PDA

View Full Version : 14" Taiwan Bandsaw Part Needed

Dan McCallum
09-01-2008, 8:01 PM
On the way home from the produce store earlier today, I was driving down a lane a few blocks from my home when my 13 year old son called out "hey dad there's a bandsaw!"

Sure enough, he was right, there was a bandsaw, behind an apartment building, right out there with the garbage cans and recycling bins. Thank goodness he is well trained in spotting woodworking equipment! We threw it in the back and proceeded on home.

Closer inspection revealed that it is a generic 14" taiwanese machine sold by Foremost Machinery of Kent, WA. Just using my male intuition I would guess it is 10-15 years old, but this type of intuition is notoriously unreliable.

It is quite complete and in very decent shape other than a broken part, as shown in the attached photograph. It's the part used for tensioning and aligning the upper wheel, and it looks like it's just made of pot metal, someone probably overtightened it and broke it. So I am thinking if I can scare up a part I'll have a good little bandsaw.

The 14" Grizzly has a similar looking part called an "upper wheel shaft hinge". That seems like a good description of this part too.

I'm in Canada and Grizzly won't ship here, and I'm not sure if their part is a correct match anyhow. Also, Foremost Machinery in Kent seems to have disappeared. I'm wondering where people like to get parts for their Taiwanese bandsaws? Or better yet if someone has one they are parting out?

Dan

Chuck Wintle
09-01-2008, 8:13 PM
Did you try Busy Bee Tools in Ottawa or King Canada in Dorval Quebec?

Gene Michael
09-01-2008, 11:45 PM
My genuine clunker is an Ohio Forge, which Home Depot stopped selling many years ago. The upper wheel shaft/tensioner broke and for 5 or 6 years, the thing sat in a corner. I found that the dimensions were identical to a 14" Delta, but Delta wants an arm an three legs for the part. Tried e-bay for a used part, but the bidding always got out of hand. Finally found that the Ridgid 14" tensioner measured almost identically to the broken part. Bought it for about $20 via Ridgid parts on the Internet. It took a little careful hand filing to get the part to fit in the channels of the frame, but it works fine. Good luck with your rebuild!!! :D

Dave Cav
09-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I had a similar (or identical) saw for a number of years ago. I believe it was even the same brand. It failed in the same location; the upper wheel hinge was pot metal and just fell apart. Since I had the saw for around 15 or 20 years, and only paid about $150 for it, I just salvaged the motor and pulleys off of it and recycled the rest. I replaced it with a 17" Grizzly.

I looked a a number of generic 14" band saws, including the Grizzly, and I think they are all pretty much the same. I'm in agreement with Gene, you could probably get a replacement from Rigid and make it work fine.

Dave C

Jack Briggs
09-02-2008, 7:46 AM
Tht part is common to pretty much all Taiwanese-built 14" bandsaws. $5 from Grizzly.

Marlin Williams
09-02-2008, 8:59 AM
Check out the 14" bandsaw at harbor Freight. They also sell replacemnt parts and might ship up north?

Has anybody ever ordered replacment parts from HF? not sure if they are fair priced or really high?

Bob Vallaster
09-02-2008, 1:24 PM
The failure you have is common. My neighbor had the same a year ago with an old Jet 14", and we found a replacement source...which I regret I cannot duplicate from searching today.

The advice from posters above is good. I would think any mass merchandiser of Taiwan saws who stocks parts might fill the bill, Grizzly being the first to come to mind.

Try these folks for Delta parts at fair prices (but read them sitting down): http://www.sawcenter.com/bandsaw_parts.htm

Here's a listing number for the item ($55) on the big auction site: 280252359020

Good luck

BobV

Chris Knudsen
09-02-2008, 1:41 PM
A great source for bandsaw parts in Canada is R&D Bandsaw in Onterrible. They supply a majority of the suppliers with aftermarket parts as well as Tufftooth bandsaw blades. You can find them on the web.

Dan McCallum
09-03-2008, 1:05 AM
Guys,

Thank you so much for all the suggestions.

