PDA

View Full Version : JB's New "Down Under" Look....

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Gotta love it...... Never did like suits.

John Keeton
09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
David, such a dichotomy though, the tux and Indiana, Crocodile Dundee, or whoever the new guy is. I do like the look a lot better - belies his true sophisticated inner self!! A veritable mysteryman??!!?? He is about to inspire me to replace my avatar with a pic of myself instead of hiding behind this dream buck! Just not sure the creek is ready for a mug shot of this ugly face!

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry, David, that's the Colorado look...LOL You know, "vacation" and all that...

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
"...that's the Colorado look..."

Ahhh.... gotcha. It was the hat that got me. Very "New Zealand". But either way, better than the suit!

John Keeton
09-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Begs the question - is the Rusty Spurr Ranch a low activity vacation for Rusty Ol' Woodworkers?? If so, how do I sign up??

Neat pictures and great scenery. I will be leaving Thursday for a week of elk bowhunting in Montrose Co. Really looking forward to getting away.

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Begs the question - is the Rusty Spurr Ranch a low activity vacation for Rusty Ol' Woodworkers?? If so, how do I sign up??

LOL. Riding for a couple hours "out there" isn't exactly low energy because of the terrain changes, but was certainly relaxing...especially when the view is taken in mind. I would absolutely recommend Rusty Spurr Ranch for anyone wanting to ride in that area. It was a bit of a drive from Copper Mountain where we were staying and $60 a head for two hours, but absolutely worth it. (Our guide was also excellent and she actually kept us out longer than the two hours) This was not a typical trail ride where you have to all stay in a line. Everyone was encouraged to ride "wherever" and outside of the trail through the trees, there were no effective limits. They also offer cattle round-ups and longer half day rides.

Here's a shot of Nastia in her first ever gallop...something they don't allow at the stables she rides at normally.

John Keeton
09-01-2008, 5:24 PM
Jim, the views and countryside in Colorado are phenomenal. We have been to Copper Creek and surrounding areas a few times. Stayed at Dillon, and skied Keystone as I recall.

Our oldest daughter lived in Boulder shortly after she married. She and her husband were both with IBM - he still is, but they are now back in KY. We visited a few times then, and have been back several times since. LOVE the Rockies!!

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 6:03 PM
Yea, this was an excellent vacation location choice; two days in the Colorado Springs area and 4 based at Copper. Great time by all. Professor Dr. SWMBO wasn't the best with the altitude due to her asthma and picking up a cold along the way, but it wasn't as bad as she expected--Copper is at 9700 feet at the base and, of course, the top of Pike's Peak is 14,115 feet. We were only on top of the latter for about 45 minutes so that wasn't a big deal (rode the cog railway which is, IMHO, a better way to get to the top than driving it which I did a few years ago), but it did take a day or two to get used to things at Copper.

For this vacation, we visited the family we met in Moscow on the way to adopt our daughters, did Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, the cliff dwellings at Manatoba Springs, the nice ride out rt 24 from Colorado Springs to Leadville and then Rt 9 up to Copper, the various Copper Mountain summer activities, the aforementioned horseback activity and the Denver Zoo. (great zoo...)

Here's a few more pictures...

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 6:05 PM
And a few more....

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 6:06 PM
And some more...

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 6:09 PM
Oh, one more...

I referenced this in Per's birthday thread. This was not easy...climbing a 40' "rock" wall, but I made it. 'Couldn't let my daughters show me up! LOL :o

John Keeton
09-01-2008, 7:23 PM
You all really packed it in 6 days! Great pics and looks like you had a blast. If I was going to pick another spot to live I would have to consider Colorado Springs - great weather and lots to do within a couple hours drive.

My experience on Pike's Peak and the cog railway went like this. It was chilly, although in the summer. Several of us that were waiting drank coffe and hot chocolate while waiting on the train. No one told me it was 1 1/2 hrs to the top!

By the time we got there, EVERYONE needed to go - bad! There was a white out blizzard at the top, the electricity was out in the center/restaurant, no water, and no functioning bathrooms. Everyone relieved themselves at various locations around the lookout area. Vanity and modesty went out the window! Some lady and I shared a "chosen spot" behind one of the signs. The snowstorm was so bad we couldn't see 50' - so much for the scenery and views! But, the comradery was great!

Ted Calver
09-01-2008, 8:03 PM
Jim,
I think the girls couldn't have picked a better mom and dad!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2008, 8:20 PM
You all really packed it in 6 days! Great pics and looks like you had a blast. If I was going to pick another spot to live I would have to consider Colorado Springs - great weather and lots to do within a couple hours drive.

My experience on Pike's Peak and the cog railway went like this. It was chilly, although in the summer. Several of us that were waiting drank coffe and hot chocolate while waiting on the train. No one told me it was 1 1/2 hrs to the top!

By the time we got there, EVERYONE needed to go - bad! There was a white out blizzard at the top, the electricity was out in the center/restaurant, no water, and no functioning bathrooms. Everyone relieved themselves at various locations around the lookout area. Vanity and modesty went out the window! Some lady and I shared a "chosen spot" behind one of the signs. The snowstorm was so bad we couldn't see 50' - so much for the scenery and views! But, the comradery was great!

