PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Grizzly Jointers

Peter Quadarella
09-01-2008, 4:05 PM
So, I was looking at the G0656, G0586, and the G0490.

Besides the stuff in the chart I made, the other big difference is that the 490 has the parallelogram table, which some say is nice to have but many say is not really that important. This is the cause of the $100 difference (prices include shipping) I guess.

I guess I would sort of lean towards the 490, since it has the longer infeed table and the parallelogram tables and the greater weight, except I notcie that the table is not as wide. I found this strange since they are all billed as 8" jointers. Is there some reason for the table width difference that causes them tohave the same effective width or something?

Also, anyone know of any other 8" jointers that are decent and less expensive than these?

glenn bradley
09-01-2008, 5:11 PM
The 490 is 3 HP. I have the G0490X and love it. An acquaintance has the G0586 with a spiral head (G0593?). He is very happy with it. The mobile base on the 490X comes in real handy for me as the jointer parallels the wall where my lumber rack is. I just felt-pen marked the floor where I leveled the jointer, swing it out of the way when I need access to the rack and swing it right back to the marked spot.

The tall fence is also nice. I never thought an inch would make that much difference. I don't know of other jointers in the price range of Grizzly's spiral head machines that come close in bang-for-the-buck. I really didn't really look at the knife machines so I'm no help there. I never want to set knives again ;-)

Peter Quadarella
09-01-2008, 6:12 PM
(I changed the picture, the 2 was a typo.)

Is it really that bad Glenn? Going to a spiral head is a big increase in price, and I was thinking I could always upgrade later. The 656 is appealing to me due to the low cost and the included mobile base. However, another nice thing about the 490 is the long infeed table.

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 6:14 PM
Tall fence = good! I have that on my MM J/P combo and have to tell you that even in the rare event that I edge joint a board now (not necessary with the slider), it really helps support the workpiece with more stability.

glenn bradley
09-01-2008, 7:06 PM
Is it really that bad Glenn?

No, not with practice. But you only do it every so often. In this case, no practice would be a good thing :) Most reviews do not show a significant difference in the jointed surface between knives and indexed cutters. The spirals are quieter and feel smoother (to me) during feed and deal better with . . . what did someone here call it? Oh yeah, PAGAN grain patterns :D.

The advantage for me fell under the "total cost of ownership" heading. It was amazingly painful to have enough money saved up for the G0490 and then hold off almost 8 months to get the G0490X.

I have often said I can talk myself into anything but, here's how my logic went . . sort of;

--- legal disclaimer - I am not trying to talk you into ANYTHING, just sharing how I went through the process (and anyone here will tell you, I'm a bit off) . . . So;

Difference in price between the 490 and the 490X = $280. Cost of three sets of replacement knives (carbide inserts have 4 sides) = $150. Difference is now $130 . . . I've had bar tabs almost that big.

Remember, this is me; talking myself into this . . . so I play it a little loose . . .

I factor in the life expectancy difference between HSS and carbide inserts = reported here on SMC as quite vast. I think about how many times I might have to actually replace (all four sides gone) an insert in my lifetime = few (I would probably have a hard time using up the spares they give you when you buy the machine). I factor in never having to set knives again = priceless.

Seriously though, with new or freshly sharpened knives vs. new inserts; I have read that there is no difference in surface quality during tests. I have not read any report that there is a $300 difference and you just gotta have those inserts. I am extremely happy that I do have them.

Any of the machines you list should do a good job for you. Sometimes there isn't a right or wrong choice without some driving influence; you don't do a lot of this - or you do a lot of that - or like me, you never want to swap in your spare knives, set up your jointer for use and drop off your dull set of knives at the sharpening shop . . . again (I think I just discovered that I am inherently lazy) ;).

Peter Quadarella
09-01-2008, 8:10 PM
OK, here's the problem. If I go all the way to a G0490X, we're talking $1221, which, when compared with a G0656, is $380 more expensive, pretty substantial.

It also brings other competitors into the mix, such as the 8" Granite Steel City Jointer. I have to admit having that big 5 1/2" x 48" granite fence is appealing. No spiral cutterhead, but they claim they have a Quick Change Knife System which doesn't require any gauges.

I currently have a Grizzly Bandsaw and a Steel City drill press and like both brands.

Peter Quadarella
09-01-2008, 8:13 PM
I meant to add - any thoughts on the table width discrepancy I mentioned in the OP? And extra inch table width would be nice - is it for real?

Lee Koepke
09-01-2008, 9:09 PM
OK, here's the problem. If I go all the way to a G0490X, we're talking $1221, which, when compared with a G0656, is $380 more expensive, pretty substantial.

It also brings other competitors into the mix, such as the 8" Granite Steel City Jointer. I have to admit having that big 5 1/2" x 48" granite fence is appealing. No spiral cutterhead, but they claim they have a Quick Change Knife System which doesn't require any gauges.

I currently have a Grizzly Bandsaw and a Steel City drill press and like both brands.
i saw the Steel City at the IWF show, the quick change knife system is neat. once you get them initially set, they have 'registration' points so you can flip / change the knives w/o resetting the head ..

i couldnt get a granite topped tool without my wife gettin on me about not getting granite for the kitchen .. haha ...

Don Bullock
09-01-2008, 9:26 PM
...The mobile base on the 490X comes in real handy for me as the jointer parallels the wall ...

The tall fence is also nice. I never thought an inch would make that much difference. ...

I selected the G0490 over the other Grizzly 8" jointers for those reasons (mobile base and tall fence) as well. The mobile stand could have cost the $100 difference you mentioned. My G0490 doesn't have the spiral head. Grizzly was just starting to make them available when I bought mine on their "Summer Sale." At the time the cost difference was even greater than it is now and I barely was able to talk SWMBO into the G0490. I really like the jointer, but since it's my first one I can't compare it to other machines.

glenn bradley
09-02-2008, 1:02 AM
I meant to add - any thoughts on the table width discrepancy I mentioned in the OP? And extra inch table width would be nice - is it for real?

I measured my G0490X and the bulk of it is right at 8". At the cutter head area, it is wider as the pork-chop support and rabbeting bed are there. I cannot speak for the others but someone here has one, I hope they can check for you.

I certainly don't know how everyone might use their jointer but I don't know why I would want the bed wider than the cutter. There is undoubtedly a cut or a method I am unfamiliar with where this might help(?).

Robert Payne
09-02-2008, 7:32 AM
Pete,

IMHO, you need to spend 25% more and get the G0490X. Why not spend a little bit more to get a jointer that is going to handle figured woods with ease and will probable never need a whole new set of cutters in your lifetime. I just bought one and though I don't have it set up yet, I know it will be worlds better than my old 6" Grizzly that I've had for 4 years. I picked the G0490X over the G0593 because it is a parallelogram and has the built-in mobile base and is heavier and costs $20 less. I bought mine at the Muncy store so I saved about $75 versus having it shipped (I paid 6% PA tax versus $139 shipping).

Peter Quadarella
09-02-2008, 8:29 AM
Handle figured woods eh? :D Maybe that is the straw I need. I am also seeing the 490X on ebay for $1025, which is 50 dollars cheaper than the Grizzly site, and I could get the MS cash back. Hmmm...