PDA

View Full Version : Oil vs. Oilless compressor? Thoughts?

Chris Brault
09-01-2008, 9:11 PM
I was just curious on your guys thoughts on a compressor (110 volt) in the 15 gallon (dewalt) to 35 gallon range on whether to get oil or oilless? I'm leaning towards oilless and I can't go bigger because i'm limited to 110 volt. Thanks- Any other thoughts appreciated (Will use it for spraying lacquer ,,, among other things)

Dave Lehnert
09-01-2008, 9:25 PM
At work we had an oil-less compressor and that thing ran so loud you could not talk to the guy next to you. I have an oil compressor at home. It is not quiet but you can at least talk over it.

Doug Shepard
09-01-2008, 9:34 PM
Supposedly there are makes of oil-less compressors out there that dont require hearing protection but I dont have any experience with them. The one CMan I bought got returned after an hour for the oil version. That oil-less was loud enough to wake the dead - in the next state.

Rollie Meyers
09-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Most oilless compressors will be in the scrapyard or dump in short order VS a oil type.

Mark Mack
09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I have a 26-gallon horizontal oil lubricated compressor I have had for years that runs on 110 volt. I used it for painting a car once and it worked great. Slow at times waiting for the tank to fill, but great in other respects.

Mark

Rick Fisher
09-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Oil less compressors are disposable. They start to die from the first time you turn them on.

Oiled compressors, if maintained, will run for decades. They are quieter as well.

Gene Michael
09-01-2008, 11:28 PM
My oilless Porter Cable pancake compressor lasted for just over two years with light to moderate use, then died. For a $179 compressor, it wasn't very impressive. Go with the oil lubricated!

Denny Rice
09-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Oil less compressors are disposable. They start to die from the first time you turn them on.

Oiled compressors, if maintained, will run for decades. They are quieter as well.

I agree with Rick. I have 2 compressors a very large IR 2 stage 80 gallon compressor and I also have a small portable Porter Cable compressor on wheels it also is a oil style compressor. My IR is a very large and very heavy compressor bolted down to the concerte floor in my shop (220V) but I needed a small compressor to take on location, and I wanted one that would last and the PC has filled all my expecations. PC builds this compressor both in a oiled version and also makes a oiless version. The oiled version of the compressor is about 50.00 more but well worth it, it is a much quieter compressor than the oiless version, and by keeping clean oil in this compressor I am sure it runs cooler than a oiless compressor. Both compressors I own I keep oiled with IR non detergent air compressor oil. It is a full synthetic oil and its amazing how clean this oil really is when I change it. I have seen some real cheap oiless compressors out there and while my PC compressor was around 300.00 its a great little compressor that can keep up with every nail gun I own. If your like me and don't like buying "disposible tools" don't buy a oiless compressor, while they may last a couple of years you will find yourself rebuilding the oiless pancake compressor if not buying a new one.

David G Baker
09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I have an airless that I have been using for 7 years. I don't use it every day but enough to qualify as medium usage and have no complaint. I use it for tire inflation and my 5 Senco guns. I would not depend on my airless for spraying, I would get a HVLP unit if I planned on doing much finishing and an oil style for heavy painting or tool operating. I also have an airless set up for exterior painting.

Narayan Nayar
09-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I got a Thomas oil-free compressor (T-30HP). It's a large pancake unit and it's really quiet (more quiet than most oiled versions). Quiet, well-built compressors are kind of Thomas' schtick. Gets very high ratings from pretty much everyone.

I don't use it for much--blowing off dust, a finish, brad, and crown stapler, the occasional bike tire. But when I do it works well and it's one of the quieter power tools in my shop.

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 8:08 AM
Go oiled and get as large a tank as you can support since you'll be spraying. (You'll still need a dedicated 20 amp circuit for it) A good example is the IR Garagemate.

Pete Clifford
09-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I have both a PC oil-less pancake as well as a Makita oiled. The PC has worked well for the last three years of light use, but it is LOUD! In contrast, the Makita is significantly heavier but is quiet enough that I can use it without hearing protection.

For a compressor that is not going to be moved much, I would suggest getting an oiled one for the increased longevity and decreased noise. However, for a small lightweight compressor that is easy to carry, you may need to look at oil-free.

Paul Gatti
09-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Another vote for oiled. They run quieter and last longer.

Ron Bontz
09-02-2008, 3:02 PM
Hi. Just my nickles worth. I spoke to a Dewalt rep. last year and was told the oil free compressors have a run time of about 500 hours then need to be rebuilt. I think that number is a little high based on what I have read from other people. On the other hand I have had a horizontal 20 Gal. Sear's commercial compressor for about 25 years. 2 hp. 220volt. Still runs like a champ and runs air tools etc. The only down side to this one is it is noisy. My next compressor will be an oil lube vertical and quieter I hope.

Stan Smith
09-02-2008, 5:04 PM
I have a 26-gallon horizontal oil lubricated compressor I have had for years that runs on 110 volt. I used it for painting a car once and it worked great. Slow at times waiting for the tank to fill, but great in other respects.

Mark

I have the same size made by portercable. It has a belt drive. It's on wheels so that I can use it for nailing around the house without having to have it plugged in all the time. Don't forget to add a couple of drops of oil to your air tools.