PDA

View Full Version : For those not reading my other thread... I beat the price hike!

Joshua Dinerstein
08-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to Ken and everyone else for the help and the thoughts and the suggestions. I bought a new Powermatic 3520B (Mustard Monster :) today. With a number of tasty extras to boot. Funny how when you are spending that much you just can't seem to help spending that little bit extra. :)

But again thanks for the patience and the helping me work through the swirl of my thoughts in reaching this conclusion. Just can't wait for it come!

Thanks,
Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
08-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Of course now I have a few simple questions for those that have gone before me down this path. (Come on stop laughing at me!!!! :)

I have a number of chucks for my old lathe that are 1"x8tpi. So at this point having spent all I can really spend I need a spindle adapter. New chucks are just going to have wait till next year. There is always the PSI one for $20 but there is also the Powermatic one. Is one really better than the other or should I save just a little bit, about $40 I guess, and just get the one from PSI. Anyone have any experience with that kind of thing?

Oh and I suppose this answers the question of what to get in terms of a live center. I will just use the one that comes with it! hehehe

Thanks again!
Joshua

Kurt Bird
08-30-2008, 6:46 AM
Joshua,
First, grats on the new lathe! I enjoy mine every time I use it. Now, second, check this site out: http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/ (http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/)
It has more info on it than you'll probably ever need. As for the spindle adapter, there is an outfit called best tools or bestwood tools (you may have to google it) where you can buy ready made or custom adapters. If I can locate it, I'll come back and edit this post. That was easy: www.bestwoodtools.com (http://www.bestwoodtools.com).
Anyway, hope you enjoy your new mustard.
Kurt Bird:)

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2008, 7:56 AM
Joshua - congrats on the new lathe! Looking forward to the photos and also to find out how you are going to power it!!

Sean Ackerman NY
08-30-2008, 8:02 AM
Enjoy Joshua! You'll love it.

robert hainstock
08-30-2008, 8:21 AM
I have a PSI adapter on my PSI chuck, works fine. But I would seriously consider Jim Kountz post today before I went outside the Mfg. and took a chance on thier tolerances. IMHOP. :eek::):)
Bob

Ken Glass
08-30-2008, 4:29 PM
Joshua,
We are all glad to help you into the "Club Mustard." You will be on needles and pins until it arrives. I know I was. You can get a good 1"x1-1/4" adapter at a lot of places, but Robert has good advice. Way to go on the new Monster!!

Mike Peace
08-31-2008, 10:40 PM
I know you will love the Mustard Monster. Make sure you have at least two strong men and a boy to assist in moving and setting it up.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Kurt gave you probably the best place for adaptors. I tried a couple of others and they were off causing wobble, etc. I got two from bestwoodtools and haven't looked back.

Don Orr
08-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey Joshua-way to go. Hope you enjoy it very much. You followed a simple philosophy-do it once, do it right and don't look back.:D

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Congratulations, Joshua!

I'm with Kurt on the Bestwoodtools recommendation for the spindle adapter. While I recommend avoiding them if at all possible, if you must, they make a very good one. The OEM live center will work just fine for now. You can get fancy later.

George Morris
09-01-2008, 9:26 PM
Congrats Jousha this is a great lathe. You have to check out the Mustard Monster site lots of great info I built the cabinet for under mine and also the swing away tailstock, when you lift that up and down a few times this is really worth it!