james mcgrew
08-29-2008, 4:47 PM
3d, vcarve, machining, signs,

James Jaragosky
08-29-2008, 6:37 PM
3d, vcarve, machining, signs,
Jim is that solid maple?
I have a cousin in Santa Barbara CA. that's a amateur sailor,
he eats and breaths all things sailing, he would be impressed as much as I am.
I really cannot wait until I can produce quality like that.
Did you create that file yourself?
What type of finish did you use?
What art the dimensions?
More details please

james mcgrew
08-30-2008, 4:15 PM
file is from one of the services i cant remember which ohe there are several vector art 3d has it!
\
ran 300ipm in yellow wood about two hours 10% stepover and very light sanding!

jim

James Jaragosky
08-30-2008, 7:31 PM
file is from one of the services i cant remember which ohe there are several vector art 3d has it!
\
ran 300ipm in yellow wood about two hours 10% stepover and very light sanding!

jim

yellow wood? Pine?
Thanks for the Information. and again nice work.

james mcgrew
09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
what i was hoping was to provoke some ionto showing what you do with your cnc!!

flutes
vector art 3d rosette, vcarve and a machine for printing money!!

Khalid Khattak
09-09-2008, 6:38 AM
what i was hoping was to provoke some ionto showing what you do with your cnc!!

flutes
vector art 3d rosette, v carve and a machine for printing money!!

what a nice piece of work. I am happy to see it... Good work james just keep it up and do not loose any work to post:)

Neville Stewart
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
From VectorArt. 18" x 18" x 1.25" Cut along Y using Gary Beckwith's bits

james mcgrew
09-16-2008, 4:06 AM
i wish i had more time!!

jim

Peter Meacham
09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Neville

Nice work - is that your vacuum setup (slide valve) sticking out from beneath your table. If so, can we get some more details and photos pls. It looks like a real compact arrangement.

Pete

Neville Stewart
09-16-2008, 7:59 PM
Yes thats the vac system affectionately known as 9-15. I'm heading up to Norman Oklahoma to a workshop at Joe Crumley's in the morning. I'll post pics of the vac, table and all I learn from the most talented Mr. Crumley. Short & sweet, but I wanted to at least, respond. Neville

Doug Overstreet
09-18-2008, 4:29 AM
That's some very nice work.

Neville Stewart
09-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Well just got back from Joes workshop, We learned lots of neat processes & tricks, including Sculpt Nouveau, designed, cut & finished the sign above us - Great time !! A big thanks to Joe, Gary, Chris, Doug, Leon, Pat, Dave, Bruce, Ken & Leon.

james mcgrew
09-24-2008, 5:59 AM
i have been keeping up with the sculpt noveau on shop bot!, that looks great!

jim

james mcgrew
10-05-2008, 9:11 AM
here is a new dust foot as the old one did not allow enough cfm's to be truley effective.

jim

Neville Stewart
10-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Very Nice James - well made & I presume very effective.

Neville Stewart
10-05-2008, 1:52 PM
Heres a test I did yesterday on a model from Vectorclip by Norbert. Its 15" in diameter, and I cant wait to make a larger one to finish with Sculpt Nouveau Iron - I will post the process.

james mcgrew
10-05-2008, 2:03 PM
excellent neville!! i hope we will prod a few others int posting work here!!

here are some more columns we did for a commercial hall way this week

jim

Keith Outten
10-05-2008, 4:04 PM
Good Grief you guys do some nice work...even James's custom vacuum foot is good looking. I have to find some more shop time so I can into the game :)

Neville Stewart
10-09-2008, 7:37 PM
Keith, maybe you could make this a Sticky/Gallery as a subset of CNC, so we cold post to it as we all progress?? Nevile

Keith Outten
10-10-2008, 6:47 AM
Neville,

Done deal, this is a sticky thread now. I will try to contribute as soon as possible.

james mcgrew
10-10-2008, 8:29 AM
i look forward to seing more from others and watch people grow at cnc!! it helps me!!

jim

Neville Stewart
11-06-2008, 3:36 PM
This is a really neat process of "metalising" material. This is a copper finish & it looks like its been hanging on a damp castle wall for 4 hundred years. I'll post a step by step in anyone wants it. Its a James Booth www.vectorart3d.com file cut in 1/2" mdf apx 26" diam. before & after finish & acid is applied to create the oxidation.

Kenneth Hertzog
11-20-2008, 9:23 PM
with the exception of a few pieces I cut this out on the cnc machine
sorry for the poor photos
I took the photos and packed it up for a show.
can't retake till Saturday

ken

101585 101586

101587 101588

Khalid Khattak
11-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow.. Kennet... Great work done.. Really beautiful!!!... I will really want a step-by-step guide for metallizing the material...:)
Thanks for posting such a nice master piece:)

James Jaragosky
11-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Wow.. Kennet... Great work done.. Really beautiful!!!... I will really want a step-by-step guide for metallizing the material...:)
Thanks for posting such a nice master piece:)
Nice work. I really like it. and very nice use of a old P.O. Box door.

james mcgrew
11-25-2008, 11:59 AM
aspire work, piece will be installed today.

jim

james mcgrew
11-27-2008, 6:18 PM
installed pieces (aspire)

James Jaragosky
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
The sign is my first attempt at multiple 3d files in one piece.
The dimensions of the sign are 47.5 x 23.25
The deer is carved on a 12 x 10 piece of Brazilian cheery ½ inch thick.
The skull is in a 11 x 8 piece of Brazilian cheery 1 in thick.
I had some major issues with the z axis creeping up as it traveled along the y axis and had to make mutable passes to complete the sign. speaking with Jim m on ventrillo we went over my ini file and he suggested some changes to discuss with Joey at camaster. Joey made some changes to my ini file the next day, he lowered the smoothing and reduced the acceleration on my x & y axis, I would of thought that this would have added time to the job but in fact it cut my time by several hours. After installing the changes the sign took only 9 hours, before the changes it was 20 hours to do the file.
Well that first ventrilo session with Jim m and Neville sure paid off for me.
Thanks to all three of you for your help and support.

