PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit reccomendation.

Dan Mages
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
I just ordered a PC 895 router kit. Now I need a decent set of router bits to go with it. Any reccomendations??

Thanks!!

Dan

Todd Burch
05-06-2004, 12:08 PM
I tend to gravitate towards Amana & Whiteside.

I purchased new in the box 30 piece set of MLCS bits from a retired woodworker, and while they cut OK, the bearings are freezing up, after not that much use.

I bought some WoodLine Arizona bits at a show, as the price was attractive, and they didn't hold an edge very long. My sharpening guy told me that while they are carbide, they are probably only M1 carbide.

Todd

Jim Becker
05-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Recommendation: Don't buy sets, in general. Buy the bits you need or feel you will use and buy good quality. The only time I personally break this rule is when I want a "set" of the same profile in different sizes...they can be cost effective. The large sets that are out there generally contain a lot of profiles you'll never use and many times may be of lesser quality--even from the same manufacturer as "good" cutters.

I like to stay with well-known brands, too. I used to buy and recommend Jesada, but that company was sold awhile back and there have been a significant number reports of poor or non-existent customer service. I prefer USA-made cutters in most cases, but buy Freud for panel raisers as I like the clean cutting "2+2" design with alternating shear angles. I've been happy with Amana, Eagle America, Freud and CMT and will likely try Infinity as the CEO is the son of the fellow that previously started and owned Jesada prior to its sale.

Byron Trantham
05-06-2004, 12:24 PM
I have bought Freud and MLCS bits. The freud bits hold the edge longer but frankly I have had good luck with MLCD bits. I agree with the guys, don't buy sets. Buy good ones, one at a time as you need them.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-06-2004, 4:36 PM
Dan
I vote for Whiteside Router bits
Daniel :confused:

Robert Ducharme
05-06-2004, 4:38 PM
Whiteside - all my good ones are of this type.

scott spencer
05-06-2004, 6:33 PM
Dan - My best bits are Whiteside, but I guess I tend to go against the flow regarding sets. My first router bits were from a 15 piece MLCS set. At $40 for a decent selection of reasonably good quality bits for average use, it's hard to go wrong. It gave me a chance to find out what bits I like and used alot without spending alot of money. (I couldn't spend more money then and would have gotten 2 top quality bits without knowing which profiles to get). That set is over three years old now and some of the cutters have a fair amount of hobbyist use. As these bits wear out, I'm replacing with better quality. I'm still going with value bits for profiles I don't use often. MLCS' Katana line is a nice compromise between the higher cost bits of Whiteside, Amana, CMT, etc., and the MLCS and Woodline bargain bits. Others that I consider in the middle like the Katana are Grizzly's purple line and PriceCutter brand (they're associated with Eagle America).

If I made my living with a router or really gave them very heavy use, I'd definitely recommend going top shelf. Alot depends on your usage....they all cut pretty well for a while. The better bits cut well for a longer time.

Lynn Sonier
05-06-2004, 6:55 PM
I had been dealing almost exclusively with Jesada until recently. I tried several times to get in touch with them about an order and failed. I then started using Rocker bits, which seem pretty good.

Chris Padilla
05-06-2004, 9:01 PM
I'm an all CMT guy. I normally only buy sets for raised panel although I did pick up CMT's Incra set. So far, so good...I like these bits.

Joseph N. Myers
05-06-2004, 9:06 PM
Dan,

The link is from Fine Woodworking some 5-6 years ago. The test was done using a straight and round over bits and both worked about the same. Except for the Jesada straight bit; it was rejected because it broke (more than once). Jesada did find the problem with it and corrected it some 4 months later.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045_sb2.asp

Granted the information is somewhat old but if you look at it, you'll find that it sort of matches what others are saying. That is that Whiteside is rated #1, Freud rated # 4 and MLCS #6 (and Jesada 17 out of 17 because of their problem).

