PDA

View Full Version : 35 Years since my last Lathe project

Mike Cutler
08-29-2008, 7:09 PM
I was given a lathe for use today, sort of the arrangement to store it at my house.
A friends father was a lifelong woodworker and passed a year or so back, and my friend inhierited (sp.)some of his fathers woodworking tools. Among them a lathe, which he has loaned me on a long term basis.
He knows I want to re-learn how to use a lathe, and offered me this one for loan to "get my chops back", so to speak first.
The lathe is a mid 80's Delta Rockwell 46-140, It seems like a nice lathe. Here is a pic, and any info on it is appreciated.

It came with a bunch of stuff. Some I recognize, some I don't. I don't really know what all of those small tools to the right are. They're from WoodCraft. It will be fun to figure them out.

I got into the garage today, and then went and got a piece of Orange Osage to fool around with. I had to try it out.:D,;)
I've been wanting to make handles for my LN chisels. The cocobola handles they came with are gorgeous, but the oils in them cause the handles to slip out of the sockets when in use.

So here is my first lathe project since the 10th grade 1973. It's a little rough,and definitely a one off. But it seems to work.:cool:
95807[/ATTACH[ATTACH]95808

I'm sure I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. First off, it appears I've forgotten how to properly position a skew. I never got the skews to work properly. They kept catching:o. The gouges went okay though, thankfully.

Tips, tricks, and advice greatly appreciated. Apologies for the lousy pic's. I have a terrible camera right now.

Mike

Jim Kountz
08-29-2008, 7:42 PM
First off, it appears I've forgotten how to properly position a skew. I never got the skews to work properly. They kept catching:o.

Mike

Muwha wha ha haha!! The mighty skew strikes again on yet another unsuspecting victim! :D:D
Sorry Mike couldnt resist. You see I too cant use a #&^(#)@)! skew to save my life so I feel for you!! I read all the stuff I could about it, got a video and even watched a pro or two. Im just skew stupid I guess!!:mad::mad::D:D:D:D
Congrats on the lathe and have fun turning again. I just got into it a year ago so I cant offer much advice other than get out there and make some chips fly. Its fun to me no matter what Im doing on it!

Andrew Derhammer
08-29-2008, 7:46 PM
Muwha wha ha haha!! The mighty skew strikes again on yet another unsuspecting victim! :D:D
Sorry Mike couldnt resist. You see I too cant use a #&^(#)@)! skew to save my life so I feel for you!! I read all the stuff I could about it, got a video and even watched a pro or two. Im just skew stupid I guess!!:mad::mad::D:D:D:D
Congrats on the lathe and have fun turning again. I just got into it a year ago so I cant offer much advice other than get out there and make some chips fly. Its fun to me no matter what Im doing on it!
I can use a skew proficiently but I still get catches every once in a while, i can do the same work with my parting tools, roughing gouge, scraper, and detail gouge and I never run the risk of catch. I say why bother.

Jim Underwood
08-29-2008, 9:14 PM
Skew, what skew? I see a negative rake scraper!:rolleyes: (Sorry Nick Cook!)

I'm proficient with the planing cut, and the v-groove cut with the skew, but I'm still very uncomfortable with using it for cutting beads.

Use a gouge instead.:p

Ah yes, the little gap bed Rockwell Delta. I've got one of those in my shop in a similar arrangement. As soon as I attach the 3/4 HP motor, and get it running, my friend will give me his jointer.

Mike Cutler
08-29-2008, 9:54 PM

Jim

Yeah, it was catching a bit on me.:eek:
I know that I knew how to use one when I was 13 or 14 years old, so hopefully just fooling around some with it, and things will start to come back. Might need a video too.;)

I do have to build a more robust stand for it, increase the weight to steady it, and raise it up some also. Get it steady and at the right height and then see if that helps me.

It was fun. I'd forgotten just how messy they were, but it was still fun.:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2008, 9:57 PM
Congrats on the lathe and welcome back to the world of turning. I have 5 skews and use them all the time. Yes there will be catches but if you use a safe driver carried by several suppliers the wood will stop turning if you get a catch. Tighten the tailstock and take off again.

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Mike - congrats on your lathe and getting back into turning! It is a lot of fun but I have to warn you - it gets addictive very fast and can become one of the most expensive sports you ever get into!

Have fun - looking to seeing more of your work!

Jim Heffner
08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Congrats Mike on the lathe score...wish I could have gotten one that way myself! Looks like a nice lathe to start over with again! I had to wait 46 years for my chance to start turning again....now I am wanting to turn more than any other woodworking that I do...really enjoy it! A good scroll chuck and few other options and you will be " sliding down the slippery slope" as well for a long while.I have been sort of obsessed with accessories for my lathe, bed extension, scroll chuck, mandrel chuck,
building a Longworth chuck, making jamb chucks an on and on it goes!
( That is part of the slippery slope)...hope you find out whether or not you really like it before investing a bunch of money on the expensive
stuff for a lathe. For now...have some fun and get to it!

Mike Cutler
08-31-2008, 9:08 AM
Jim

I don't even know what all those different "Chucks" are. It's going to be fun learning though.
I tried messing around making a bowl, well actually just getting a feel for moving to tools back and forth on the rest. I was really more interested in shaping a form, than actually making a bowl per se. The end result was a disaster, but it was definitely fun.

What I'm actually looking to do is re-learn pattern work. I'd like to make some columns for a project I have in mind,and of course, make those chisel handles.
I'll be hitting the bookstore this weekend,and surfing You Tube videos. Wait, I've got a Natural Horsemanship clinic this weekend, so it may be next weekend before I get on it again.

robert hainstock
08-31-2008, 4:09 PM
I gave up on the skew years ago. I admire those who use it proficiently, but am convinced I'll never be one of them. But I still turn after many years, and manage to get things done without it. Using the skew is a choice, and I have made mine. Good luck with yours. :eek::eek::)
Bob