Neville Stewart
12-12-2008, 5:00 PM
Glad you got the issues sorted out. That is still a very long time to cut, but looks can be deceiving. Very nice all the same. Great job for your first few projects. My first ones are permanently mounted... at the dump :-)

Neville Stewart
12-13-2008, 7:44 PM
Welder is 34 x 2 layers of 1/2 in MDF in Iron & Bronze, FD is 22 x 1/2 MDF in Bronze.

James Jaragosky
12-14-2008, 4:19 PM
Welder is 34 x 2 layers of 1/2 in MDF in Iron & Bronze, FD is 22 x 1/2 MDF in Bronze.
Very nice work Neville. I hope to discuss this technique with you on ventrilo soon. you never fail to impress me with your talent.

Khalid Khattak
12-17-2008, 8:27 AM
Jim and Stewart... please post more pics of ur work... We need pics...:)

james mcgrew
12-17-2008, 9:50 AM
thanks kahlid, i am setting up the new machine and will be here as soon as i can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sku-gFA7qnM

jim

Khalid Khattak
12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice to hear u are setting the new machine... hmmm... ur workshop is so big....

In couple of weeks u will see my new machine too... The working area of that machine will be 4.5' x 4.5' x 8"... (After setting up that machine, i will have no room left at my room;))It will constructed from all structural steel... and the special thing of this machine is that it will be driven by the the CHAINs ...

We expect accuracy within 0.09mm... Will do the rapid at 400IPM and cutting will be 300IPM..I am using 200Oz-in stepper motors for it... This machine will cut wood/Aluminum/steel plastics etc and i plan to machine Marble on it too...

Best Regards

Rob Wright
12-17-2008, 10:31 AM
This is a really neat process of "metalising" material. This is a copper finish & it looks like its been hanging on a damp castle wall for 4 hundred years. I'll post a step by step in anyone wants it. Its a James Booth www.vectorart3d.com file cut in 1/2" mdf apx 26" diam. before & after finish & acid is applied to create the oxidation.

Neville - I would love top see a step by step for this. I went the Sculpt Nouveau website and I am having a hard time seeing home you use the products on MDF. Thanks and it looks great!

Darren Salyer
12-25-2008, 6:21 PM
Using a homemade tabletop CNC machine bought from a seller here on Sawmill Creek. Made this in cherry for my wifes grandmother. Thanks for all the knowledge I've learned from all of the veterans here.
Darren

james mcgrew
12-26-2008, 7:45 AM
that is very nice!! did you make the sides as well?
kim

Darren Salyer
12-26-2008, 9:35 AM
Thank you, Jim.
I made the sides on a shaper. As I'm sure you can tell, the top carving is a Vectric piece. I was asked to make a small box as a gift when nothing could be found in a store. The praying hands were a surprise I added, that went over very well. Total time to carve was around 18 minutes, for the 4 inch diameter piece. Total time on the project was about 3 hours. Very well worth it to see the look on my wifes 85 year old grandmothers face when she opened it on Christmas.
Darren

james mcgrew
12-26-2008, 9:46 AM
oh yea!! i can relate to the smile!!

jim

Keith Outten
12-26-2008, 9:52 PM
Simply elegant! Nice work Darren.

james mcgrew
12-29-2008, 6:49 AM
one of the CAMaster owners in NY has made a video of the recoil lathe!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIPsZHinSc

Darren Salyer
12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I use my Legacy Ornamental Mill to make those now, although not near as easily. That video is the destination to the path I've started down with my little tabletop CNC machine.
Darren

james mcgrew
12-29-2008, 11:13 AM
darren, camaster is building this lathe in smaller sizes as well i am told there will be another at the greensboro nc woodworking show

jim

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 7:30 AM
way to cool to pass by!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCiOrC-rR08&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpfxGqQJtFU&feature=related

brian newman
01-19-2009, 9:33 PM
Neville
Hi just new to this site.Is that the tree of life you were milling if so are you willing to share the dxf file.I've been looking for that for awhile.
Great looking work James & Neville

Thanks Brian

Keith Outten
01-23-2009, 9:33 AM
Here is a quick pic of my first project using Aspire. I had some help with the original file from Angus Hines, he jumped in to help me get the file ready to go because I have to get this project ready to ship to the Middle East ASAP.

The eagle has a rabbit machined on the back so we can inset it into a plaque designed for the American Flag box we are shipping to Afghanistan. It's about 7.5" in diameter, 1/2" thick Cameo White Corian which machined like a dream. I used a 1/4" ball nose for roughing and a 1/8" ball nose cutter for the finish pass.

Our flag box is made from cherry and so is the matching plaque we are making. I should be able to finish machining the plaque Saturday, then both pieces will be stained and finished. The last item is a laser engraved inset to put on the plaque with the dedication and information about the flag which flew over the historic Yorktown Battlefield.

I hope to have this project finished by Sunday evening so we can build the shipping box Monday morning. Pictures of the finished project are forthcoming :)

james mcgrew
01-23-2009, 9:40 AM
i am impressed!!

jim

Angus Hines
01-23-2009, 9:46 AM
THat looks awesome Keith.....alot better than in pink foam....:D

Mike Null
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Keith

Fantastic. My guess is that you could sell a ton of those.

