PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening

Jerry Thompson
08-31-2008, 5:36 PM
I may have gone over the edge. No pun intended. I have a tape measure with a pencil sharpener in it. I took it out, lapped it on the back, established a 25* bevel and honed a 30* microbevel on it. I then put T-90 to it and reinstalled it. The wife is making phone calls and I think I hear sirens off in the distance.:)

Johnny Kleso
08-31-2008, 5:41 PM
You need to make some wood chips..
Oh wait! You are..
Pencil shaving are wood chips :)

Steve Thomas
09-01-2008, 7:22 AM
That might be just a little over the top...
just stay out of the bathroom.

Derek Cohen
09-01-2008, 8:57 AM
Jerry

Did you go freehand or use a guide? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jerry Thompson
09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Free hand! That way I can do my nails at the same time.;)

Jim Koepke
09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I may have gone over the edge. No pun intended. I have a tape measure with a pencil sharpener in it. I took it out, lapped it on the back, established a 25* bevel and honed a 30* microbevel on it. I then put T-90 to it and reinstalled it. The wife is making phone calls and I think I hear sirens off in the distance.

No, even before getting into wood working I would sharpen the blades on my pencil sharpeners if they were removable.
I ended up buying a few replacement blades when I found them. I have quite a few sharpeners now. Two are from Germany and one of them supposedly is from the late 19th century. They put better points on a pencil than any of the hand crank type. Getting a continuous shaving off a new pencil from start to finish is kind of fun.

jtk

Gary Herrmann
09-01-2008, 1:46 PM
Spent some time lapping and sharpening chisels yesterday. Today will do some plane irons. I've started putting bandaids around my thumbs just so I won't abrade the skin.

Not that it hurts, but my wife complains about how icky it looks with the staining from the metal filings. :rolleyes:

John Schreiber
09-02-2008, 12:28 AM
No, even before getting into wood working I would sharpen the blades on my pencil sharpeners if they were removable.
I ended up buying a few replacement blades when I found them. I have quite a few sharpeners now. Two are from Germany and one of them supposedly is from the late 19th century. They put better points on a pencil than any of the hand crank type. Getting a continuous shaving off a new pencil from start to finish is kind of fun.

jtk
Jim, if they start to take you away with Jerry, you can know that there will be plenty of us there together.

By the way, what do you do when you have already shaved off all the hair on your left arm testing blades?

Hank Knight
09-02-2008, 1:22 AM
I may have gone over the edge. No pun intended. I have a tape measure with a pencil sharpener in it. I took it out, lapped it on the back, established a 25* bevel and honed a 30* microbevel on it. I then put T-90 to it and reinstalled it. The wife is making phone calls and I think I hear sirens off in the distance.:)

You should upgrade your sharpener blades to D2 steel. It holds up much better against the carbon pencil lead than 01 or even A2, and it keeps it's edge a long time. I hate having to go back to the stones in the middle of sharpening a pencil.

Jim Becker
09-02-2008, 7:50 AM
Hmm...I thought yesterday was September first, not April first... LOL :D