PDA

View Full Version : Belt/Disc Sander Replacement

Jim Eller
08-29-2008, 6:16 PM
I have an old Craftsman (purchased 1/13/83) that I'm thinking of replacing. This unit is a 6"x48" belt and 9" disc.

From what I can see the prices have gone up :-). Like a Powermatic for $1400. Yes, I realize they are not the same.

Anyway, any suggestion?

I'm lookin' to do some bandsaw boxes.

BTW, does anyone make a two speed or a variable speed??

Thanks,
Jim

Lance Norris
08-29-2008, 6:28 PM
I have the Jet 6x48/9" disc open stand and like it very much. Its a great sander and much cheaper than $1400.

jason lambert
08-29-2008, 7:15 PM
I bought the jet started out with the cheap one it was ok but the tables where flimsey and wouldn't hold 90 deg. Also my friend bent the shaft on one so I returned it for the better one that was like $800. So far so good the machine is quite nice and robust. For the money it is quite nice.

I learned belt sanders and bufferes need bigger motors than you think.

Jim Eller
08-29-2008, 7:24 PM
Jason,

What model is the $800 sander?

Thanks.

jason lambert
08-29-2008, 8:14 PM
JSG-6CS, 6" x 48" Belt / 12" Disc Sander with Closed Stand

just looked though and amazon, now they get 1,229 for it guess it went up I get it the begining of the summer. I know it was under $900 that I paid. The next one down I was looking at was the grizzley it had alot of positive feedback, slightly smaller unit.

Doug Shepard
08-29-2008, 8:38 PM
I've got an older Delta Sanding Center that I found used, but when I was looking the Jet looked pretty good too. I use the heck out of the disc and wouldn't go with anything less than 12". I dont use the belt quite as much due to the short platen length but for small box length stuff it's good. A full edge sander and separate disc is probably a more optimal setup if the higher cost and increased space requirements weren't a factor.

Mike Heidrick
08-29-2008, 9:37 PM
My advise, get a used shopsmith MarkV and their beltsander if you have room. Variable speed and their belt sander is one very well built machine. You will also have the 12" disc sander. In addition any other tool configs you want to use.

Brian Kent
08-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I am very happy with the Grizzly G1014Z:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z

The belt changing is quick, the unit is solid and reliable. I use it not just for shaping, but for taking my boxes and other projects through the grits.

Only defect was that the paint on the stop rubbed off on projects. I sanded the paint off and it's fine.

$295 + $76.50 shipping = $371.50.

My first combination sander was a Ryobi for about $89. It had variable speed. The harder you pushed on the piece of wood, the slower the sander would go. Even had an automatic stop if you pushed hardd enough.

Bruce Page
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Jim, keep your eye open for deals in Craigslist, the local paper, even eBay. I picked up an older Delta off of Craigslist for cheap, (~$450 as I recall) that has been very reliable and much better made than you will find out there today - unless you buy industrial grade.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13017

Dave Lehnert
08-29-2008, 10:38 PM
My advise, get a used shopsmith MarkV and their beltsander if you have room. Variable speed and their belt sander is one very well built machine. You will also have the 12" disc sander. In addition any other tool configs you want to use.

What Mike said. The Shopsmith belt sander is the best on the market hands down. Link to a video below.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS105/SS105_Sanding_Shapes.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/01_BeltSander.jpg

Steve Nouis
08-30-2008, 4:17 AM
I'd vote for a edge sander, next to the tablesaw it's the most used machine in my shop. Steve

Steve Kohn
08-30-2008, 5:20 AM
I traded to get a 20 year old machine from a metal working shop. It was labeled as "Enco". However, it turns out to be identical to the Grizzly 1183 combination sander. I know because I just put new bearings in it using the Grizzly service manual. It was still running even with bad bearings after daily use.

I use this sander every day I am in the shop.