PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Missing Statements?

Russ Filtz
09-02-2008, 8:20 AM
I swear credit card companies purposely don't send statements just so they can charge you a late fee. I typically put all statements in my brief case immediately each day, so I don't think I lose them, but it's possible I guess. Doesn't happen every month, but enough to wonder. Couple times a year maybe. I think they have a diabolical scheme to not send out statements to a rotating percent each month!

I have several cards (cough, cough), so it's easy to lose track if I don't have the statement in hand. Anyone else have this happen, or is it just me losing statements?

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 8:38 AM
I don't get paper statements...only electronic email notification and downloads into Quicken...and I also pay online, pre-scheduling the date for the day before the actual due-date to continue earning interest on the "float".

Even if you still prefer to get paper statements, set up your accounts so they email you with reminders.

Russ Filtz
09-02-2008, 8:50 AM
You're too organized for me! I pay online, but haven't set up notices yet. I could even do it in Outlook without going the email route I guess.

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 8:59 AM
Do whatever you can do to stay ahead of the CC companies. I only deal with AMEX and my own bank for these and they are pretty good about things, but there are many CC issuers that will do (or not do) anything to keep you paying fees and increased rates. It's an industry that's out of control in too many respects.

glenn bradley
09-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I get statements on some cards where I require them. Everything else goes through my online area whether I get paper or not. I also get emailed to know the statement has been generated. Almost all established creditors can do this for you individually if your bank cannot do it collectively.

Rich Konopka
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Keep and eye on your statements for the due dates. We just discovered that 2 cards reduced the window for payment. They just knocked off 3 days from the previous 23 days to 20 days and 23 days to 21days. They are out to screw you with late fee's.

Robert Eiffert
09-02-2008, 11:57 AM
You can also set up your bank bill payer to pay a specific $$ each month (before the due date). Then make an extra payment for the balance or as needed. No late/missed payment charges that way.

Maybe pull extra CCs out of wallet and just use one or two.

Doug Jones from Oregon
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I realize that my method is not the best method financially, but it works for me.

I get my statements emailed to me and I go directly from the email to pay them, same moment. This way I do not have to worry at all for the next month as to if I paid it or not.

Can't remember ever getting hit with a late payment charge.

Doug

Mitchell Andrus
09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I pay at least $50.00 a month automatically on all 3 of my cards in the middle of the month - I don't even have to think about it. I then enter what ever else I need to at the end of the month. If the $50.00 over pays a bit, so be it. Easy to do, most banks have the free service available.

David G Baker
09-02-2008, 3:41 PM
I have never "not" received my credit card statement. I have had the same credit card company for at least 20 years or more and if they try any funny stuff with charging me fees, the card and company will be history as far as my using them.
My local home town bank was swallowed by a larger bank. I had $10,000 in my savings account when the new owners took over. The new owners sent me a notification that they would be charging me $5.00 a month service charge if the account was inactive. That would add up to $60 a year. With the horribly low rate of interest paid by this same bank, the penalty was more than the annual interest. I moved all of my financial business to a local credit union that paid double the interest rate and had no service charge penalties. This same local credit union also has a credit card that offers a much better rate than my existing company but I am holding out for the day when my present card tries to sneak something past me. I also pay all of my credit card balance every month and have a fair grace period so my company hasn't made a penny off of me in years.

Tom Veatch
09-02-2008, 6:14 PM
... Anyone else have this happen, or is it just me losing statements?

Not me. As other's have said, sign up for emailed statements and alerts. I don't get paper statements at all. If I need the paper, the online statement can be printed.

All my financial accounts are handled in Quicken. Every morning, scheduled updates download transactions entered the night before. That way, I know almost immediately if anything "funny" is going on with the account and have complete, up-to-date visibility of the current balance. Scheduled transactions either from Quicken or from the CC company itself pay the full balance on or before the due date so I never pay interest or late fees. On that note, it's somewhat humorous to get those phone calls from CC companies offering to lower my interest rate. None of them have yet been willing to offer negative interest rates which is the only way they could improve my CC interest expenses.

Among my non-negotiable requirements for any financial institution; bank, credit card, credit union, brokerage house, etc, are paperless statements, online access, and transaction downloads.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-02-2008, 6:29 PM
I too noticed that my grace period reduced a lot in the last 2 years. At one time it was 30 days. Now it's about 14 days.

Redeeming credit point awards has been made more difficult. It's not online anymore. You have to call and request a catalog. And, the phone number is not published anywhere nor available thru the normal service number.

As Jim said, this industry is out of control. I'm getting ready to go back to cash and hope I don't get rolled in the parking lot.

-Jeff :)

mark page
09-02-2008, 6:56 PM
I still opt for both paper statements, plus email notifications. As a safeguard I have Quicken remind me appx 5 days in advance for all re-occuring monthly bills. If I owe to any of them, they get paid, if I don't, they get "skipped" till next month. This just safeguards things for me, such as the kids got the mail and it didn't get put where it should of. Then bills such as the cell phone and CC's get paid online, and others such as mortgage, utilities, etc. where I want a photocopy of the check gets paid in paper.

Greg Just
09-02-2008, 8:44 PM
If you ever get charged a late payment and you did not get a statement, call the credit card company. My experience is that if you are nice to the person they can wave the fee provided you make a payment. Happened to me at HD. If you are nasty on the phone, chances are they won't do a thing. Kindness goes a long way