PDA

View Full Version : Need to cut a hole in my house

Jim Hill 2
05-05-2004, 5:08 PM
I live in Charleston SC and wood working in my garage is about to become uncomfortable because of the heat. To make my life a little easier I just purchased a window mount air conditioner and I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice on how to mount it (since I don't have a window in my garage). I had this house built and know where the electric lines are run so I can avoid them. I also put the sheetrock up and know the studs are 16" on center. There is vinal siding on the outside so I know I can cut through that. Any suggestions on making this thing watertight? Anything I should not do? Should I cut through one stud or two? Thanks for the help!

Jim

Rob Russell
05-05-2004, 6:00 PM
Here's a quick idea of the framing. You only need to cut 1 stud, and box in a header to support the upper part of that stud. Basically, it's framing in a window. Which is the next point. Why not just put in a window that you can pull in the AC unit and close for the winter?

HTH and doesn't cause too much confusion.

Rob

Jim Ketron
05-05-2004, 6:53 PM
I would take rob's advice !!

Jim

Jim Becker
05-05-2004, 6:58 PM
Yea, what Rob said...but check with your local authorities about the need (or not) for a permit to do this work...before you do the work.

Tim Morton
05-05-2004, 7:07 PM
Whay not take it a step further and actually install a window? They are fairly cheap and would give you added light. You will have to take the siding off , but that shouldn't take too long.

Rob Russell
05-05-2004, 7:34 PM
Whay not take it a step further and actually install a window? They are fairly cheap and would give you added light. You will have to take the siding off , but that shouldn't take too long.

Hmmm "Why not just put in a window ..." - I thought I said that :D :D

Rob

Tim Morton
05-05-2004, 8:55 PM
DOH!!...noone has ever acccused me of paying overly close attention to what others say, in fact at times i will even walk away from a conversation. :confused:

Brian Bischoff
05-05-2004, 9:53 PM
If you do not want to make a permanent change to your wall you can do what I did. I made a cart that supports the AC unit and rolls out through the service entrance in the side of the garage. Take a look at the following pictures showing what it looks like from both the inside and the outside.

Brian

Alan Tolchinsky
05-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Jim , I've done this a couple of times. I'd frame out as suggested above and install the unit. Then to seal the unit inside and out to the house do this: Make a frame around it like a picture frame using some 3/4" wood or some type baseboard molding. Do this inside and out and caulk and you're done. With the siding you might just skip the "frame" and just caulk between siding and A/C. Good luck. Alan

Jim Becker
05-06-2004, 8:29 AM
With the siding you might just skip the "frame" and just caulk between siding and A/C.
It may be best to use some j-molding to frame out the opening before you caulk...it provides a smooth, straight and uniform thickness edge and will reduce the amount of calk necessary...by about a gallon!

Jim Hill 2
05-06-2004, 8:39 AM
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I'll make a trip to Lowe's later today to research the options you have provided. Until now I was only thinking about cutting the hole and framing it up. (Thanks for the pictures Rob) The drawback is that the air conditioner would then have to stay in the house when we move. A window would add some value to the house, provide some light and allow me to take the airconditioner with me when we move :D . Sounds like a win win situation to me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!

Doug Littlejohn
05-06-2004, 5:02 PM
Jim,

I did this just last fall in my master bedroom, upstairs. We had windows, but I wanted a permanent installation that did NOT block use of a window.

I did as Rob suggested and then made a simple square frame with diagonal legs coming down from the outside (back side of A/C) of frame down to a sill bolted to the wall. I made the whole thing out of cedar and treated. I filled the cracks with the expanding foam and then made a drip edge out of flashing just above the A/C to take rainwater over and sway from the upper seam.

No leaks all winter long even with some really heavy rains. No drafts either. The wood I used was (as I said above) cedar, rough cut 2x4's.

Good luck.

Robert Ducharme
05-06-2004, 5:08 PM
Don't forget that you want the back of the A/C tilted slightly downward so that condensation drips out the grove at the back. You do not want it running into the house or collecting in the base (rust).