PDA

View Full Version : Photo set up

Don Kondra
09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Greetings,

I hope some will find this helpful...

The object of the shoot is a green hollow turning by Michael Hosaluk.

Manitoba maple burl circa 1985.

The lights are CF bulbs, the new energy saver fluorescent twisty type with a 5000k rating.

The two side lights have 65w bulbs in 10" reflectors with shoot through satin umbrellas. The main light camera right is a 4 bulb x 27w in a 16" reflector with nylon diffuser.

I figure I have a combined equivalent of 800w incandescent so it is important to have the shooting location as dark as possible. During the day I just hang large sheets of cardboard on the windows.

The paper back drop is "focus gray". I cut the 9' roll into a 6' and a 3'.

Contact me if you would like more info and costs on the lights.

Olympus E-510 with 18-180mm @ 105mm, 1/8, f 8, iso 100

I set the metering and focus to center point, just in front of the top opening. This will generally give me a cleaner image and I crop later to center it.

With such a slow speed I used a 2 second delay.

I developed the raw file with Master and did some minor adjustments and small crop in FastStone Image Viewer, a pretty good free editor.

NOTE. The photo set up shows the camera location for a shot with a 50mm lens, for the 18-180 the tripod is moved back to beside the main light... the light stand on the far right is not in use...

Cheers, Don

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the info Don! Looks like you have quite the setup! Lot of folks here just starting to figure out this photo stuff - lots harder than turning! (and can be just as expensive!!)

Don Kondra
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
My pleasure Steve,

I don't think cost should scare anyone off from taking better pictures.

This set up is for larger pieces and I am set up to do product photography for myself and for hire.

The key is the 5000k lights, clamp on light reflectors can be had for not much money.

The lights aren't even necessary if you have a good spot for daylight shooting and use white foam board or even tin foil as reflectors.

A continuous paper backdrop is a good idea, I've also seen good results with muslin. Or a salvaged slide projector screen.

You also don't need a wing ding camera, I've had a photo published in Fine Woodworking taken with a 2 mp Kodak Point and Shoot.

Give it a shot, no pun intended :)

And post your results here, I've read lots of good advice being offered.

Cheers, Don

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 7:46 AM
Don, wonderful shoot! Lots of light in the right places and no nasty hot spots or shadows in inappropriate places. Nice!

Mike Vickery
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Very nice piece and picture.