Angus Hines
02-13-2009, 8:43 AM
So my first piece of real wood....(BloodWood).

James Jaragosky
02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
So my first piece of real wood....(BloodWood).

Details please.

Roughing bit size, percent of step over , speed

Finish bit size, percent of step over , speed

what is the dimensions of the wood.

Did you have to limit the depth of the file cut for such a large dimension of wood?

jim j.

Angus Hines
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok

I used a 1/2" Ball Nose roughing. With default stepover, and speed.

Then a 1/8" Ball Nose with a 5% stepover @ 8 ips and 2 ips on the Z

The blank size was 13.5" x 16" Bloodwood.

I didn't do anything accept load the file make it 12" x 16" and ran it. So the depth is what it was when I got the file.

learned a lot playing with it.

Details please.

Roughing bit size, percent of step over , speed

Finish bit size, percent of step over , speed

what is the dimensions of the wood.

Did you have to limit the depth of the file cut for such a large dimension of wood?

jim j.

James Jaragosky
02-13-2009, 2:56 PM
Ok

I used a 1/2" Ball Nose roughing. With default stepover, and speed.

Then a 1/8" Ball Nose with a 5% stepover @ 8 ips and 2 ips on the Z

The blank size was 13.5" x 16" Bloodwood.

I didn't do anything accept load the file make it 12" x 16" and ran it. So the depth is what it was when I got the file.

learned a lot playing with it.

Nice work Angus. Did you use aspire or the shopbot default program for resizing the image?
I use a 1/2 in end mill for most of my roughing, set 100 ipm 100 plunge .25 step over. If I cut with the grain this can produce some large chips in some woods. If the chips become a problem I reduce the stepover slightly.
For a finish bit I generaly find 8% stepover to be accectiable.
Jim J.

Angus Hines
02-13-2009, 3:15 PM
I had to use PartWorks 3D because for some reason Aspire kept telling me that it wasn't a 3D model ??

Thanks for the feed and speed info.

I did one at 8% rastered on the 45 / and it came out looking like corduroy pants. So I did the one in the picture rastered along the X at 5% maybe it was the 45 / thing that threw it off like that ??

James Jaragosky
02-13-2009, 4:07 PM
I purchased some 1/2 Corian form fellow creeker Kal Robinson (http://sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=6035) he was very easy to work with and shipped fast.
Anyhow my first test using the material went fairly well. I did break through due to operator error. but the Corian held the detail very nicely.
The first picture is with the break through and the second pictures is touched up to show how it should have turned out.

James Jaragosky
02-13-2009, 4:10 PM
I had to use PartWorks 3D because for some reason Aspire kept telling me that it wasn't a 3D model ??

Thanks for the feed and speed info.

I did one at 8% rastered on the 45 / and it came out looking like corduroy pants. So I did the one in the picture rastered along the X at 5% maybe it was the 45 / thing that threw it off like that ??

Yes I believe you get better results along the z if that follows the wood grain.

Angus Hines
02-13-2009, 4:36 PM
Isn't Corian great stuff to machine. My vac plenum is corian.

james mcgrew
02-13-2009, 8:25 PM
angus after you left the other day i was kickin my self in the butt for not loading your car with wood, solid surface, and parts for a new dust foot

you and james send me your addresses

jim

Angus Hines
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I can come back with the F-250. And then you won't have that table in your way anymore......LOL

angus after you left the other day i was kickin my self in the butt for not loading your car with wood, solid surface, and parts for a new dust foot

you and james send me your addresses

jim

Keith Outten
02-16-2009, 7:26 AM
James,

Very nice work on the Corian piece. Be careful or you will get hooked on the stuff :)

I have a few 3/4" thick pieces of Corian I have been saving for a rainy day. There is rain in my short term forecast :)

James Jaragosky
02-21-2009, 5:39 PM
James,

Very nice work on the Corian piece. Be careful or you will get hooked on the stuff :)

I have a few 3/4" thick pieces of Corian I have been saving for a rainy day. There is rain in my short term forecast :)
Keith; Thanks for the encouragement.
I look forward to the pictures for your rainy day project.

In the mean time here is my latest.

The wood is Brazilian cherry, the size is 13 x 13 x 1.25 thick
The bass is from James Booth's collection that came free with Aspire.
The bass is .75 at it's deepest point.
I used a 3/8 60 degree for all the v-carving; the bass was done with a .0625 ball nose for the finish pass.
I assembled the entire project in Aspire. The hole lay out was really easy using Aspire.

I do need to get a few bits so I can produce more interesting borders.

james mcgrew
02-21-2009, 5:49 PM
that is beautiful!

jim

Angus Hines
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Thats awesome

James Jaragosky
02-23-2009, 6:54 PM
Thats awesome

Today's experiment. Made from scratch; completely with aspire .

Khalid Khattak
02-24-2009, 5:45 AM
Beautiful work:) I don't know about the game, but the player must feel proud playing on this board:)

James Jaragosky
03-04-2009, 2:22 PM
Beautiful work:) I don't know about the game, but the player must feel proud playing on this board:)
This is made from 1in thick Padouk the size is 10.5x8.5
the deer seen is from James Booth at vetctorart3d it came with my aspire purchase.
Fairly cheap to make; the clock parts are $5 the wood was around $7 and 1.5 hours on the CNC.
I like the tung oil finish on the Padouk.
Jim J

james mcgrew
03-04-2009, 2:32 PM
james you never cease to amaze me!!

jim

James Jaragosky
03-04-2009, 2:45 PM
james you never cease to amaze me!!

jim
Because of the varying thicknesses of the wood I have had less that perfect results using the laser to number my clock faces.

