PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new router table and stand

Philip Florio
09-01-2008, 8:24 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for a new router table/stand for my Milwaukee router.

I have a Shop Fox router table/stand that I want to replace because it takes up too much space plus it's a hassle to go behind it and lift the table just to replace a bit.

It would be nice to find one that I can use my Milwaukee with but if I must use another that's okay.

Any thoughts on Rockler or others?

Thanks,
Phil

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 8:47 PM
Actually, what you're going to almost universally hear is to build your own router table setup. You get much more flexibility in design and can make it to work with any router and table routing need you might have. Most of the commercial offerings are over priced for what you get...I'll make the one exception being the Bench Dog cast iron top which is outstanding, despite the high cost. But, you either need to use it as a table saw extension wing or build a cabinet to support it.

Philip Florio
09-01-2008, 8:57 PM
You're right, I thought of building my own but with Christmas coming along with birthdays and anniversaries, the time to design and build one most likely won't be until the first of the year.

Since I make gifts for the above occasions and being a novice I'll just have enough time for the gift making.

Any thoughts on a good plan for one?

Thanks,
Phil

Norm St.Onge
09-01-2008, 9:29 PM
Phil - I'm not a router guru so take this for what it's worth. I bought the Kreg router table and really like it. The stand itself is rock solid, bomb proof, and with the locking casters it moves around the shop easily. The 'self adjusting fence' works quite well, although, despite Kreg's advertising, is not quite as simple to operate as a table saw fence. The precision fence adjustment is really nice. I use a Milwaukee 1-3/4 and Milwaukee 2-1/4 router in it and the controls and adjustments are very easy to reach.

I paid $450 with free shipping from Amazon.

-Norm

Joe Fusco
09-01-2008, 9:46 PM
Philip,

I too am a fan of making your own tables if you can. My most resent one is made from 1" MDF and uses the Porter Cable 894PK Router (http://www.josephfusco.org/Reviews/Porter%20Cable%20894PK.html) with its built-in lift. Works really well, quick and easy to make.

glenn bradley
09-02-2008, 1:08 AM
You're right, I thought of building my own but with Christmas coming along with birthdays and anniversaries, the time to design and build one most likely won't be until the first of the year.

Just a half-way option; I bought my top and eventually built a cabinet around it. Also, although mine is a router cabinet it does attach to my TS where a second left wing would go. so the increase in consumed real estate is only about 12" x 27".

Thomas Pender
09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
My first and still most used router table is from Rockler. I also use the jess em lift they sell and use Bosch routers although they sell it with the really good Porter Cable in mind. You can buy the wooden one or the steel one - the wheels are worth it. Also, when I got the Jess Em, I used the aluminum plate that was left over and mounted it on my plunge router for making tenons on a Pat Warner style tenon jig (I modified the design) - that way I can make tenons on really big peices of wood - e.g., 8" and the plate is big enough to span that.

Regardless, I recommend you give Rockler a look.

Glenn Howard
09-02-2008, 4:49 PM
My first and still most used router table is from Rockler. I also use the jess em lift they sell and use Bosch routers although they sell it with the really good Porter Cable in mind. You can buy the wooden one or the steel one - the wheels are worth it. Also, when I got the Jess Em, I used the aluminum plate that was left over and mounted it on my plunge router for making tenons on a Pat Warner style tenon jig (I modified the design) - that way I can make tenons on really big peices of wood - e.g., 8" and the plate is big enough to span that.

Regardless, I recommend you give Rockler a look.

+1 on the Rockler if you don't want to build one or spend a small fortune on a ready made one. As a matter of fact, they have upgraded their basic table and have marked down the old ones.

I have their basic table and metal stand and find it very functional. I just finished enclosing the metal stand with plywood. I included a divider shelf between the router and a storage area below, and mounted a dust collection port at the back of the unit. I caulked the inside of the top section to keep the dust contained. I still have a few finishing touches. Maybe I'll post pics later.