PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw guides?

Rick Fisher
08-30-2008, 3:35 AM
Well, I have heard of Carter Guides. They sell the smaller ones at Lee Valley, so I assume they are pretty good.

I picked up this scmi 24" bandsaw from the Auction today and it needs new guides. Anyone have any suggestions?

I want good ones.

The saw is a beauty. Needs some love but it was running the day of the auction. The tires are okay? a few lines in em.

I plan on putting a new Baldor/leeson motor, mag switch, guides and possibly tires. Then paint and polish.. I want it to be 100%..

So what type of guides should I buy?

Marlin Williams
08-30-2008, 6:34 AM
Look to see if another bandsaw makers guides will bolt up. Go to grizzly and look at the spec sheet on their 24" saws.

I am still trying to find soem lower guides for a Reliant DD90 but they put the guide holes near the outside not the inside like most 14" saws. So just check to make sure yours is made the same as any others if you go that route.

Larry Fox
08-30-2008, 7:38 AM
I have Carters on my MM-16 and love them. Best bet might be to call Carter on Monday and ask them if they have guides for your saw. They are great people to work with.

Brad Shipton
08-30-2008, 9:44 AM
I just put some Carters on my 18" GI and they improve the cut quality and accuracy quite a bit from my first tests. If you do decide to go with the Carters make sure to figure out exactly how they mount before ordering. It turned out I needed a couple other parts to mount the carter kit for my machine. I opted to fab a few parts myself instead, but did find the various pieces on Carters site that would have worked. Maybe none of this applies to the MM machines, but make sure. I know many of the 14" versions mount directly within minutes.

Brad

Rick Fisher
08-30-2008, 6:02 PM
This saw is exactly the same as the Mini-Max S-600P sold in Canada.

I sent Mini-Max Canada an email, asking about parts as well.

I dont really understand how the Mini-Max line up works. lol..