PDA

View Full Version : Finishing turnings...........

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Ever since the idiots here threw me into the Vortex, I've been finding out what expensive is......reminded of what being broke is like. Now this is a ...oops can't say that....this a family friendly site.....Take my word on it. We have been empty nested for well over 10 years now and prior to that Jet VS Mini showing up on my carport, I always had $100 in my pocket. The weight of 5 20's or 2 50's in my billfold has not been a problem the past 2 1/2 years. Thus, I force myself to be a little selective about buying new tools.....trying new techniques especially if there is more expenditures involved....Folks...it seems like I"m constantly broke since the lathe showed up.....but I smile a whole lot more too! And that is worth the price!:D

I've seen photos of pens being finished with CA. In fact, I have a couple of pen kits and blanks sitting in my shop that were begging for me to learn that technique. Well, I was down to two FPP pen kit blanks glued up yesterday and thought "it's time to learn". Joel Sauter demonstrated the technique for Brian Brown, his wife and I a couple of weeks ago. I immediately ordered some thin and thick CA and some accelerator. I had a couple of articles on how to do it. I reread the articles and read some more online. I had traded several emails with Bernie Weishapl concerning CA finishing. And yet....I was still apprehesive about trying it. Yesterday, I put my reading to practice. I was shocked how well it went. The LOML was just astounded by the results. The main article I used for a reference was one by Russ Fairfield where he doesn't use wet sanding......just dry sanding and Beal buffing. To me it made sense as I've turned some acrylics and have wet sanded the b/s and yet it was the Beal buffing that gave it the glass-like finish.

After finishing the 1st one....I had to CA finish the 2nd one.....worked well again. I compared them to one that was wet sanded.....no noticeable difference to my eye.

The point of this thread..As long as it's safe....don't be afraid to try new techniques.....and don't be afraid to experiment with a proven method...to try to improve upon it....Find a method that works for you and stick with it. If for some reason you find you are no longer satisfied with it, don't be afraid to try something new even if it causes you to dip a little deeper into you wallet!

Today....I cut, drill and glue up those special blanks and pen tubes that have been waiting for me to improve upon my finishing techniques!

Mark Hix
08-31-2008, 1:14 PM
Congratulations! The first time I tried it, I glued my fingers together, had to sand the paper towel off the blank and do it again and several other learning opportunities...in short, it was a mess. It took some practice but now it seems like the easiest thing. People are amazed when they find out what the finish is. I have some now that have been used daily and they still look good.

Of course....pictures would be nice.

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2008, 1:34 PM
Have to agree with Mark - pictures would be nice!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2008, 1:57 PM
Hey, hey, hey Fitz who you calling idiots.:eek::p I resemble that fact.:D:cool:;):rolleyes:

Hey Ken glad it worked out for you. What I do is I will turn a spindle of the same wood, sand it to whatever I would sand the real object to and then try whatever new finish I want. I have did this since I start turning with all the finishes I have ever tried. I wanted the wood to be sanded and treated the same as the real turning. It gave me a good look at what it will end up like and get the application down.

Hey Ken it is like:

Lathe=expensive
Tools=expensive
The smile, satisfaction and sense of accomplishment=priceless

Now where are the pictures???????????????

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2008, 2:18 PM
Hey, hey, hey Fitz who you calling idiots.:eek::p I resemble that fact.:D:cool:;):rolleyes:

Hey Sharon....You can add Bernie Weishapl to your list.....He was involved....:rolleyes:

I'll get some photos later today guys.

robert hainstock
08-31-2008, 2:24 PM
I switched to CA for my pen finish about 20 pens ago, and couldn't be more happy. I recently tried Briwax "Teal oil" for other turnings and would have to say the jury is still out on thjat expieiment. It is right as previously stated to try new finishes. I have't found the perfect finih for everything after sixty years of trying.. :)
Bob

Tony De Masi
08-31-2008, 3:16 PM
The first time I tried the CA method I ended up like Mark with my fingers glued together. But unlike Mark, I haven't given it a fair shot since.

Glad it's working for you Ken but like Bernie said, pictures sure would be nice.

Tony

Toney Robertson
08-31-2008, 9:07 PM
Ken,

Could you link that Russ Fairfield article?

I have not tried CA yet for apparently the same reasons you had not tried it. I must take the time and try it but the apprehension remains.

Now you can try that CA/BLO that I have seen referenced. :D

Glad you are getting good results.

Toney

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2008, 9:50 PM
Toney,

Interestingly enough, Russ Fairfield eludes to and links to the article about CA and BLO.

Here's the link....it's under pens, watches and other small things....scroll down to CA as a hardener...followed by CA as a finish.... Note..I used a piece of wax paper under the pen and slid it along as I dribbled CA along the top. I had my lathe turning about 220 RPM.....I watched the CA for a few seconds and spritzed it with accelerator.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FSOriginal4.html

Good luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2008, 11:14 PM
I really need to work on getting a photo booth and lighting set up! Here's photos of the two pens I performed my first CA finishes on. The top one will never see anyone's hands but mine as I under sized it big time. Sadly it was a pretty piece of tiger maple. The bottom is some "dunno" wood that was given to me several years ago. I'm doing 30 slimlines right now for the FPP foundation. I've learned a lot and have had to adapt my technique as I was continually blowing them up at different stages.Sorry for the poor photos.:o

Don Orr
08-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Nice job Ken. That Russ is a great guy. There is probably not much he does not know about woodturning in all its many incarnations.

Woodturning is probably cheaper and more fun than psychotherapy!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Don...You are right about Russ's knowledge and turning being cheaper than psychotherapy!

Question?

I've been studying that mini-hollowing tool you gave me and the wood tool. How far do you allow the tool to project from the handle and what do you use as a ferrule? I think it's time to put that tool together.

Cindy Navarro
09-01-2008, 2:58 AM
If you run your lathe faster then 200 rpm, use strips of paper towel, a glove on your hand and lightly apply the CA to the towel and move it along the bottom of the pen as it is turning you will get a better finish. There is a good video of this technique on an australian Woodworker forum-www.woodworkersforum.com If you go to the pen turning forum the video is there. Check it out,

robert hainstock
09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Cindy is ritght. use the paper towel. I use a piece three in appx. and fold it on itself three times. Rermember we're using a very slow curing CA here, and adding an accelerant, (BLO) works for me as I learned it from the Russ video. I keep A can of acetone close by for whoopsies. I have not needed it yet as I only apply three drops of gap filling CA to the towel per blank, per application. :)

Bob

Maria Alvarado
09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Ken those are both nice pens! Just FYI, Russ has posted some snippets of his pen finishing video over on the IAP website. Go to the library forum and check out his video tips. Really helps to watch him actually apply the finish.