PDA

View Full Version : Blum Tool Bench Planes

Jerry Thompson
08-29-2008, 6:52 PM
Has anyone out there used any of these planes?

Peter Quadarella
08-29-2008, 7:21 PM
I have the Jack and Jointer and love them. I am a beginner but they have been very straightforward to learn for me and I like the feel and lightness of the wood, not to mention the comfortable handles. Their function is as pleasing as their form as well.

Joel Goodman
08-29-2008, 7:22 PM
Look at Derek Cohen's review. Here or on his "inthewoodshop" website. Likes them.

Johnny Kleso
08-29-2008, 8:38 PM
I tried them at the IWF show and they work very well and are very light weight which is a plus for extended use but I did not change any blades or make adjustments as I was not sure what I was doing :)

Derek Cohen
08-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Jerry

This will save you looking ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/Blumplanereview-SmootherandForePlanes.html

Gary does very fine work. The planes are very pretty, beautifully made, amazingly light (which really says more about their being so well balanced since they are actually heavier than the HNT Gordon planes I compared them against), and work well.

The blades are quick to swap over and, with the system I demonstrated, are extremely easy to hone (and cheap!!!). Still, if you are a long-time Stanley user, they will take a little getting used to, but only because they are different, not because they are difficult.

I gather that Chris Schwarz has written a review for the next Pop Wood mag. I am looking forward to his experiences with Gary's planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek