PDA

View Full Version : London bound

Doug Ball
03-11-2003, 9:36 PM
Our family is heading to London for a week of vacation. I'm interested in whether any UK (or other) posters can suggest some WW high points in the greater London area. Classic limewood carvings by Grinling Gibbons seem to be on everyone's list. Any suggestions?

Doug

Paul Di Biasio
03-11-2003, 10:32 PM
When you get there check which days they sell the woodworking tools at Portobello Market. Easy ride in the tube. I think it was Saturday mornings. You don't want to miss it. I got some great stuff.

ChittyChittyBang Bang was a great play. I loved the Churchill War Rooms, British Museum and Towers of London. Don't waste your time with the Museum of London.

Von Bickley
03-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Doug,

Wishing you and your family a safe and enjoyable trip.

Howard Barlow
03-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Queen Anne Italian Restaurant, 79 Victoria St. Don't eat British food, well, you can't, it's not edible.:D

Ian Barley
03-12-2003, 3:18 AM
Hope that you and your family have a great week over here.

I'm not that expert on where you will find Gibbins carvings but can recomend a couple of less obvious places to visit where there are great examples of old craftsmanship.

Hampton Court Palace is famous for gardens but the palace itself is one of my favourites. It was a tudor (Henry VIII) palace and the tour is very well done.

Less famous is Ham house. This is a smaller place quite close to Hampton Court very well presented and a nice bite sized visit.

Natural History museum is impressive but not very woodworking oriented. They do have a section through a seqouia which is marked up with significant dates in history linked to the annual growth rings. Quite awe inspiring. Science museum is also good fun.

There are attractions enough to fill your week many times over but these are the oes that spring to mind at the moment. Will post some more if I have time.

Don't believe what they say about food. We've moved on a long way in that area in the last few years.

Regards

Ian

Ian Barley
03-12-2003, 3:21 AM
What do you know - after shooting my mouth off I did a quick web search and found the following. I kinda thought the work at Hampton court was Gibbons'.

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/gibbons.htm

Jim Izat
03-12-2003, 7:36 AM
I take exception to the derision of British food. I truly love it, and British ales that go with it. Come to think of it I probably remember the ales and lagers better....

Jim Izat

Don't forget to look for the occasional old woodworking book whilst across the pond. There's some real treasures to be had for a song. Booksellers abound!

Rod Peterson
03-12-2003, 8:07 AM
<br>
I would never turn down an opportunity to go back to London. It's just as Johnson said (roughly), "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Get a seven day tube pass. It's good not only for the subway (tube), but gets you on the buses and the 1st tier railroads. I think it was about £30.

Can't miss places (in my opinion), in no particular order :<ul><li>British Museum
<li>Cabinet War Rooms
<li>Westminster Abbey
<li>St. Pauls Cathedral
<li>Tower of London
<li>Banqueting Hall
<li>British War Museum
<li>Hampton Court
<li>Cutty Sark, Royal Naval Museum - both in Greenwich (ride a river boat down there, take the bus back, or walk under the river to the Docklands Light Railway station across the Thames and take it back to tube connections)
<li>London Transport Museum
<li>Hyde Park
</ul>
The Changing of the Guard is worth seeing, but probably only because you're supposed to if you go to London. Check the schedule; they haven't been doing it daily for several years now.

The Millenium Wheel wasn't there when I was last in London, but I'm told it's impressive. I will go on my next trip.

If you're flying into Heathrow, the Picadilly tube line runs from all terminals into London; no need for taxis, buses, or limos. And all the cars on the Picadilly line have extra space for luggage.

Get play tickets (you have to see at least a couple) at the half price kiosk at Leicester (pronounced <i>Lester</i>) Square the day of.

Take your most comfortable walking shoes; don't break in a new pair there. You will walk a <b>lot</b>. I've never soaked my feet at night before or since, but I did there. You will, too.

The triangle from Westminster to Trafalgar Square to Victoria Statue (in front of Buckingham Palace) back to Westminster is all relatively easy walking distance but will cover quite a few sites not on the list above.

I've wanted to see the Thames Barrier (below Greenwich) but didn't get it in the last couple of trips - next time.

One of the double decker bus loop tours is worthwhile to get a feel of places to see and where they are for later visiting.

I've forgotten some things but that's alright; it's yours to discover. You won't cover it all in a week, anyway. Have fun.

Howard Barlow
03-12-2003, 1:48 PM
I have a friend, Peter Churms, who lives in Farnborough. He's a pilot for BA. I get to visit him once or twice a year on my way to or from Russia.

You're right, Jim, there are some good British foods. Some. Just try to find a T-bone. Or a COLD Coke.:D

Lee Schierer
03-12-2003, 2:23 PM
I found that nearly all the pubs in London have a bar and another room for dinidng. In the bar you get bar food, but the dinidng rooms have real menus and daily specials. I ate well when I ws there.

Other posts have named all the places I would recommend. Walkiing in London is a great way to see things. They have street vendors and nice delis for lunches.

Take the beefeater tour at the Tower!!! And look at the machinery that moves the draw bridge at tower bridge.

Ian Barley
03-12-2003, 5:28 PM
Forgot to add - Doug, Howard - anybody who is passing - your also always welcome to drop in on me for a coffee and a chat. I'm not quite london (about 35 miles out) but the kettle is always on.

Howard Barlow
03-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Ian Barley
Forgot to add - Doug, Howard - anybody who is passing - your also always welcome to drop in on me for a coffee and a chat. I'm not quite london (about 35 miles out) but the kettle is always on.

Thanks Ian. I'll try to take you up on that in September.

Monday we're heading back to Russia, but on Lufthansa this time. I'll just have to wave as I go by. Chances are we will be in Farnborough in September on a return trip.

Chris Knight
03-13-2003, 9:50 AM
I live in the UK.

You will do well to visit the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) The new British Galleries have an abundance of fine furniture and an amazing carving by Gibbons.

You can also see Gibbons work in the Chelsea Hospital (The famous retirement home for old army pensioners on the Embankment - where the flower show is held).

You might also like to visit the Wallace Collection - some great furniture (http://www.wallacecollection.org/contact_us/index_contact.htm)

The Geffrye Museum is also well worth a visit too
(http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/).

Chris

William Parks
03-13-2003, 2:15 PM
Excellent thread and timely! SWMBO won a trip to the south of France in September, and we were planning on taking an extra week and stay in London. Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations. Saves me from having to read all those travel books she bought.

Bill

William Parks
03-13-2003, 2:26 PM
Excellent thread and timely! SWMBO won a trip to the south of France in September, and we were planning on taking an extra week and stay in London. Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations. Saves me from having to read all those travel books she bought.

Bill

Doug Ball
03-13-2003, 8:50 PM
I want to thank everyone for the generous responses. Quite an outpouring of great ideas and enthusiastic choices. I thank you all!