Michael Kowalczyk
03-04-2009, 6:30 PM
This is made from 1in thick Padouk the size is 10.5x8.5
the deer seen is from James Booth at vetctorart3d it came with my aspire purchase.
Fairly cheap to make; the clock parts are $5 the wood was around $7 and 1.5 hours on the CNC.
I like the tung oil finish on the Padouk.
Jim J

Hey James,
Great work!!!! but at 1.5 hours each can you make a profit?
What are you using for settings?
Tooling? How many?
step over?
RPM?
Feedrate?

James Jaragosky
03-04-2009, 8:04 PM
Hey James,
Great work!!!! but at 1.5 hours each can you make a profit?
What are you using for settings?
Tooling? How many?
step over?
RPM?
Feedrate?

If you are asking am I getting what I should for one of these small clocks; the answer is probably not.
Then again I am not optimized for production.
I used a 1/2in end mill for the rough a 1/4in ball nose in for the finish and a 3/8in 60 degree for the numbering. The rough I run at 100ipm, the finish I ran at 75ipm and the vcarve was 100ipm. I am asking $95 for the small ones, I doubt that a brick and mortar business could turn a profit at that price level.

Michael Kowalczyk
03-04-2009, 8:46 PM
Hey James,
Just curious but why so slow?
depending on the wood, I would probably be at 400-700IPM for the rough, 200-300 for the finish and the v-bit probably won't matter much but at least 150-200. The CNC controller should determine the fastest feedrate by what distance it has to accell and decell. It can only go as fast as the controller will go but only if your feedrate is higher than the fastest it will allow for that distance. If the quality is not there then back off a bit but don't be afraid to break a bit once in a while by pushing your CNC. hopefully you have some slightly used but still sharp bits to do these tests. It is a little bit painful :eek: when you break a new one and even more when it is a new diamond bit :eek::eek::eek:.

To see if it is worth it just run a dry run with the highest setting you think it could handle and see how much less time it takes. Then you have something to gauge your time a little more with. How many more do you think you could sell if you could do them in 1/2 the time? The next time saver would be doing multiples, say 4 in a row. It cuts down your time also because less tool changes per item.

You will also have to make sure your blanks are ABSOLUTETLY SECURE to take the added lateral force.
Let me know if this helps,

james mcgrew
03-05-2009, 7:46 AM
client came yesterday to see some work and while they were there her husband commented that "aspire is an asset" to you,

i certainly agreed

jim

Keith Outten
03-05-2009, 8:26 AM
This is something I have been working on for awhile but hadn't quite decided how I wanted to do the inlay treatment. I had considered paint but it just didn't seem to fit the bill. Granted it isn't a complex project but I got the opportunity to experiment using Dupont adhesive.

The plaque is Pompei Red Corian. Burgandy and orange are Virginia Tech's colors, as close as I could get anyway with solid surface material. I am pleased with the results, even though there are a couple of places that could have been better it looks great at an arms length :) I found that by putting the adhesive tip deep in the v-groove and pushing the adhesive upward it eliminated air bubbles.

The picture is a little fuzzy but the lines came out perfect, I must have had the shakes :(

I'm working up to attempting an Aspire project that involves multiple layers/colors of Corian plus some inlay but I wanted to sharpen my skills a bit first.

I think with a bit more work I can get the technique down pat so I'm working on another little project using CNU chisel letters in white with a dark blue inlay. The design is done....now on to the router :)

james mcgrew
03-05-2009, 8:28 AM
fun work!!

jim

James Jaragosky
03-05-2009, 8:51 AM
Nice Use of the adhesive. The project looks good.
What bit did you use to cut the profile?
Do you use a mechanical clamp method or vacuum?
Thanks for sharing.
Jim J.

Keith Outten
03-09-2009, 4:26 PM
Jim,

The plaque was held with clamps. The contour detail was cut with a 60 degree vbit and the perimeter was cut with a quarter inch spiral bit. A simple little job but it brought a big smile to the new owner, you would have thought is was made of gold :)

What I got out of the job was some experience using the Dupont adhesive. I made a couple of mock-ups to get the hang of applying the adhesive and get the air bubbles out as I went along the groove. This stuff dries so fast there isn't a lot of time to work with it as it starts to skim over real quick.

Peter Meacham
04-18-2009, 7:04 PM
Neville

Did you ever post the process for aging your products - I, for one, would certainly be interested pls.

Thanks, Pete

James Jaragosky
06-04-2009, 12:49 PM
MY latest design; Yes it is simple, but it works well. I will snap a picture when it is painted.
I used Aspire to design it.

James Jaragosky
06-04-2009, 4:15 PM
Here it is with paint

james mcgrew
06-08-2009, 8:11 PM
redid the church file as a fathers day gift to the church, james booth did this from a photograph and the detail is amazing!

jim

james mcgrew
06-09-2009, 8:31 AM
this is the photo i gave james

jim

james mcgrew
06-28-2009, 3:13 PM
making corbels with aspire

jim

Angus Hines
06-28-2009, 3:32 PM
Nice ain't aspire fun !!!

Keith Outten
06-28-2009, 5:02 PM
Nice job James!

