PDA

View Full Version : finally getin the lathe together

curtis rosche
09-01-2008, 1:21 PM
i am finaly geting the lathe put together. if all goes well, i will have the lathe to show you and a rough turned peice in a couple of hours. i can wait, its been 98 days since i touched a lathe :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, i cant sit still, some one needs to make a woodturning video game....... i should have pictures as soon as its done.

curtis rosche
09-01-2008, 3:31 PM
i gotta learn to not count my chicks before they hatch. went out to the shop, we got the lathe lined up, the mounting bolts in, the hole in the bench cut. went to take the spindle out to put on a bigger belt, and guess what. the spindle wont come out, the spindle moves, but for some reason the step pulley is holding it in not letting it move more than a 1/8 when hit with hammer. grrrr!

curtis rosche
09-01-2008, 5:16 PM
any one have any suggestions for getting it out, or know how to get it out?

tim mathis
09-01-2008, 6:50 PM
i have no idea what lathe you are working on but did you look for a roll pin or a snap ring holding them togrether?
sorry , this might not help.
tim

Richard Madison
09-01-2008, 6:55 PM
Easy with that hammer, Curtis. Try to discover what is holding it, as Tim suggested.

curtis rosche
09-01-2008, 7:09 PM
there is no snap ring, i am going to check again for a second set pin.
the set screw gouged the spindle very badly, im gonna have a time gettin this off. the gouge is almost 1/16, i guess thats what you get with 50+years of abuse

101.06242 this is the lathe model

Chris Barnett
09-01-2008, 9:11 PM
Don't forget to use "Liquid Wrench" or similar (WD40 is not quite the same) on old parts. Has saved the machinery from hammer and chisel damage. Make sure all parting lines get lubed well, and leave overnight at least.

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2008, 9:20 PM
Curtis - going by the lathe part number you gave us - you are fixing up an old 1940s Craftsman lathe - right? If that is the case - I have to ask why you are trying to remove the spindle in order to change the drive belt? I have a 1953 model and all I have to do is relieve belt pressure by lifting the motor (tension is by gravity) and then move the belt to whatever pulley position I want. Do the same to totally remove the belt.

If you are trying to remove the spindle you have to remove the pulley first and then there are 2 bearing assemblies (races) that have to be removed from the headstock. The one facing the pulley will only come out of the headstock on the pulley side. The bearing on the drive center side can only be removed from that side.

Whatever you decide - this is one of those cases where a hammer is not going to help you and will only cause additional problems.

Let us know what you find out.

tim mathis
09-01-2008, 9:30 PM
here is a pdf of the operating manual for your lathe.
http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Craftsman/101-06242.pdf

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2008, 9:41 PM
Thanks Tim! Looking at the manual you will find a section called: Adjusting Spindle End Play. The collars that are mentioned are what are retaining the spindle. They have to be removed before the spindle can be.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2008, 9:51 PM
It also looks like your pullies may be pinned in also. I think that is how we got my brothers first 1952 craftsman apart.

curtis rosche
09-02-2008, 4:50 PM
yeah, i took the collars off and every thing. i found what it was. the guy before me, didnt put the set screw on the pulley the whole way in, now there is a 1/16 grove the whole way around the spindle, the shavings and the ridge it made is what held it there. when i used the 20 ton press to get it apart i found that some idiot had tried to drill a hole for the set screw to go into. even though there was one from the factory. the idiot drilled a hole to small, and he went right through, so unless i braze it theres no chance of a vacuum chuck (not that it matters). we are going to grind off the ridges before we put the new belt back on, so that everything works smoothly

Leo Van Der Loo
09-02-2008, 8:54 PM
Hi Curtis
I guess I got in here a little late, but I was going to ask why you didn't go for a link belt, first off no need to remove the headstock shaft and second a much longer lasting V-belt that also reduces the vibration that's very often inherent with V-belt power transmission.
I was also going to say that sometimes there is two set screws in there, one on top of the first one, and just loosening the top one won't do of course, so you'd have to take the set screw out completely to make sure there's not a second one in there.
Now for the hole that's drilled in there you could tap thread in it and plug it with a screw and some gasket maker, so you don't have to heat the shaft and possibly have it warp on you, good luck.

William Bachtel
09-03-2008, 7:36 AM
Call the service tech rep, now before you break that hammer.

Thomas Herview
09-03-2008, 8:26 AM
That model number sounds like it could be an older Craftsman lathe.

curtis rosche
09-03-2008, 7:54 PM
if i remember right the thing is like 54 years old, it more than 40, i know that. im goign to grind down the ridge left by the improper set screw and then put it back together.