PDA

View Full Version : Teak Oil

Mark Rios
05-05-2004, 11:59 PM
I've gotten to the finish point on a jewelry box that I'm making. I know very little about wood finishing (read...nothing). I have been reading some posts regarding different finishes and thought that Oil/varnish blend (?). I went to my local HD and they didn't have any Watco Danish Oil so I bought a quart of Watco Teak Oil. After reading some posts, I found out that Teak Oil and Danish oil are basically the same thing anyway, according to their MSDS.

So...my jewelry box is made out of walnut, maple, redwood, and oak (I'll posts pics of the box and the cutting board I just finished when I can go to the one hour place and get them done). Is there anything special that I need to know or do to apply this wipe-on finish? Can I/Do I put some sort of finish over the top of this finish after it cures (how long?) to give it some hardness? Can I/Do I rub this finish to a gloss? I want to thank all you folks for all your help.

Mark Singer
05-06-2004, 12:22 AM
The Watco Teak oil has more solids than regular Watco or other Polmerized Tung oils. I have used it for both Teak patio furniture and open hardwoods like Anegre. Make sure you rub out each coat one hour after application. The redwood will absorb the most. Sand to 220 first (or 400). 3 coats should work. After 4 days of drying use Watco satin wax. The are other oils that you may find to be better such as Daly's Ben Matte, WaterLox, and Tried and True...

Mark Rios
05-06-2004, 2:30 AM
Mark, thanks very much for the info. What do I "rub out"? I know what to look for on an auto finish but what do I look for here? What is my goal for "rubbing out" for each coat? Am I just removing any excess oil or am I lookin for a sheen or what? Thanks.

Mark Singer
05-06-2004, 5:50 AM
When the oil is applied not all will be absorbed in 30 min. After that time it will start to get gummy and will not be consistant. It should be removed with a paper towel by rubbing it and changing the towel.It should be smooth and not have excess oil after it is rubbed out. The sheen will then build naturally and at least a day should be allowed between coats to insure drying. If it gets gummy....apply fresh oil and rub out immediately to remove gumminess. Finish with the wax abbout 4 days after the last coat of oil.

Carl Eyman
05-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I used Watco Teak Oil on living room furniture I made 35 years ago. I've never regretted it. Have used Watco Satin Wax a few times since, but not as often as I probably should. Even the arms of chairs where they are rubbed with hands show no wear.