David Harvey
06-30-2009, 9:06 AM
Well, with all of the really nice stuff posted in this thread, I don't really feel adequate anymore...sigh:(

But...I guess I'll show you my latest. These are a set of gun grips I'm doing for a customer that sells handgun grips. I modeled them in Aspire (still learning this...) and machined them from 3/4" thk. walnut. I used a 1/4" ball nose @ 6 inches/sec feed rate on XY and 1 inch/sec on the Z. I didn't used any rough cut..just let the ball nose do it's thing (I did this to cut machining time down..thus piece price for the customer).

I wasn't completely happy with the finish :eek:(required some sanding) so will be trying it with a 1/16" ball nose today and slower feeds, but I will do a rough cut 1st on this one.

Machining time for this set of grips was about 20 minutes.

Kent Fjeld
07-03-2009, 3:06 PM
Here is the largest litho I have done to date 13.25 x 27.5 needs little more cleaning and framework and lights ... I will post finished product when I figure it out :rolleyes:

Did the cleaning added new pics

Kent

Skip Weiser
07-04-2009, 2:46 PM
You guys do nice work!

David Harvey
07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Kent,
Holy WOW! ...pardon the pun. THat is simply incredible! Love it.

David

james mcgrew
07-18-2009, 6:00 PM
some residential uses for aspire and cnc

jim

Keith Outten
07-19-2009, 8:32 AM
James,

I'm looking forward to meeting you in October, you obviously have broken the Aspire learning curve and have lots of experience to share.

BTW your spoilboard looks like mine, I'm not alone in abusing my sacrificial routing surface :)

james mcgrew
07-19-2009, 9:40 PM
i do look forward to meeting you as well!!

jim

David Harvey
07-24-2009, 7:10 AM
Excellent work James. You truely do some great stuff and obviously have a LOT of talent.

Keep it up

David

james mcgrew
07-24-2009, 7:12 AM
david i see you are in NC, i hope you will consider coming down in october for the aspire/vectric gathering,

jim

Keith Outten
07-24-2009, 8:20 AM
I'm a bit premature with these pictures because this sign fabrication has a ways to go. I have to make nine signs for the Fraternity Houses at CNU so I came up with the idea of using a 3D banner along with 5" tall chisel letters for the Greek letters. The substrate will be a highly polished dark blue Corian plaque, the banner is cut from one inch thick PVC board and the Greek letters will be machined from white Corian. I couldn't figure out how to get Aspire to place the text along the banners curve and ran out of time so I adjusted the angle manually. Its OK but it could have been much better. The banner is 15 inches long and 6 inches tall.

I should have the first sign completed by Monday or Tuesday depending on whether I am interrupted during the day.

James Jaragosky
07-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm a bit premature with these pictures because this sign fabrication has a ways to go. I have to make nine signs for the Fraternity Houses at CNU so I came up with the idea of using a 3D banner along with 5" tall chisel letters for the Greek letters. The substrate will be a highly polished dark blue Corian plaque, the banner is cut from one inch thick PVC board and the Greek letters will be machined from white Corian. I couldn't figure out how to get Aspire to place the text along the banners curve and ran out of time so I adjusted the angle manually. Its OK but it could have been much better. The banner is 15 inches long and 6 inches tall.

I should have the first sign completed by Monday or Tuesday depending on whether I am interrupted during the day.

That looks nice Keith. Corian looks nice no matter what you do with it. Wish I had more money to play with the stuff.

Here are two ways arc your text.
The hard way
·Draw a single line in the banner
·Select the node tool.
·Right click and select the convert to arc option
·Grab the center node and create an arc that meets your needs
·select your normal pick tool
·Center the arch in the banner manually or using the center objects button.
·Copy the text to that arch using the wrap text along curve button
Something to keep in mind is text spacing not properly changing. You may need to manually space your letters to accommodate some types of fonts. This is easily done using the edit text spacing and curve tool.
The easy way
·Type your text and hit create, then close the window
·Single click the edit text spacing and curve tool button
·You will see two green and one white square reference markers pop up in the center of your text
·Hover over or under the green, ones and you will see your mouse curser change to a very small arc
·Left click and hold while dragging your text up or down
That is it unless you want to have the text tilt or fade with the elevation of the banner.

Also, remember that if you convert the text to curves the only way to get it back is with the undo tool, which may not be convenient if you have done other modifications to your project that you want to keep. Make sure you move everything to different layers and keep copies of orignals so you can easily work with each element independently and have a back up for those inevitable mishaps.

Keith Outten
07-25-2009, 1:52 PM
Thanks James for the tip, I have eight more to machine so it wil come in handy.

james mcgrew
07-26-2009, 6:53 AM
carving this was a trip, but our finish fellow really surprised me!!

AL Ursich
07-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I do a mix of small signs and Fire Departement Stuff.

This clock was a Wetdown Clock for 3 new trucks. I also do Accountability Tags and Accountability Boards for tracking Firemen.

I use the CarveWright to cut the Fire Tag Stock.

AL

james mcgrew
07-29-2009, 7:06 AM
is where it goes!

jim

james mcgrew
08-03-2009, 8:57 PM
we have been in this house 14 months and are about there

jim

Keith Outten
08-15-2009, 3:10 PM
I am still machining parts. I have all of the letters cut out now and I am still working on the remaining banners so I can get them permanently glued up and installed. It took me three half days to polish the dark blue Corian plaques but all nine plaques are complete now.

The picture below gives you an idea of what the finished signs will look like. I still have to print the paper templates to accurately place the letters and the banners on the plaques. I have had to work on these when time has been available lately due to time constraints on other projects.

james mcgrew
08-22-2009, 1:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCrEJ2Ud5YU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ethestate%2Ecom%2Flocal%2Fs tory%2F911977%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

Jim Underwood
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
This is the first time I've even visited this forum. I'm normally to be found on the Turning Forum as a weekend turner.

