PDA

View Full Version : Old saw info

Matt Ranum
09-01-2008, 4:33 PM
I did some searching, on this site and off about info on dating old hand saws but can't seem to find any. Reason I'm asking is I picked up crosscut or a rip at a rummage sale the other day for a whole $3.00, that actually is in pretty decent shape except for the usual rust. No cracks that I can see in the handle, and the handle is tight yet. The medallion only has 2 words on it and a design. The words are "Sheffield" and "Warranted". I didn't measure it and its not infront of me at the moment but I would guess it to be in the 29" range and the blade is probably 6" deep by the handle. The screws that hold the handle on are a full slotted head, no splits on it.

I'm going to restore this to a certain extent sometime, not to use most likely but I thought it would go nice along side my Baileys.

Anyone have any idea what I might have? If I can get my camera connected to the computer again I'll get a picture up.

Ray Gardiner
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Matt,

Some pictures might assist with identification, see if you can find any makers marks, etching on the blade, a close up picture of the medallion would help as well.

Regards
Ray

Matt Ranum
09-02-2008, 8:19 AM
I have it disassembled in a citric acid solution now. I will try and get some pics in the next day or so.

Johnny Kleso
09-02-2008, 3:33 PM
Atkins made a saw line called Sheffield Saw Works if I remember right..

I cant remember if it was the Atkins Tool Works in the UK or Atkins Saw Co. in the US two different companies..

Before Disstion Atkins and Simionds in the US almost all saws where made in Sheffield, England