PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Spaceballs??

"Jacob Robinson"
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I was wondering if H.D. or lowes sold spaceballs for floating panels?

I know I can get them at woodcraft but was hoping for something more convenient

Larry Fox
09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't think so. However, I have also heard of guys using that clear tube that you typically see on aquariums and I know they sell that there.

Tim Malyszko
09-01-2008, 11:02 AM
HD and Lowe's definately don't have spaceballs. I've looked up and down the aisles there for them or something similar and found nothing. The associates looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked them if they had spaceballs.

Your best bet is to order them on-line if you don't have a Woodcraft or Rockler near-by.

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
My bet is that if you go to any BORG and ask for "spaceballs" you will first be asked what they are. When you explain what they are, you will be told that "they don't make them anymore". If you insist that "they" do, you will be referred to a "supervisor" who will then show you faucet washers, door bumpers, caulking compound and roofing nails. Save yourself the frustration and order them from Woodcraft or any of the fifty other sources that you can easily find on the internet.

Eric Larsen
09-01-2008, 11:13 AM
www.netflix.com sent Spaceballs to me in two days!

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/images/2006/03/Spaceballs_Dark_Helmet.jpg

Bob Rufener
09-01-2008, 11:17 AM
You don't really need the product "space balls". Other products that are readily available will serve the same purpose. I have been using a sponge like product that is about 3/8" diameter and comes in a rope shape. I am not sure of the product name but it is commonly used to fill gaps when caulking and purchased at the local glass installation store. I cut it in about 1/2 inch lengths and insert in the kerf. Also, you can use types of weather sponge like weather stripping-cut to small lengths and inserted in the kerf. Anything that will compress like these products will work and are very inexpensive.

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2008, 11:18 AM
"www.netflix.com sent Spaceballs to me in two days!"

That's what I'm talking about...

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Peter Quinn
09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
You don't really need the product "space balls". Other products that are readily available will serve the same purpose. I have been using a sponge like product that is about 3/8" diameter and comes in a rope shape. I am not sure of the product name but it is commonly used to fill gaps when caulking and purchased at the local glass installation store. I cut it in about 1/2 inch lengths and insert in the kerf. Also, you can use types of weather sponge like weather stripping-cut to small lengths and inserted in the kerf. Anything that will compress like these products will work and are very inexpensive.

I believe you need compression without memory which rules out certain products over the long haul. Backer rod (the trade name for that stuff that goes behind a wide caulk seam) may not hold up over numerous expansion and contraction cycles like EDPM or pure silicone. If you are using it to center the panels during glue up than no problem, but be careful what you shove in there if it is to stop panel rattle.

Space balls or EDPM rubber sponges in lengths or pre cut are available from most wood working stores on line, and from many cabinet hardware suppliers. They go a long way, are easy to use and are worth having around. I have never seen them on the shelf at a hardware store near me.

Dar Lounsbury
09-01-2008, 2:04 PM
WWW.spaceballs.com

Seth Poorman
09-01-2008, 4:20 PM
http://www.rockler.com/index.cfm
I get mine in 2 or 3 days

Ed Kilburn
09-01-2008, 6:07 PM
Give CS Hardware a shot, they're on page 5 in the new catalog.
http://www.cshardware.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;products_no_tree?company=csh&cat=701

Robert Payne
09-01-2008, 8:15 PM
Bob, I am in full agreement with you -- the stuff you are talking about is called "Backer Rod" and as you said, it is used to fill a gap before caulk is added rather than trying to fill the gap with caulk. You'll find it in the Weatherstripping aisle. I use the 1/2" stuff and cut it with a utility knife and then add 3 in each stile and 2 per rail to hold the panel. They work great and are locally available at you BORG.

Brian D Anderson
09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I've also heard that people will make their own by putting small "balls" of silicone down on wax paper. Let them dry, and there you go.

-Brian

Greg Narozniak
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I've also heard that people will make their own by putting small "balls" of silicone down on wax paper. Let them dry, and there you go.

-Brian

Brian is right on, just run some beads of silicone and then trim them off when they are dry. has worked for me many times over.

Andy Pratt
09-02-2008, 4:00 PM
lee valley has a similiar item, I think they call them barrels, listed under cabinet construction if I remember correctly