My day job involves design software support, CNC and shop machinery support as well as other technical stuff.

And then I get to play ArtCAM and our KOMO router:

james mcgrew
09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
now that is a really nice door!!

jim

Jim Underwood
09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Thank you James.

It took 5:40 just to machine the panel. That doesn't include the shaping and finishing. Don't even ask about design time.... 2 weeks minimum. It doesn't include the learning curve, machine testing time, and reworking. I'm still learning ArtCAM. :rolleyes:
I used a 1/8 ballnose with 10% stepover at about 150 ipm with a .010" allowance (shoulda made it .020"), and then a 1/16 ballnose at 100 ipm with a .005" stepover. Both were raster cuts.

How does one even begin to charge what this is worth?

james mcgrew
09-02-2009, 12:36 PM
i price it into the component and not individually but at this point i can design faster than i used to so about 100 a door with out finishing or door cost, 3d sign people get 100 a square foot for machining

jim

Jim Underwood
09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I can't see only charging $100/per door for this kind of work. The machine time alone at $100/hr puts it near $600. I either have to price it high, or find a way to get it to machine faster.

A similar handcarved door panel from Enkeboll costs at least $200, and that doesn't include shipping, machining and assembling door parts, or finishing.

james mcgrew
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
at 5+ hour machining i can see that ! i have some grape columns that when i started this took 30 hours, now i use rest machining and do them in 4 at 84" x 8" i get 600 a panel, i know nothing of art cam as i use aspire, when you ran the panel did you run it twice or use rest tool pathing, it is an extremly beautiful door though!!

Jim Underwood
09-02-2009, 1:07 PM
I have yet to test or use the "machine rest" in ArtCAM.

I used 2 tools both set on raster style.

I need to try the "machine rest" on my test piece to see if I can reduce the time and still retain the details.

james mcgrew
09-02-2009, 1:14 PM
your file is excellent but it will reduce tool time! it is a bit of craftmanship but the overlay of the leaf on the frame is a time killer, kinda like whatever they are willing to pay for!

jim

Jim Underwood
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I really should give credit for part of the design. I adapted the geometric part from one of Wayne Barton's books on chip carving. However, the leaf and acorn design is entirely my own.

I'll be trying to reduce machine time by doing some time/machining studies on a small portion of this thing. Perhaps I can even get this into the affordable range.

james mcgrew
09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
i have a large library of 3d components and a good many vector files as well as clip art, yesterday your door looked so interesting i am gonna run one in a few, so far i am under two hours and the most of that is the texture, on a small run somtines it is quicker to do that with some old tim hand techniques

james mcgrew
09-04-2009, 8:41 AM
saw this site today and he is pricing online
http://www.threegryphons.com/catalogue.htm

jim

Jim Underwood
09-17-2009, 2:15 PM
James,

I'm just wondering if you ran that door panel, and what kind of time you ran into?

james mcgrew
09-17-2009, 2:19 PM
i prepped the wood and got busy on a bunch of other stuff, i will see if i can run it over the weekend. i have a bed to build and may incorporate some of this type panel into it

jim

James Jaragosky
09-25-2009, 2:55 PM
This is what I was able to accomplish this week. It has been difficult to find shop time due to the workload from school, and all the usual weekend family commitments.
The End table top is oak with an orange stain; the chicken outline fill is a black stain. The legs are popular, and painted with milk paint. Everything got two coats of water-based poly.
The Aztec top is made from 1x4’s of popular glued up. it is stained with a water based blue and highlighted with oil based copper paint. Finished with two coats of water-based poly. The legs on the Aztec top came from a garage sale ($7)

james mcgrew
09-25-2009, 5:51 PM
james!! that is cool!!

jim

Khalid Khattak
09-26-2009, 2:31 AM
Jim and James.. Rulz the world :)

james mcgrew
10-04-2009, 8:05 PM
this work was shown at the aspire gathering in columbia SC this weekend, also we will see more rotary axis work as it was shown at this meeting using the indexer wizard program by rich goldner, vectric has also announced they will add it to the aspire and vcarve program.

jim

Gordon Bowen
11-20-2009, 7:03 PM
Thats some beautiful work. I starting to feel I've bitten off more than I can handle. I recently purchased a CW machine but have no graphics type expierence or software. I guess I might want to consider a course or two or bunches!

james mcgrew
11-20-2009, 7:36 PM
gorden, the carvewright is an excellent first step! the software is what lead me to eventually go larger but in a step by step manner it will be easier than you imagine. i purchased my carvewright in june of 07 and my first large cnc in november 07

jim mcgrew

james mcgrew
12-03-2009, 3:22 PM
this is for the us army chaplins school at ft jackson in columbia sc, the budget was not extravagant but having a cnc allows us to make it a bit more special.

jim

Guy Mathews
12-03-2009, 4:05 PM
Outstanding!

Belinda Barfield
12-03-2009, 4:39 PM
Beautiful work James!

