PDA

View Full Version : Finishing my first project

Paul Bui
08-29-2008, 5:18 PM
I am completely new here and have never done any woodworking other than back in 8th grade! I used to be a graphic designer/print prepress person but things change. My wife and I have started a home daycare and decided that our first project should be a whole toy kitchen. Kind of ambitious, all things considered, but so far everything is lining up and I haven't had to resaw too much wood!!!

Anyways, my question is this. We are in the process of finishing the kitchen. All the pieces have been sawed and assembled. Now we need to finish it. We used 1/2" mdf for just about everything. This was my plan for the actual painting of it.

1. 2 coats of Zinsser BIN with 320 grit sanded in between
2. 2-3 coats Latex paint with 320 sanding
3. 2 coats of Minwax polycrylic with 320 sanding

We are planning on using the Harbor Freight HVLP system(same as Rockler/Woodcraft from what I understand). How well do you think this will work? Am I using the right finishing materials? Is this overkill? I wanted something safe and non-toxic so that's why I wanted water-based. How do I thin the BIN or do I? I am assuming denatured alcohol. What about the latex paint? Polycrylic? Any tips from people who have gone before? I had read that the BIN was a good sealer/primer and polycrylic was a good water based topcoat. Is there one brand of latex paint that is better than another? I want to do it right but I also don't want to spend a fortune considering I probably could have bought a premade kitchen. Thanks for any and all tips!

Paul

Conrad Fiore
08-30-2008, 6:54 AM
Paul,
The BIN is thinned with alcohol and should spray ok thinned or unthinned from that system. The latex paint, could be a problem getting good results, even thinned at the usual max 10%. You would have to try it and see if that sprayer can handle the weight of that material. The Minwax Poly, I'm not sure that it is formulated to be sprayed and I just checked the Minwax website and non of it's WB topcoats list spraying as a method of application.