PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron extension on Unisaw...

Terry Briley
08-30-2008, 9:23 PM
Does anyone know of a place that will make a custom cast iron or aluminum extension for a table saw?
I would like the miter slots the same distance as the main casting.
So I can use the same jig on both router table extension and table saw.
Also to run miter slots the perindicular or crossing the other four slots.

Probably will have to make it out of wood.

Has anyone had luck with connecting two table saws together and connecting them with a outfeed table?
One table saw dedicated to crosscutting and the other ripping.

Steve Schoene
08-30-2008, 9:32 PM
You can buy a cast iron router table top--possibly of a size to be used as a cabinet saw extension. You might even find a junker cabinet saw being parted out and buy the top center and then convert that to a router table.

But, to have a foundary cast, and then machine a cast iron top would almost certainly be prohibitively expensive--I don't really know, but my guess is that it would be way more that an entire new cabinet saw.

Bruce Page
08-30-2008, 9:39 PM
Bench Dog makes a quality cast iron TS extension with a T-track slot.
Amazon sells them.

Keith Outten
08-31-2008, 7:57 AM
Terry,

Contact Quality Grinding & Machine by clicking on the banner at the bottom of this page. They made me a table saw extension that is without equal. If you want a custom extension made to your specifications they are the best and they are very affordable IMO.

Mike Cutler
08-31-2008, 8:05 AM
Has anyone had luck with connecting two table saws together and connecting them with a outfeed table?
One table saw dedicated to crosscutting and the other ripping.

Yes. I have a General 50-220 and Jet contractor saw that are arranged as the support/ outfeed table for each other. It works very well, and gives you a very large surface area.

Realize that two saws back to back, or back to side, combined, is a fairly large cast iron surface by themselves. You may not need an outfeed table.

It takes a little time to shim and level the two saws together, but the end result is very functional.