Kent Fjeld
01-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Here is what I cut for my parents... Needed some brownie points :cool:

James Jaragosky
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Here is what I cut for my parents... Needed some brownie points :cool:
Kent that some beautiful work.

james mcgrew
01-07-2010, 7:26 AM
kent i am grateful for your help with my efforts to do lithos, i have also seen some of your other work and hope to see more here!!

excellent

jim

james mcgrew
02-23-2010, 1:58 PM
the cnc forum has grown and so much gets put in the regular threads it gets lost, hope to revive this gallery

jim

Gene Crain
02-23-2010, 6:59 PM
yeeehaawww...nice work as always Jim!

uggghhh it was sunny and 85 here today...:cool:

so I see you are gonna sell that machine...payments???

keep making chips...some day I might get to your level :eek:

Gene Crain
plantasymaderas DOT com

james mcgrew
02-23-2010, 8:42 PM
somtimes i think i will sell the machine and then i wake up!!

jim

Brandon MacDougall
03-11-2010, 2:26 AM
Here is one of my violins i been building lately with my hobby CNC.

Lightwave 3D STL to Carvewright STL. @565 .kg

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ElectricViolin5BBR005.jpg

james mcgrew
03-11-2010, 2:48 AM
now that is bad a$# !!

Guy Mathews
03-11-2010, 6:08 AM
now that is bad a$# !!

Sure is! And he is using a Carvewright!!!!! Way to go Brandon!!!!

james mcgrew
03-11-2010, 6:30 AM
i still have my carvewright and threaten to light it up one weekend!.

jim

Nicholas Bukky
03-11-2010, 8:40 AM
That is truly nice work.

Jim do you mean with gasoline?

Nick

james mcgrew
03-11-2010, 9:34 AM
there were time when gasoline was an option!! then i bought the camaster, all in all the carvewright needed some parts here and there, (the opto eye and chucks) i bought extras and i am sure it still works

jim

Brandon MacDougall
03-11-2010, 5:24 PM
Here is a blueprinted Les Paul we did in Lightwave 3D then imported to Designer. The CW was used to carve, drill, and radius all the wood parts including inlay pockets:

the top is maple with a mahogany back and neck rosewood fingerboard with cellulose traps.

Lightwave 3D STL to Carvewright STL.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LPSPLTR001.jpg

james mcgrew
03-11-2010, 5:29 PM
makes me wanna revisit my rock star ambitions:cool:

Brandon MacDougall
03-11-2010, 5:33 PM
makes me wanna revisit my rock star ambitions:cool:

Me too but i am getting old and tired. :) :cool:

Robert Alexander
03-20-2010, 12:24 AM
This is one of my projects I did with my C.N.C. that I am proud of.I took about 6 hours of machine time total. It is made of 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" acx plywood. And our cub scouts love it.

james mcgrew
03-20-2010, 8:58 AM
and you have only had that cnc how long?

the big wooden box on whells
storage? man that thing will be used by them for years to come!!

excellent
jim

Robert Alexander
03-21-2010, 7:54 PM
and you have only had that cnc how long?

the big wooden box on whells
storage? man that thing will be used by them for years to come!!

excellent
jim

The C.N.C. is just over 4 months old.
The big box on wheels (a little to big) could have been smaller. But it has nice graphics to make up for the ugly plywood. I will do some sanding when time permits.

james mcgrew
03-24-2010, 8:29 PM
cartoche 9 10

Robert Alexander
03-25-2010, 4:40 PM
cartoche 9 10

So Jim how did you do that piece? Did you draw it up in Aspire with the sweep tool function? What kind of wood was used. And the type of finish used. If I did not have another commitment :(in May I would have come to your little get together in S.C.

james mcgrew
03-25-2010, 4:57 PM
the wood is yellow heart more later

Guy Mathews
03-26-2010, 7:22 AM
So Jim how did you do that piece? Did you draw it up in Aspire with the sweep tool function? What kind of wood was used. And the type of finish used. If I did not have another commitment :(in May I would have come to your little get together in S.C.

Ditto to all of the above!!! To include S.C. Got your email, but can't make it. Wish I could. I would love to show off the Polhemus Laser Scanner and see the chess pieces in person.

C'mon Jim. Tell us how this project was done start to finish.

Guy

james mcgrew
03-26-2010, 7:31 AM
this is a file a fellow sent me to sample, i have gotten much better at modeling and will run one this weekend i am pretty proud of. the photo is of a panel with the file i made. the wood is yellow heart the finish is harvest nana chem stain with one coat of laquer, file was well done and only clean up was in ridges where verticla round shows. ran w 1/8th bit 16000 rpm at 450 ipm

the polhemus would be a big hit and i do wish you could make it, that would be a good round of the whole process!!

the dvd that was prepared for vectrics user groups is very well done and goes a lot further into modeling

there are a lot of new file products working there way to market!!

the coat of arms is a james booth file, the center i did

jim

james mcgrew
04-01-2010, 9:55 PM
quickie for a client, had all of 10 minutes to photograph and it was gone

Jim Underwood
05-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I started this wall hanging just before Christmas '09. Design time was like, forever... I can't remember what kind of machine time it took. I had all the parts cut out by Christmas Eve, though. I've just now finished it. I was hung up on on how to join the thirteen pieces of this. Finally just mounted it all on a quarter inch ply with Titebond and screws. The rays are Cherry, the disk is Alder, the Moon is Birdseye Maple, and the stars are Walnut. It's about 24x24 with a lacquer finish.

I'd do it a bit differently at this point. I'd cut the blanks for the rays, and cut the angles, then join them before carving. And I'd use 2D pathing for the recesses and outlines , instead of carving everything. I should probably make another just to improve the process.

Oh well, at least the wife has her Christmas present now...:rolleyes:

Keith Outten
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Jim U,

Thats a real beauty!

james mcgrew
05-06-2010, 8:21 AM
that is real nice, my guess is about 24" diameter?

jim

Brandon MacDougall
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hello, more violins..

