PDA

View Full Version : Another little box, yew this time

Leo Van Der Loo
08-30-2008, 7:43 PM
I always find Yew a very fine turning wood, and wish it would stay that nice new color it has when turned new, though the mature color is not bad either.
This one is just a small one, at just less than 3" tall by 1¼ wide.
Any/all comments appreciated, :D

robert hainstock
08-30-2008, 8:03 PM
Never saw yew before. Interesting wood. :D
Bob

jason lambert
08-30-2008, 8:11 PM
Intresting wood, cute box, I like it.
Good job.

Jim Kountz
08-30-2008, 8:24 PM
Excellent Leo, I love those small boxes like that. Very well done. Now then you said we could make comments or suggestions right? Well I have one. COMB YOUR HAIR!! LOL:D:D:D:D Just making fun of that picture you have there!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-30-2008, 8:49 PM
Hé Jim, I love my hair, the little I have left over, just rebellious me, now that I'm retired I don't have to wear a stupid tie or have neatly cut and combed hair, not like I used to do that though :p :p :eek: :D

Jim Kountz
08-30-2008, 8:55 PM
I can sympathize. I have little to none so I cant really give anyone to hard a time about it!! In that picture you kind of look like Einstien so thats not bad eh?

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Great looking box Leo. I have never turned yew but looks interesting.

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2008, 9:46 AM
Leo - very nice little box! Good looking wood and I like your detail work. This box reminds me of an ice cream cone - because of the top I guess!

Oh yeah - keep the photo! Has that Albert Einstein look about it but more than anything - I love the attitude it projects!!

Mike Peace
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Leo, it looks like the base of your box has the inside lip turned from a different wood. If that is correct, can you explain why you did it that way since it is a little different approach than Raffan teaches in his book on boxmaking? Unfortunately, I do not come up with many original ideas and tend to copy what someone else does when I see a good idea.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-01-2008, 1:51 AM
Thank you all for looking and for the replies :D.
Some info on Yew, latin name Taxus, a slow growing long lived conifer, very frost hardy, it will get a massive trunk after centuries, everything on the tree is poisonous, so don't eat any of it OK :rolleyes: :eek:.
I use the "inside lip" for having the grain align nearly perfectly,as the only missing wood is a very narrow cutoff blade's cut.
There's a thread where you can get some more info/looks, if you search "how to keep the grain aligned" HTH :)