PDA

View Full Version : removing adhesive from bench top

Matt Benton
08-30-2008, 4:16 PM
I just purchased a 2" x 30" x 72" maple top that I am going to use as a workbench. The only problem is that the side I want facing up is covered with sandpaper that has been attached with most likely spray adhesive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the adhesive once I pull the sandpaper off?

Thanks!

Jim O'Dell
08-30-2008, 5:39 PM
One of the citrus cleaners, or a Goo B Gone type cleaner??? I'd try a small corner first before doing the whole top. I'd hate for the cleaner to damage the top, or make you have to sand and refinish the entire top. Another idea, maybe look at the spray adhesives and see what type of solvent is used to clean up over spray. Again, I'd try a small area first. Good luck!! Jim.

Gary Click
08-30-2008, 8:52 PM
I would try a heat gun to warm the glue and then peel the corner up. After that it is probably time for a sharp scraper.

Roman Hruska
08-30-2008, 8:57 PM
Lighter fluid (Ronsonol) works wonderfully to remove most adhesives. I used it for years in the used book industry and it would remove most stickers without damaging the underlying paper.

Roman

Bob Vallaster
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Second what Gary said.

BobV

Matt Benton
08-31-2008, 8:14 AM
Thanks for all the help, guys.

Actually, I have already removed the material, which is more like a soft roofing shingle material. Now I just need to remove the remaining adhesive on the slab...

Mike Cutler
08-31-2008, 8:51 AM
Thanks for all the help, guys.

Actually, I have already removed the material, which is more like a soft roofing shingle material. Now I just need to remove the remaining adhesive on the slab...

Heat gun and a razor scraper for the bulk. Clean up the remaining residue with lacquer thinner,and a greenie. ( 3M pads) You'll need a lot of greenies. They'll clog up quick.

John Grabowski
09-03-2008, 7:06 PM
Acetone is a great solvent. That'll do it!!

John G

Tom Veatch
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
...Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the adhesive ...

Another vote for acetone or naptha (same thing as lighter fluid, and maybe a little less expensive). One of the two should dissolve the adhesive and neither of them should have an adverse effect on the wood.

Gene Michael
09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I had to remove some duct tape sticy yesterday. Tried acetone (which works very well on some things) - it did nothing. Next, tried mineral spirits. Worked quickly and well.

John Grabowski
09-08-2008, 8:46 PM
Acetone and Mineral Spirits/DNA are different types of solvents...Acetone is polar compound where as the other two are non-polar compounds. Therefore acetone will break down other polar compounds and the other two will break down non-polar compounds.

Moral of the story...If Acetone wont do it...Try mineral spirits, DNA or even Hexane...That'll get it done.

John G