PDA

View Full Version : Clamp gloat

Rick Fisher
08-30-2008, 6:19 PM
Can clamps be a gloat?

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/IMG_0908.jpg

I went to an auction. I bought a bandsaw as an online bidder and showed up after the auction was over. There was a lift of shaper jigs still sitting, unsold.

So I asked the guy, how much for the lift of patterns and jigs? He said $50.00, acting totally disinterested.

So my buddy and I bought the lift. Went and got our screwdrivers and unscrewed total of 18 large Destaco clamps and 64 medium sized Destaco Clamps.
We split the clamps 50% - 50%.

There where about another 13 missing the rubber stopper and bolt. My buddy wanted them so he took them as well.

In total. 82 Destaco toggle clamps and 13 part clamps. = 95 clamps for $50.00 and some sore forerms, unscrewing these things.

We left the patterns and jigs behind. The Bandsaw consumed all the space in the Pick up.

Net cost worked out to .55 cents per clamp. They are the same brand sold by Lee Valley.

Mitchell Andrus
08-30-2008, 6:27 PM
Severe gloatage. Nice!

glenn bradley
08-30-2008, 6:51 PM
Absolute gloat! Great deal.

Walt Caza
08-30-2008, 6:58 PM
Hi Rick,
Congrats on getting your bandsaw...
And nice score on the clamps!
Nothing ever seems fairer than a 50-50 split with a friend.
Good show,
Walt

Rick Fisher
08-30-2008, 8:17 PM
Well, its a lot of clamps. lol..

I figure at the most, I will need 12?

Who knows? maybe I will really get into jigs and such..

I am going to build a curvy mirror and planned on buying 5 of these at Lee Valley after the auction. Had it not been for that, I may never have noticed all the clamps on that load of jigs.

Went to Lee Valley anyway and bought a magnetic featherboard for the new/old bandsaw.

The Auctioneer came over after we had been unscrewing these things for an hour and said. hmmm.. I didnt see all those clamps. He smiled and said "nice buy".

Brutal auction. Apparently nobody showed up. They had a load of left over machines which didnt sell.

If anyone is interested, they still have;

-24' long CNC made by Biesse. They said they would take $20K for it, model 340?

-2 x 24" SCMI planers. Very large, motor controlled beds.. $3500 each.

-An SCMI Edge bander with windows and motors all over the place...

-An SCMI Sandrya double head x 52" Wide Belt Sander he said $8000.00

-A ACM 52" wide belt sander .. no detail $ 5000.00

-Some form of "Beam Saw" made by SCM. All he said was make an offer.

This shop was 80% SCM machinery. Ritter, Biese, Ingersol Rand, Griggio and a few token General Canadian made table saws.

The SCM shapers with Samco feeders went for between $2000 and $3000

J D Thomas
08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
OK. I'll be the first to say it on this:

You Suck!!

Nice score dude.

Joe Jensen
08-31-2008, 12:17 AM
I'd buy some of those tools if they didn't have all the CSA garbage :cool:

J.R. Rutter
08-31-2008, 1:54 AM
Nice! You should be set for a while!
What auction company was it? Do they have a web site?

Rick Fisher
08-31-2008, 2:17 AM
It was maynards auctions. They did a guarentee to the owner. The factory didnt go broke, rather they went to China. So Maynards guarenteed the owner a sum of money.

Jay from Maynards

said it didnt work out at all. They are short.

None of the big stuff sold and the smaller stuff went cheap.

I paid $1000 Cdn for an SC-600 scmi band saw (running) Which is okay but no gloat. The clamps where a nice bonus. The bandsaw needs some parts and cleaning but its solid. (and freaky heavy).

I wanted a Griggio PF-330 12" jointer and put a proxy bid of $2500 on it. It turned out to be the star of the show and I didnt get it. I guess its a $9000 machine and it was running ..

If anyone wants Jay from Maynards email address, PM me and I will send it to you.

The SCMI planers are in decent shape but could use some love. Cracked glass on the Amp meters, stuff like that. The big double head sander was mint.

Rick Fisher
08-31-2008, 2:22 AM
The economy in Canada is still decent. Its starting to slow a bit. This auction was a bit of a shocker for Maynards. Last year this stuff would have attracted a crowd. It was a premium quality shop.

Maynards figures things are slowing down and people are hanging tight with there cash. Probably smart considering the news in the USA.