PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 plywood question

Mike McCann
08-31-2008, 8:11 AM
I just purchased some 1/4" plywood from DSI for the back of my entertainment cetner I am buying. My questions is how thick should 1/4" plywood actuall be. this seems awfully thin at 5 mm. or 13/64. please advise the average range 3/64 shy seems like a lot.

Mike Null
08-31-2008, 8:48 AM
Mike

Here's a link that explains the plywood thickness dilemma. Based on it, you are correct and your wood apears to be 1/64" thinner than it should be.

http://woodworking.about.com/od/plywood/p/PlywoodSizing.htm

Jamie Buxton
08-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Nowadays, 1/4" plywood pretty reliably fits into a dado which is .2" wide.

Stan Smith
08-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Jaime. This is off point a little, but for whatever reason, I have a hard time converting from decimal inches to fraction inches. It's not the math but figuring out the which dado blades and shims to use from the dado set. I've been wondering if they make a metric dado set. I really wish the U.S. had switched to metric years ago. I find metric alot easier than 32nd's and 64th's

Jamie Buxton
08-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi Jaime. This is off point a little, but for whatever reason, I have a hard time converting from decimal inches to fraction inches. It's not the math but figuring out the which dado blades and shims to use from the dado set. I've been wondering if they make a metric dado set. I really wish the U.S. had switched to metric years ago. I find metric alot easier than 32nd's and 64th's

Yeah, my brain would fry if I tried to use fractions. Decimal anythings -- decimal inches, or decimal centimeters -- is much easier.