Welcome to the mountains John!

A few years ago my ILs wanted to see "Going to the Sun Highway" in Glacier N.P. Enroute to visit with us, they'd driven out of their way to see it 4 different times, only to find it closed in May...June......

Finally a few years ago, on 4th of July we drove over there with them. We stopped at the lookout at the top of the pass....I was standing beside a 13 foot snow drift ....trying to light a cigarette with my Zippo lighter...wearing my WINTER mountain parka.....whiteout conditions.....That afternoon when we came back over and stopped at the lookout I was in my shirt sleeves.....It can be tough at high altitudes any month out of the year and believe it or not....I've read there is more reported cases of hyporthermia in the summer than in the winter.

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Jim - looks like you created a lot of lifetime memories during your vacation! I am sure everyone had the time of their lives! Thanks for sharing!

mike holden
09-02-2008, 7:23 AM
John,
"dream buck"!!!! I have always thought of your avatar as the oversized head of a mad scientist! Really!
Now that I look closely, I can see the deer, but, man, it still looks like the bald, vein riddled skull of a mad scientist to me.
Mike

Don Bullock
09-02-2008, 7:31 AM
That looks like a fantastic trip Jim. Your girls will remember their experiences for the rest of their lives. As a teacher I was amazed and saddened at how few kids today take trips like that with their parents. It's a very important part of their education.

Dennis Peacock
09-02-2008, 9:35 AM
Awesome trip there Jim. Looks like y'all had a GREAT time.!!!!! Excellent Pike's Peak picture of the whole clan. :D

John Keeton
09-02-2008, 12:49 PM
John,
"dream buck"!!!! I have always thought of your avatar as the oversized head of a mad scientist! Really!
Now that I look closely, I can see the deer, but, man, it still looks like the bald, vein riddled skull of a mad scientist to me.
Mike

Deranged/mad - maybe! Scientist - hardly! I squinted at the avatar and you may be right!! I thought all along it was a buck. This may answer a lot of questions I have gotten over the years regarding my deer hunting!

I probably need to give some thought to "coming clean" and putting up an image of the real me. Trouble is Mike - it may still leave you with the same impression!

Ken, I leave for my elk hunt Thursday. I will be thinking about the years you chased those bulls!

We will be at about 9500', so hopefully the weather will be a little more predictable. Been watching the weather closely, but looks like it is going to be great with daytime temps in the low 70's, nites in the high 30's. Just about perfect in my book!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2008, 3:10 PM
Ken, I leave for my elk hunt Thursday. I will be thinking about the years you chased those bulls!

We will be at about 9500', so hopefully the weather will be a little more predictable. Been watching the weather closely, but looks like it is going to be great with daytime temps in the low 70's, nites in the high 30's. Just about perfect in my book!

John......Enjoy my friend! I can't begin to tell you how much I miss elk camp....shoveling snow to set up the tents......Wood stoves.....army cots with 3" foam pads.....Qualifill mummy sleeping bags.....brisk walks out of camp early in the morning because if you aren't shivering when you leave camp 20 minutes later you WILL be stopping to take off a layer of clothing. Listening to the mules nickering when they realize they are being left in camp.......hearing the herd bull bugle....and the satellite bulls answer..... Folks if you've never heard a bull elk bugle at a distance of 50 yards or less, you missed one of the greatest frights in life! Hearing one of your elk hunting buddies fire a shot in the distance and you start working you way to him so you can help him field dress it and blaze a trail out. The next morning everybody in camp coming into to help skin, quarter,bag, and load that bull on the pack mules. Then 3 of you start out leading the mules back to camp while everyone else hunts away from where you are. But most of all.......I miss those other straight-laced ardent, rabid, fun-loving guys I hunted with.....Boy I miss elk hunting. I was thinking yesterday as I spraying weeds, since I broke my back I'd be useless in elk camp now.:(

David G Baker
09-02-2008, 3:19 PM
John,
I have to agree with Mike on the "Mad Scientist" looking avatar. I did not see the buck until you mentioned it in your post. I couldn't understand the "why" on your avatar but I have seen stranger ones so I didn't question it. I feel much better now that I know you aren't a mad scientist and every time I look at your avatar now I see the buck. :D

John Keeton
09-02-2008, 4:31 PM
David, I will be searching for a publicly presentable avatar tonite!!

Ken, you got me fired up already!! I already have my stuff packed, except for my bow. I am trying to shoot a little each day. The shots I take at deer are usually less than 20 yards. Had to get another sight just to be able to get 70 yard adjustment capabilities. Didn't realize how far 70 yards was with a bow!!

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 5:57 PM
Whoa, "Swa-vay-and-debonner" Mr. K!!!! Great pic!

John Keeton
09-02-2008, 6:27 PM
My wife took this on a trip to the Smokies. I had to look long and hard for a pic. We have hundreds, make that thousands, of pics of the 13 grandkids, but seems I am usually the guy with the camera. Got to thinkin' - what will they do for pictures at my funeral??? Need to make sure at least a few of them have me in the pic!

Actually, there were several of me and one or two of the grandkids at various times, but didn't want to post one of those and exclude the other kids.

David G Baker
09-03-2008, 12:02 AM
John,
Ah, much better. As Jim wrote, great pic.