PDA

View Full Version : Digital readout on Powermatic Planers

Robert Chapman
09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I just bought a Powermatic 15HH planer and I am thinking about adding the digital readout feature which comes on the Model 15S. I'm looking for opinions on the readout's usefulness. Anybody know what the readout costs?

Charles Lent
09-01-2008, 1:18 PM
My planer is a Dewalt 735 and I've installed Wixey's digital gauge on it.
The digital gauge has proven to be quite handy for getting that "exact" desired thickness whenever I need it. I have owned 2 planers before this one and never had digital capability with them. This is a significant step up.

Charley

Rick Fisher
09-01-2008, 3:10 PM
I put one on a double drum sander. Its main purpose is to indicate how much of an adjustment I just made. If you want to take off 1/128th, the standard height indicator is a bit useless..

I dont think I would bother with one on the Planer unless I needed that level of accuracy.

Eduard Nemirovsky
09-01-2008, 3:22 PM
I just recently install Wixey DRO on my Jet combo J/P. It is a useful instrument for precise dimension of boards, especially if you planning a few boards same time or want to add board with the same dimension latter.
Wixey site is very useful and Barry are very helpful with installation.
Please check recent threads for Wixey DRO on SWF.
Ed.

Lewis Cobb
09-01-2008, 6:36 PM
I just bought a Powermatic 15HH planer and I am thinking about adding the digital readout feature which comes on the Model 15S. I'm looking for opinions on the readout's usefulness. Anybody know what the readout costs?

I have one - cost me about 120 bucks - highway robbery compared to the Wixey - but I didn't want to fiddle around with the mounting and knew that it would mount right up to the posts without drilling / tapping etc. Have not used it much yet so can't really comment on the pros/cons. You can see the info on it from the 15S user manual if you download it off the Powermatic site.

Rick Fisher
09-01-2008, 8:40 PM
Steel city is marketing the Wixey now on its planers. You have to install it yourself and it requires drilling on the 20" machine.