PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Gloat

Tom Wiarda
09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I went to the Labor Day flea market in Howard City Michigan today and found some nice tools. None cost more than $5.
1. Two Fray braces. The first one is an early Spofford type with a cast iron top knob and no center handle. The mark is very faint but I can make out the date 1859. The second one is an unusual non-Spofford type with split shaft jaws for the chuck and a threaded sleeve arrangement. It has the split rosewood side handle with pewter rings. There are no markings but both braces are pictured and described on the Sydnas Sloot website. At this same flea market earlier this summer I found another Fray spofford brace. A light cleaning and a little oil was all it took to get them into working condition.
2. Two Stanley sliding bevels- a model #14 and a model #25. Both are older models in good condition.
3. A handsaw with a nice nib but no visible etch or medallion. There is a metal plate on one side of the handle and 4 brass split nuts. I took it apart for cleaning. Can anyone identify the maker based on the picture of the handle?
Thanks for looking, Tom