PDA

View Full Version : 3rd bowl from scrap shipping beam oak??

John Nowack
09-01-2008, 4:43 PM
3 rd bowl--I have a customer that burns unusable chunks of wood that they use to bolt heavy machines to for shipping---they said it is all oak but this peice was lighter than the others and you could tell there was some figure in there--(I think it may be maple or something)---the beams are 3.5 inches by 6 inches so the bowl is a little smaller than that---It was not exactly a fun turning because I had alot of tear out and vibration (had a hard time getting smooth cuts--Not sure if this is due to the lay of the grain, type wood or the fact it was bone dry--sharpening skills were not much help either---

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 4:45 PM
Some pretty kewel swirlies in that wood!!! Very nice.

curtis rosche
09-01-2008, 4:57 PM
nice new pic jim! i thought it was a new member until i read the signature line, and went doh!

that is some interesting wood, i wonder what it is. great shape

Frank Drew
09-01-2008, 5:35 PM
That's very attractive wood, John, thanks for posting the pictures. I can't say that either oak or maple would have been my first guesses, though.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Great looking bowl out a some very pretty wood.

Richard Madison
09-01-2008, 6:50 PM
Very pretty bowl John, and good for you for saving that wood! Does not look like oak to me. Beyond that I do not know.

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2008, 7:01 PM
John - very pretty bowl! Not sure of the wood but doesn't look like oak or maple to me! Nice form and finish - hope you have some more of this wood!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-02-2008, 1:07 AM
Pretty little bowl John, not Oak or Maple though, looks more like a Honey Locust but I don't think it is that either, I'm just not sure sorry.

robert hainstock
09-02-2008, 8:36 AM
You"ve made a very nice bowl out of a piece of scrap. I too do not know the wood type, but it is a keeper. :)
Bob