I checked out the local King and Delta service centres today with no good results.

It looks like the way to go is to buy the whole assembly, not just the couple of pieces I need. I suspect if I tried to assemble a unit consisting of some new components and some old I'd probably wind up breaking something else during the assembly. I was considering making a replacement unit myself out of some strong tropical wood, but that's a last resort.

I see the one for auction is $55. The Saw Center wants $119. R&D looks like it's going to be over $100 just for the pieces. Ridgid wants $17.50. These all look like the same thing.

I can't figure out where the parts ordering is done on Grizzly so I gave up on them, besides they won't ship out of the US anyhow.

So it looks like a call to the local Ridgid service centre is in order tomorrow. I'm not adverse to a little sanding. Wish me luck!

Dan

Marlin Williams
09-04-2008, 2:18 PM
I wrote HarborFreight about some parts I need for my 14" bandsaw (Reliant Brand DD90) I also asked about that cracked part in your picture. Just the cracked part and sleeve (not the housing) cost $18.29 at HF. You can order just that part (#9 in the PDF manual for the 32208 BS)

Sku # 27990-0vga part # AB100019 32208 UPPR WHL SHFT HINGE ASSM current price $ 18.29

Type that into order from catalog for the sku and it will come up. Also the wheel tires are only $4.09 as well so that was not to bad.

Sku # 12441-0vga part # 100025 32208 WHEEL PROTECTOR current price $ 4.09

But I did forget to ask if they ship to Canada. But hope the rigid part works out.

Dan McCallum
09-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Marlin,

Thanks for all that extra work, that was very good of you!

I was able to get the Ridgid part somewhat locally here (a long drive to a bleak industrial park in the burbs) for about $25 taxes in. It was an assembly that included the sliding block, the hinge, and the upper shaft. All the knobs and bolts from the old unit fit perfectly, and the entire assembly fit into the slots in the saw after about 5 minutes of sanding.

So for $25, a long drive, and a very small bit of grunt work I have a completely functional 14" bandsaw. Not braggin' or anything though!

Dan

Dick Strauss
09-23-2008, 12:36 AM
$25 plus some elbow grease for a 14" BS is a gloat in my book. Way to go!!!!!

Shawn Walker
09-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Marlin,

So for $25, a long drive, and a very small bit of grunt work I have a completely functional 14" bandsaw. Not braggin' or anything though!

Dan

You gotta love it!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2008, 1:10 AM
Considering the price you paid for it....I'd say this is a mega-gloat!

Robert Strebler
09-23-2008, 10:52 AM
$25 for a bandsaw definitely deserves a, "you suck!"

Nice job!

Alan Schwabacher
09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
It sounds like a great deal. What does your son want?

Bruce Lebowitz
12-01-2009, 8:56 PM
My genuine clunker is an Ohio Forge, which Home Depot stopped selling many years ago. The upper wheel shaft/tensioner broke and for 5 or 6 years, the thing sat in a corner. I found that the dimensions were identical to a 14" Delta, but Delta wants an arm an three legs for the part. Tried e-bay for a used part, but the bidding always got out of hand. Finally found that the Ridgid 14" tensioner measured almost identically to the broken part. Bought it for about $20 via Ridgid parts on the Internet. It took a little careful hand filing to get the part to fit in the channels of the frame, but it works fine. Good luck with your rebuild!!! :D
I have the Ohio Forge 14" band saw purchased in 1988 & made in Taiwan. Ordered the part from https://www.ereplacementparts.com 1 x 824283 Shaft/Hinge Upper Wheel

Unfortunately the part arrived and was the Rigid rather than the Delta. The part fit perfectly into the Ohio Forge with the exception of the tensioning bolt which appears to have been metric rather than 3/16 " of the Ohio Forge knob. Purchased a tap for $7 & tapped the hole with new threads. Total cost including shipping $34.00 ($19.95 part $7.01 shipping plus approx $7.04 for the tap) - Probably would have saved the tap cost if I had purchased the delta part as intended. E-replacement parts was VERY helpful all the way & would have replaced the part. Was very happy with them.