PDA

View Full Version : Portable Lasers

James & Zelma Litzmann
09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Would any of you happen to know who produces the smallest, affordable, reliable laser?

Anthony Scira
09-01-2008, 1:43 PM
Looks like that old saying you can pick 2 of those 3 requirements but all 3 do not exist.

Dee Gallo
09-01-2008, 2:01 PM
We've all been waiting to hear about a Zing owner - anybody have one yet?

It's supposed to be small, afordable and reliable... operative words, "supposed to be".

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2008, 4:04 PM
Epilog mini, Universal VersaLaser, Trotec Speedy 100 are all smaller units. I'm sure there are others.

Frank Corker
09-01-2008, 9:03 PM
I think I must be losing it, I thought this thread said, Portable letters. Maybe it's my eyes or the onslaught of dyslexia.

Queen Elizabeth rules UK

Larry Bratton
09-01-2008, 9:06 PM
I think I must be losing it, I thought this thread said, Portable letters. Maybe it's my eyes or the onslaught of dyslexia.

Queen Elizabeth rules UK
What brand of Scotch do you drink?

Lee DeRaud
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
The ULS Versalaser is available with a cart/stand that has a blower/filter/extraction unit built into it: that's probably as portable as a laser engraver gets. (Anybody remember the original Compaq PC? That was "portable" too.)

Affordable? Depends on your checkbook, I suppose. :eek:

David Fairfield
09-02-2008, 9:32 AM
Epilog's Zing may fit the bill, but I haven't seen one yet.

Dave

James & Zelma Litzmann
09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Who sells the Zing?

Mike Null
09-02-2008, 1:04 PM
http://www.epiloglaser.com/zing_home.htm?gclid=CPrjm6fLvZUCFQpjnAod8BACQA

Bryan Cowan
09-02-2008, 1:36 PM
http://www.epiloglaser.com/zing_home.htm?gclid=CPrjm6fLvZUCFQpjnAod8BACQA

That's odd, on those pages, it states the Zing only has 25 watts.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/zing_laser.htm - States the Zing comes in 25 or 35 watts.

Wonder why they don't advertise both wattages on different pages?

Jeanette Brewer
09-02-2008, 2:57 PM
I get to send a correction to Mr. Perfect in Golden! :p

Seriously, our web guy (James) does such a fantastic job keeping up with all the changes, I'm surprised that one sneaked by him.

There's no reason that the info is different on the two pages -- other than the fact that when Epilog first introduced the Zing, we were only offering it in 25 watts. When the Zings started shipping (6 weeks ago), we added the 35-watt option.

Mike Null
09-02-2008, 4:38 PM
Jeanette

Since Zelma and James are in Texas that would be your territory--right?

Jeanette Brewer
09-02-2008, 4:45 PM
Mike,

Thanks for checking; yes, James & Zelma are in our territory. We have literature on the way to them via "snail mail".

Additionally, Dee, I know of a couple of Zing owners who are not (yet!) Sawmill Creek members/contributors. If you'd like contact info so you can get some Zing-user feedback, let me know (or, of course, you can check with your local distributor; he should have a name or two for you).

David Fairfield
09-02-2008, 5:17 PM
Wow, that Zing info page is the first time I've seen Adobe Illustrator mentioned as a compatible graphics program for the laser and its about time!

Way to go Epilog! :):):):)

Dave

James & Zelma Litzmann
09-02-2008, 6:36 PM
Mike,

Thanks for checking; yes, James & Zelma are in our territory. We have literature on the way to them via "snail mail".

Jeanette, do you guys have our address for snail mail?

Joe Pelonio
09-02-2008, 6:38 PM
Wow, that Zing info page is the first time I've seen Adobe Illustrator mentioned as a compatible graphics program for the laser and its about time!

Way to go Epilog! :):):):)

Dave
I think the Epilogs are actually compatible with a lot of software, it's just that Epilog recommends and supports Corel. I once ran some engraving from Word just to see what would happen and it worked. Even did a pdf using Acrobat Reader. There are page size issues, though and you cannot cut without vector files.

Jeanette Brewer
09-02-2008, 6:44 PM
Jeanette, do you guys have our address for snail mail?

You've been on our newsletter mailing list for awhile so if the address I have is incorrect, please let me know.

My email address is jeanette at engravingconcepts dot com. Thanks!

James & Zelma Litzmann
09-02-2008, 6:55 PM
Are y'all still on Shannon Dr. in Huntsville?

You've been on our newsletter mailing list for awhile so if the address I have is incorrect, please let me know.

My email address is jeanette at engravingconcepts dot com. Thanks!

Nope not us must be some other James & Zelma.

Jeannette I sent our addresses to your email. Thank you!

David Fairfield
09-02-2008, 7:32 PM
I think the Epilogs are actually compatible with a lot of software, it's just that Epilog recommends and supports Corel. I once ran some engraving from Word just to see what would happen and it worked. Even did a pdf using Acrobat Reader. There are page size issues, though and you cannot cut without vector files.

Joe you're right about that! I've only run Adobe Illustrator files on my Epilog since I got it. But when I was getting ready to buy my laser, the tech people routinely told me that Adobe was "not recommended" which was discouraging.

And if you look through old posts you'll see people struggling to get through some bizarre stray vector cutting issues that crop up with Adobe. They are real easy to work around, but its a nightmare to diagnose the driver formatting issues that cause it, especially when you're on your own with no laser tech support for Adobe probbos. :(

Now it looks like Epilog has coordinated the Zing's driver to handle Adobe out of the box, which will be great for a lot of graphics people who trained on Adobe and are getting into lasering. :) Plus now the tech guys will be able to field Adobe questions. This is really good news. :)

Dave