PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a good salsa recipe?

Matt Ocel
08-31-2008, 7:47 PM
I finally have tomotoes coming out my ears.

I would like to make a pot a salsa, I made a big pot of Pico de Gallo Friday it was good but want to make salsa this time around.

David G Baker
08-31-2008, 8:05 PM
I don't have a recipe but I use tomato, onions, cilantro, a moderate hot green pepper, (not jalipenio because I don't like the taste and unless prepared correctly they are too hot), tomitillo (not sure on the spelling)if available. I do not use the spices that are in many of the restaurant salsa and my salsa is not filled with a lot of liquid, it is just the above ingredients moist and delicious. You can add corn or other veggies if you wish.

Jim Becker
08-31-2008, 9:04 PM
Much like David...I just invent it as I go along. I recently made one with Peaches, lime, tomato, onion, cilantro kosher salt, a little fresh hot pepper and fresh ground black pepper...it was great.

Matt Ocel
08-31-2008, 9:14 PM
peaches huh - That sounds pretty good,

David G Baker
08-31-2008, 9:15 PM
Jim,
I like your new photo. It is kewell!

Jamie Delker
08-31-2008, 9:48 PM
I haven't delved into the territory of fruit in my salsa, so without the peaches, I make mine about like Jim's, but I like to put some oregano and a little extra virgin olive oil in the mix. Just a very subtle amount.

Eric Larsen
08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Lots and lots of fresh cumin. When I dip into a salsa, I want to be able to taste the cumin and the lime at the front, and the peppers for the finish.

If you have a halal market in your area, they have the best cumin.

Kevin Groenke
09-01-2008, 9:19 AM
We've taking to roasting the tomatos and peppers. Just put em under the broiler on a cookie sheet for ~ 4 minutes, when done, the skins slip right off. The roasting will add a bit of char and smoky-ness for both color and flavor. For some more intense flavor, add some canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce... OH YEAH, that's the secret ingredient.

Handle the tomatos as little as possible to retain the chunkiness/texture of the flesh: I put 2-3 in a food processor at a time and give them just 3-4 pulses to chop up.

Enjoy! Our tomatos were a bit of a bust this year, we may have to go to the farmers market for a couple bushels to get us through the winter.

-kg

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 10:25 AM
peaches huh - That sounds pretty good,

Yea, Wegmans was out of mango for some reason...and the neighbor had just gifted a few peaches. The combination of the fruit flavor, citrus acid (from the lime) and the other ingredients really work nicely. Fresh cilantro is a must, however, to make it special. I just wish one could buy it in smaller bunches as it always seems it can't be used fast enough before it goes bad. (Cilantro is one of those things that you can have too much of, IMHO, at least)

Bob Rufener
09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Here's one I use:

12 cups of tomato chunks (in off season, I use 4 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup of green chili peppers
3 tsp garlic powder (more or less to taste
3 tsp onion powder
3 tsp cilantro
1/2 cup vinegar
3 large onions sliced and diced
2 tsp red pepper
3 tbsps salt
jalapeno peppers (as many as you want) I usually cut up about 6-8 For tamer taste, take out the seeds when you cut them up.

Mix all contents together and bring to a boil. Cool and enjoy. You can can these by putting the jars in a "hot water bath" I usually keep a few jars and give the rest to friends.

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised to see you cook your salsa, Bob. I've always made it fresh and "raw". But I guess if you are canning that it does make sense to get it hot, etc.

Matt Ocel
09-01-2008, 8:31 PM
Oh Ya!

Just got back from the MPLS farmers market.

Got me some fresh garlic, onions, jalipeno, and peaches.

The peaches are the cats meow!

Also added the cummin and chipolte peppers in adobo sauce.

AWESOME!!

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 8:37 PM
Yea, the fruit really adds a nice "difference"!

Montgomery Scott
09-02-2008, 3:05 PM
7 large roma tomatoes
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
1/2 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeņo pepper
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp ground chili powder
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cumin

I use a salsa master to make my salsa so the instructions are based on that.

Coarsely chop the cilantro, onion, jalapeņo and garlic. Put all ingredients into the machine and grind until finely chopped. Slice tomatoes into smaller cubes and place into the machine. Grind until the tomatoes are smaller chunks. If you grind too much the salsa will be mushy. Done.

I've added ground cayenne or fresh habanero peppers if you like some more heat to it. Also some people prefer a saltier taste so more may be needed, but I don't.