PDA

View Full Version : Melamine construction question

Tony Kennick
09-02-2008, 1:19 PM
I am building a folding table for a friend (approx 34"L x 30" wide x 34" tall) based on a folding table I saw utilizing one sheet of plywood (3/4"). The table legs (2 - 30x34 pieces of plywood) fold down using piano hinges. Once open, two support wings fold out, also on piano hinges, and attach with some all-thread and a t-nut. A pretty clever design as it all folds into a square about 4" thick.
Anyways...on to my question. My friend wants his top to be melamine vice the plywood. All the melamine I have seen has a particle board core so I am wondering if I need to use anything other than #8 screws and glue when attaching the 3/4" x 2" strips (I am using red oak) to the bottom of the top that the hinges are attached to for the legs and the support wings? I hope my question is not too cryptic. Thanks. Tony

John Lucas
09-02-2008, 2:31 PM
Tony,
I think friend is nuts. Not really. But melamine is usually on particle core board and to use that in the use he intends is nuts. Use plywood and formica the surface...that is almost the same as melemine. If you think F is too expensive, then use vertical grade Formica...less expensive and not as thick but should work,

Tony Kennick
09-02-2008, 4:01 PM
John, Thanks for your insight. I am going with the formica option now. We had discussed that when coming up with the specs but thought we would try this first if possible. Tony