I was buying Jesada and Freud before I switched to Carb-Tech (rated #9) which was being sold by Woodworker's Warehouse. Now that they are out of business, I'm not sure where I'll go. Originally, I was buying MLCS as they are about 10 miles from here but stop using them when anti-kickback starting coming out. MLCS also carries a brand called Katana which the guys at MLCS speak highly of but they are 60-80% more than the MLCS brand.

Good Luck, Joe

Dean Baumgartner
05-06-2004, 9:53 PM
I have to go along with Scott on this one. I did the same thing. When I was starting out I bought a cheapie carbide 15 bit set. Didn't really know what I wanted or what I could do with the router. The low cost multi bit set was a good way to have a bunch try without spending more on the bits than the router was at first. The commonly used bit have been replaced with Freud and I'm happy with them the others are still there and work fine for occasional use.

Dean

Dan Mages
05-07-2004, 8:00 AM
Alrighty!! I'll wait for my router to come in a look at a flush cutting bit and a 1/8 round over bit for it.

Thanks for the advise.

Dan

Kent Cori
05-07-2004, 9:25 AM
I'm with Scott on the 1/2" shank MLCS set. For under $3 per bit and free shipping, it is a great bargain. I've used all but a couple of the bits in the past two years. As I need an individual bit, I've been buying Whiteside, Amana and Freud bits. All seem to be of very high quality. My panel raising set is a Freud and like Jim Becker, I really like their 2+2 design.

Dan Mages
05-07-2004, 9:52 AM
Where can I find these MLCS bits?

Steve Evans
05-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Right here http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

Donnie Raines
05-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I have many name brand bits..all work well. However, I have found that my local sharpening service offers some "shop built" bits that are one of a kinds. They are solid carbide and are priced very well. I suggest that you call your local service and see what they offer. Plus, they can make special bits for you..at a very reasonable price.

Donnie Raines

Hal Flynt
05-07-2004, 4:00 PM
I have tried numerous brands. I haven't had any trouble with my MLCS verticle raised panel and cope and stick set. I have more Jesada than any other brand. I like Whiteside and Amana too. The only carbide bit I was dissapointed with was a 3/4" dado from DeWalt. It became dull and had a visible wear line where I cut a bunch of dado's in some MDF.

I second buying profiles you need rather than sets generally. Some sets make sense like a door making set if you don't already have a bit in that set.

Some Links:

http://www.amanatool.com/buyonline_st.htm Amana bits

http://iseek.com/Projects/omnicat5/index.php?cat_id=0 Jesada

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ MLCS

http://www.woodbits.com/Scripts/default.asp Woodline Arizona

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/ Whiteside

Todd Burch
05-07-2004, 4:42 PM
No affliliation, but just got this email blurb from Penn State Industries:

This week is a special deal on MLCS's most popular Anniversary Router Bit Assortment-
the 30 Piece Carbide-tipped Set. At $3.33 per bit, this set has been one of their
most popular since its introduction for MLCS's 25th anniversary in 2000.
Now, they're offering an even bigger savings for a short time. For details,
follow the link below:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/sp040505.htm

Jack Diemer
05-07-2004, 4:45 PM
I use Woodline bits, they are cheap and have a lifetime warranty. Never had a problem yet.

James Carmichael
05-07-2004, 5:52 PM
Ditto MLCS, buying high end stuff starting out is kinda like buying a set, wait till you really get into it and figure out what your needs will be, then spend the money on really good bits that will last.

I have 3 specific recommendations:

1. Get 1/2" shanks
2. Get a bottom-bearing flush trim bit with at least 1" CL. Incredibly useful for edge-jointing.
3. Instead of buying a buch of different size straight bits for cutting grooves & dados, get one or two top-bearing flush-trim or pattern-cutting bits and make yourself a dado-jig. I think a dado-jig plan was posted out here recently, but with the jig and a top-bearing straight bit, you can cut any size dado to fit your stock. Wish I'd known that one starting out:-)