PDA

View Full Version : Segmenting

Joe D'Attilio
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Currently I only do small projects, pens, darts, coffee scoops, etc.

Power tool-wise; I have a delta scroll saw, delta bench top drill press, and Jet 1220VS lathe.

I have some really cool ideas and designs but can't accomplish with my current set up - as the scroll saw is a "must-do" at the moment.

I am trying to figure out what is the next tool i should concentrate on, to cut straight and true.

Would I be better off with a band saw, small table saw, radial arm saw or miter saw.

I want to make straight and angled cuts(45 , 11.25 degrees). Keep in mind, I will be cutting very small pieces (3/4" - 5/8" thick blanks cut to 1/4-1/8" lentgth pieces. Also would like to be able to cross cut for small segments and rip to create checkerboard blanks)

What is going to be the next best investment for me to accomplish these goals.

I now have a scroll saw and its just "not cutting it"...pun intended:)

Harvey M. Taylor
08-31-2008, 11:22 AM
about the only saws that will cut a straight line are:table saw or miter saw.A scroll saw, bandsaw, jig saw hacksaw or most any other will not cut a straight line. With these small pieces, be sure the filler plate fits around the blade perfectly, otherwise they will go down the hole and possibly hang up. fingers to 'push' the material thru are strictly forbidden.Push sticks of some sort are the only a`cceptable method.Johnny Tolly mounts a rain downspout with a` baffle connected to a shop-vac to pull the cut piece away from the blade and into a peanut-butter jar.Hopefully helpful, Max

Robert McGowen
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
I personally would use a small table saw with a sled, especially for really small segments. Plus, you can use it to split rings and some other things that you could not use a miter saw for. You need to add a 12" disc sander to your list though. I am sure some people segment without the disc sander, but I don't see how. The cuts are never really smooth enough coming straight off of the saw. Also, if needed, it is hard to make a 1/128" adjustment on a segment with the saw, but it is easy to do with the sander.

Larry Marley
08-31-2008, 11:42 AM
the best tool for segmenting is a disk sander. This is the tool that can make the precise angles and widths required to assemble feature rings.
that being said, you need to at least rough cut the pieces to get there.
If you are focusing your attention on small turnings, a bandsaw will make good basic cuts with a small kerf. I prefer the tablesaw with a good sled. Using a sled solves the issue of lost small pieces. The disk sander will prep it for glue up.

Ray Allen and Malcolm Tibbetts (my segmented heroes) are both advocates of the disk sander, even when the miter was cut with a tablesaw or a mitersaw.

Curt Fuller
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
A table saw with a homemade miter sled should do it all. I found this site of Kevin McNeeley's very useful....

http://www.turnedwood.com/index.shtml

http://www.turnedwood.com/framesled.html

I've also found that a lot of folks buy a small table saw and grow out of it. So, check your local craigs list or other auction sites and you could probably pick up a used saw pretty reasonable.

jason lambert
08-31-2008, 1:09 PM
TUFF question There are alot of used table saws out there for cheap I would do that should do most of what you ask I would also look for a forteen inch band saw

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-31-2008, 1:56 PM
Harvey, assuming a limited budget, your best bet is a table saw. You need to be able to both rip material and cross-cut segments; the table saw can do both. Whereas, the miter saw can only cross-cut. As Larry said, a disc sander is invaluable. Good luck.