PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy Shelix heads for my Grizzly Planer & Jointer...any advice?

Edward Garrett
08-31-2008, 9:35 AM
I am getting ready to purchase Byrd Shelix heads for my Grizzly 20" planer (G0454) and Grizzly 8" jointer (G0490). I have been searching and reviewing posts here on SMC which has been very helpful (although, there was one post I found yesterday with some great details that I just cannot seem to find today!:confused:). I have a few questions based on what I have read so far....

1. How detailed and accurate are the installation instructions? In speaking with Grizzly CS they were not aware of what installations directions - if any - come with the cutterheads. I did find install directions on the Byrd web-site for a generic 4-post planer (looked like a Powermatic), but I am wondering how these will translate to my Grizzly.

2. Should I get extra bearings for the jointer? The post I cannot find mentioned that Grizzly reccommended getting replacement bearings for the G0490 because the existing ones can become damaged during removal of the old head....has anyone had this experience?

3. Other tools for installation? In reviewing the comments hear, I will also be ordering a gear puller as well as a new link belt for the jointer....any other reccommendations on not-so-common tools that might make the install go smoother?

4. While I am at it, I plan to do as much maintenance on both machines as possible based on the user manuals...cleaning, lubrication, calibration, etc. I did see a picture of using a small piece of plywood to better "contain" the internal dust chute on the G0490 which looked like great idea (again, on the post I cannot find today)...any other insight/reccommendations?

Thanks in advance....once I get going, I will post my install experiences here on The Creek...

Russ Massery
08-31-2008, 9:54 AM
I bought my Shelix head though Grizzly for my G0490. No instruction were included. It's a pretty easy. As for the planer I have not done yet (but plan to). They Bryd's website has instruction for the planer. From what I've seen a little more involved.As changing the head on the jointer before you mount the fence move the infeed and outfeed tables down all the way. There two bearing blocks the socket head cap screws holding down. Remove the belt then the whole assembly can be removed. Also you'll need a Good pair of snap ring pliers.

Larry Rasmussen
08-31-2008, 10:01 AM
I did this a year ago. There were no instructions beyond what is posted on the shelix site and the manual, same one you have. I don't know about the jointer. The planer took no extra tools or a puller to change out the head. I switched the 3 drive belts to link while working on it anyway, they work as commonly stated, smoother "ride". I am not much of a mechanic, kind of a paint by numbers guy following instructions and did not have a tremendous amount of trouble with the process although it went quite slow for me. It was really worth it for the benefits well covered on the site here. It just civilizes the planing process with the more comfortable noise level and smoother cut on difficult woods.

Hope that has been of some interest, I know the jointer is the one you had more questions on. Good luck.

Larry R
Seattle

David Eisan
08-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello there,

Here is my Byrd install in my planer,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46545

and Byrd in my jointer,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34790

Let me know if you have any questions,

David.

William Addison
08-31-2008, 12:39 PM
In addition to the gear puller a bearing separator is good to have. It helps you to not damage that bearings and they don't cost much.

Edward Garrett
08-31-2008, 3:14 PM
Russ, Larry, David & William - thanks for the feedback, info and links....my "ckecklist" for the cutterhead upgrades is really taking shape!

Alan Schaffter
08-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Don't buy a gear or bearing puller. You can get free loaners from Autozone and most chain autoparts stores. They will do a credit card payment then refund it when you return the tool undamaged. The bearing puller they loaned me was new.

Brian Gumpper
09-01-2008, 9:15 AM
The heads don't come with instructions. Byrd had install instructions on their website for a powermatic 4 post 20" planer and it should be the same as your machine. The jointer is a simpler install.

Edward Garrett
09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
I placed my order for the shelix heads, etc. on Saturday and everything arrived yesterday (Tues) and today (Wed). I installed the shelix head on my G0490 jointer tonight, and I am VERY pleased and satisfied with the results - I ran a 3' piece of 6" wide white oak through the jointer and the feel is completely different: more like "gliding" than "pushing".....and - as stated many times here - very, very quiet.

The two heads (one for my 8" jointer and one for my 20" planer) arrived very well packaged in mini wooden crates. Installing the jointer head went pretty smoothly - took me just shy of 2.5 hours. I also installed a link belt on the jointer and gave it a thorough cleaning and two coats of wax. The two biggest challneges were removing the bearings with the gear puller, and then "sliding" the new shelix assembly with pillow-blocks back into place without hitting an edge of the machine and damaging a cutter head. Also - be careful openning the mini-crates as they can be re-used to store the old head.

In summary: Grizzly answered my questions and shipped quickly and accurately. The jointer install was more straightforward than I expected. I am very, very pleased with the result thus far.

I plan to install the planner head this weekend....

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and suggestions!

Paul Gatti
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the update! This is very useful information. Maybe when you install the head on the planer, you can take a few pictures and write a quick how-to. I'm sure other members would appreciate it. :D

dale rex
09-11-2008, 6:48 PM
I am considering doing the same for my Grizzly 8" jointer and 20" planer sometime in the future. FYI I recently saw that Grizzly is selling the Byrd head for the 20" planers for $850, reduced from $995. Good deal, but dont know how long it will last http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-Shelix-Cutterhead/H7769

James Hicks
09-11-2008, 9:29 PM
I'm also considering getting the Byrd Shelix head for my GO586. has anybody bought one of the Grizzly brand shelix heads? How does the quality of cut compare?

Steve Nouis
09-12-2008, 6:34 AM
I just put a Byrd shelix head on my Powermatic 209 planer, this is a Byrd head for $850, Griz sells a spiral head with the knifes straight across also. It's a big job on the planer, the gearbox has to come all apart and putting it back toegher is a little tricky. This head works great and is quiet but try not to put loose knots through it. Those little cutters aren't as tough as knifes. Steve