PDA

View Full Version : Textured Cherry Bowl

Dominic Greco
05-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Everyone,

Below are some pictures of a cherry bowl I just finished last night. As you can see, this bowl features a 1/2" wide textured band, bordered by (2) burned lines. This was my first real attempt at texturing, and I found the technique took some getting used to. I found it to be a lot like using a chatter tool. It all depends on the way that you have the tool address the bowl, the speed the bowl is turning, the angle of the tool, and the pressure you exert. I used my shop built texturing tool on this bowl, and I was very pleased with the results. After I finished with the texturing, I used my spear point scraper to cut (2) shallow grooves on the borders of the textured area. I was going to leave them as is, but decided to "set off" the textured band by burning the lines in with a guitar string.

This bowl represents another small first for me. When dealing with problematic end grain (end grain that refuses to cut smoothly no matter what) I normally turn to wet sanding with a 50/50 mix of varnish and mineral spirits. This time, I wiped on this mix and allowed it to dry over night (basically allowing it to act as a sanding sealer). The next night, I power sanded from 100 to 220 grit, then used my passive sander all the way up to 600 grit. I then applied the texturing, and then progressed all the way to 2000 grit.

Bowl Specs:
Outer dia.: 9 1/4"
Height: 2 3/4"
Wall wall thickness: 1/4"
Base dia.: 3 1/4"
Sanding Method: Seal Coat of 50% Mineral spirits/50% varnish and then dry sanded to 2000 Grit.
Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
Final: Buffed with Beall System

Thanks for viewing.

Dick Parr
05-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Very Nice Dominic!

Jim Becker
05-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Lovely. The textured band really adds a nice touch without taking away from the fact that this is a bowl to be used. Nice job!

Bob Hovde
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Very nice! What does your "shop made" texturing tool look like? Did you copy it from somewhere, or is it your own design?

Bob

Dominic Greco
05-06-2004, 11:51 AM
here is a link to my original post about the Shop-built texturing tool (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8215&highlight=Shop+Built+texturing+tool)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2004, 1:41 PM
Beautiful in design and implementation!

Tony Falotico
05-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Simple, functional, and the band makes it classy. Way to go Dominic, NICE work.

Anthony Yakonick
05-07-2004, 7:02 PM
That my folks IS a bowl, new turners take note that is what your shooting for. A large diameter on the top, small diameter on the bottom conected by a smooooooooooth curve, no straight lines and no set radius!!!!!!! :D

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Dominic, very, very well executed! :D Not only did the texturing come out beautiful, but I think you were inspired to burn in the grooves. It really sets off the banding! Wonderfully finished, too! I've got a long ways to go to get to that caliber, expecially in the finishing. Well done! :cool:

Bill Esposito
05-08-2004, 8:08 AM
Dom,

Looks great. If you dont mind sharing your technique, how do you finish the foot? Do you use a tenon and then cut it off or does it start as a recessed dovetail...and then how do you get it looking like that...cole jaws?

Thanks

Dominic Greco
05-10-2004, 1:06 PM
....how do you finish the foot? Do you use a tenon and then cut it off or does it start as a recessed dovetail...and then how do you get it looking like that...cole jaws?

Actually Bill, I use a vacuum chuck to hold the bowl and then I'm able to shape the foot any way I want. But because this bowl isn't really that large in diameter, I could have used a set of Cole (or Jumbo Jaws as Oneway calls them).

Bill Grumbine also made a rather interesting jig that allows you to finish off the bottom of bowls. Look on his web site for more information on this.