PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Woodturning Symposium Nov 2008

albert kiebert
09-01-2008, 8:18 PM
The 2008 “It’s Your Turn” Woodturning Expedition is a new concept in regional woodturning symposiums. It is your chance to step up to the lathe and have a mentor guide you as you do the turning!
On each of the two days of the Expedition, there will be two traditional demonstrations by professional VA turners. In addition to the traditional demonstrations, there will be 12 stations with talented VA turners guiding you in areas of their expertise as you do the hands on turning at the lathe. There will also be two sharpening stations, one on each side of the large demonstration building. Virginia AAW chapter club members will also be on hand at each sharpening station to help you learn more about the best way to sharpen your lathe tools.
Bring your own favorite bowl gouge, or whatever tool you want help with, or use the tools that will be available at the 12 mentor guided stations.
Professional Demonstrators:
· Barbara Dill– Multi-axis spindle turning,
· Ed Moore—Marine life & woodworking,
· Jim Vogel—Getting the bends when hollowing,
. Walt Bennett - Oval Woodturning with the Vicmarc VOD
· and many local turners to help when It’s Your Turn.
When: November 1st and 2nd (setup October 31st)
Where: Expoland, Fishersville, VA. Exit 91 on Interstate 64, just east of the junction of Interstate 64 and Interstate 81 in central VA
Entrance fees: $50 for both days of the expedition, $35 for one-day attendance. Registration is at the door.
Tool, lathes, exotic woods, burls, and more: Several local and regional vendors and tool supply houses will have displays and tools for your hands-on inspection and for sale (often at show-only special pricing).

Jim Kountz
09-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok I have to make this one! Hope to see some of you there, its only about 2.5 hours from me. Whoo hoo!!

Gary Kvasnicka
09-04-2008, 7:26 PM
Albert,
This sounds like something I would like to attend. What time does registration start Nov. 1

Thanks,
Gary

John Abt
09-06-2008, 8:11 AM
I was trying to find the link for a web site and was given this from the Capital Area Woodturners site: www.virginiawoodturners.org (http://www.virginiawoodturners.org) , but it appears to be down. Is this the correct link?

Thanks,
John

albert kiebert
09-07-2008, 7:34 PM
The Event starts at 9am and runs until 6pm both days.

Currently there is no website up and running for the Virginia Woodturner Inc.
The link you found is old.

Below is another link to the Tidewater Turners site where I am updating info as it becomes available.

http://www.tidewaterturners.net/newsletter/newsletter.html