my Grizzly G0555. While I haven't had ANY tracking problems with the 3/4" blades, the 1/2" blades have given me extremely reliable service in all my cutting with the exception of cutting up the root material. The 3/4" blade simply holds a straighter line (somewhat) over the 1/2" in this squirrely grain. However, in EVERYTHING else, including some full 11' and 12" thick, regular grain material, the 1/2" blade is wonderful.

Bob Hovde
05-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered four blades for my new Jet 18". Suffolk's Tech Support made good blade suggestions for my planned use and then gave me the most expensive blade free! Great service!

Bob

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I ordered 2 urethane tires and an 1/8" 14 tooth and 3/4" AS-S for the old man's 16" W-T and I picked up an 1/8" 14 tooth, 1/4" 6 tooth, 1/2" 4 tooth, and 1" 3 tooth for my MM20. I already have a 1" Lenox carbide coming for the MM20 (got a good deal from Mini-Max)...I'll reserve that blade for special woods. Total, including a freebie, was $185! Not bad, not bad. :)

In case you guys weren't aware, Timberwolf now makes a 1" carbide bandsaw blade but they don't recommend it be used on anything smaller than an 18" wheel. Quote for my MM20 (168" blade) was $210.

Scott Coffelt
05-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Sounds great Chris.

nic obie
05-07-2004, 1:06 PM
Hi Chris,

Did you order the cool block holders from Minimax in order to run the 1/8" blades?

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 1:56 PM
Did you order the cool block holders from Minimax in order to run the 1/8" blades?
They are not yet shipping, but should be available "real soon now"...

Alan Turner
05-07-2004, 2:46 PM
Chirs,
IIRC, my 1" carbide Lennox was about $170, @ 162" for my Agazzani. $210 seems a bit rugged, perhaps. I use it for just about everything, and have 2 years on it now, without any loss of cutting quality. I'll just cross my fingers that that continues.
Alan

Byron Trantham
05-07-2004, 2:50 PM
Scott, I use and love Timberwolf blades. My first purchase was from Woodcraft :( . My last purchase was from Sufolk. They were very nice and helpful and CHEAPER! :D Ah, life is good.

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 3:53 PM
Hi Chris,

Hey Nic,

I think Jim covered that question but I am a newbie when it comes to the bandsaw so I didn't even know I needed cool blocks to run a thin blade. I picked up Mark Duginske's DVD off of eBay and last night I watched it and learned quite a bit. He cut with a 1/16" blade on there but I see Timberwolf doesn't make one that small. Neat part, Mark broke his 1/16" blade while cutting. Nice that they left that in there! :)

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 3:55 PM
Chris,
IIRC, my 1" carbide Lennox was about $170, @ 162" for my Agazzani. $210 seems a bit rugged, perhaps. I use it for just about everything, and have 2 years on it now, without any loss of cutting quality. I'll just cross my fingers that that continues.
Alan
Alan,

Mini-Max (Jim Strain) offered me the 1" Lenox Carbide for $145 so I couldn't pass that price up! I am glad to hear of your experience with it. It sounds like you are getting your money's worth.

Aaron Heck
05-07-2004, 9:55 PM
They are not yet shipping, but should be available "real soon now"...

I got an email from Jim Strain several weeks ago that said he had coolblocks available. I think Mark's are still several weeks off. I'm still trying to decide if I need them for my MM16. They are also listed on the MM page.

Aaron

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
I got an email from Jim Strain several weeks ago that said he had coolblocks available. I think Mark's are still several weeks off. I'm still trying to decide if I need them for my MM16. They are also listed on the MM page.
Michael told me on Friday they were not yet ready to go...but he only works for Jim. Maybe Jim is sending them to his "special people" first...hee hee

As to needing them, if you aren't going to use narrow blades you don't need them. I plan on using them for anything 1/4" and under. 1/4" will run fine with the Euro guides but the Cool Blocks are easier to deal with in adjusting since they can touch the teeth with no detrimental effects. Under 1/4" definitely is a problem with the Euro guides. I don't use really narrow blades much at all, but you never know when you might find that perfect piece of wood to make a bandsawn box or something!