A new 4 string I made in maple and cocobolo. The violin is semi acoustic, The parts started out in Lightwave 3D then carved on the Carveright wood working system.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ElectricViolinR016.jpg

Brandon

Michael Schwartz
05-15-2010, 8:32 PM
I Cut this the other day as my second attempt at 3D. I have had my PRS Standard for about 6 months now but I haven't had a reason to cut any 3D files yet.

The file came from Vector Art 3D, and was cam'd using CUT 3D. The depth was scaled from about .75" to 1.25", and cut out from 8/4 cherry.

The details.

Z Level roughing 1/4" down spiral. 2 IPS
Cut time was about an hour.

Finishing - 1/8" tapered ball mill, (xy) 2 ips, (Z) 1 ips. 6% Step-over,
Rastering with the grain along the X axis.
Cut time - Roughly 4.5 hours.

Cut out - 1/2" strait bit (left about .1", and cut the rest out with a laminate trimmer).

I changed the ramp values to those suggested by Brady Watson in a few different threads on talk shopbot and they worked very nicely. The information I have found on this forum, and shopbot's related to 3D have been extremely helpful.

I have not sanded the carving yet, but the results were nice. At arms length you don't see any lines or fuzz. I am pretty impressed with the results, and now I am hooked on the idea of 3D machining. I will be cutting allot more 3D to build up a portfolio.

The burning on the cutout was from a bad bearing on the flush trim bit I used to cut the piece out. I left about a .1 skin on the cutout tool path.

Gene Crain
05-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Interior pine door panel. Finish door size 24X84X1.375

Gene

Joey Jarrard
05-19-2010, 1:11 PM
Gene that looks great. Good job.

Hope all is well

Guy Mathews
05-19-2010, 3:08 PM
Very nice Gene.
I am assuming Aspire for file generation. Did you make the 3D relief file and the toolpath or just the tool path? Also, which way did you machine across the grain or with grain? And of course, how long?

Once again, nice job.

Guy

Gene Crain
05-19-2010, 8:41 PM
Thanks for the comment Joey...especially since this was cut on a "blue" machine. :eek: I am now "Friends of the Creek" so I will need you to do a big favor for us come the 5th of July...after we win the drawing for the Stinger it will need to be crated very well cause it's a long way from Calhoun to San Jose del Cabo :D

Guy,

I set the tool path only. .320 deep each side 9% stepover .25 ballnose raster in X with the grain 6:45 hrs finish pass only, no rough minimal sanding needed. I will cut panel to size, put in a ply box to run in shaper for the .25 tounge that sits in the stile/rails of the door frame.

Thanks for the comments

Gene

Nicholas Bukky
05-19-2010, 8:54 PM
Nice work Gene!!

Joey won't have to pack that Stinger to much to ship to Ohio though!!

Hope all is well looks like you are busy!!

Nick

Gene Crain
05-23-2010, 4:12 PM
Finished door.

Gene

james mcgrew
05-23-2010, 4:26 PM
you are getting it!!

Dennis OBrien
05-23-2010, 5:20 PM
I'm not a seasoned cabinet maker so it looks to me like he's got it!

Dennis

Gene Crain
05-23-2010, 6:36 PM
you are getting it!!

I'm a slow study guys...thanks for your patience

Gene

Michael Schwartz
05-23-2010, 9:16 PM
looks nice :cool:

Michael Schwartz
05-25-2010, 8:10 PM
Here is an urn I made this winter, from walnut.

The box joints were cut on the Table saw, and panels for the top/bottom were raised on the router table. The carving/engraving were done on the shopbot, and drawn in V-Carve.

name was obscured for privacy.

photography was left to a professional.

Gene Crain
05-25-2010, 9:27 PM
Nice job Michael, quality work. Thanks for posting

Gene

Joey Jarrard
05-26-2010, 8:44 AM
Michael great work.

Robert Alexander
05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Finished door.

Gene

Gene nice panel. Can I ask what you used to finish this piece. I like how you made it look 2 tone with the stains.

Brandon MacDougall
06-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Mandolin in bayou blue. Reclaimed flamed maple and clear red cedar. top and back carved to .185" thick.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/MandolinBlueR006.jpg

back side

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/MandolinBlueR004.jpg

Nicholas Bukky
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Very nice! Thanks for posting! I liked the sound bite too!!

Great work,

Nick

Joey Jarrard
06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Great job brandon.

Brandon MacDougall
07-04-2010, 1:24 PM
Thanks Guys!

Here is number three of five, I surprised how reliable the CW is in one off production the parts are coming out fantastic with little or no errors cutting out tops necks fingerboards drilling and inlays.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/MandolinGoldenR002-a.jpg

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/MandolinGoldenR003.jpg

james mcgrew
07-04-2010, 2:06 PM
have you done the upgrade to the cw? "Z"

excellent work

jim

Brandon MacDougall
07-04-2010, 2:47 PM
yea new Z packs on all three units, but it was the old chuck that was bad and vibrating the machine apart, gone are the days of bad issues due to wobbly bits. A friend of mine made a aftermarket chuck that I been using for two years now that saved the day, LHR also has a OEM replacement that looks solid but i not tested it yet.

That's " Lindsey" I have a link on YouTube some ware i will post it..

james mcgrew
07-10-2010, 8:16 AM
here is an installation we did in the 90's, the architects needed some pics for a proposal for another so we were able to get some updated photos. the ones i had were when the construction was going on, nice to know we can carve the state seal and the greek capitols now back then it was out sourced by EC2 the millwork provider, T.A. (Now a Shopbotter) was the millwork producer. i can also remember what a PIA it was for the cnc operator to do the flutes in the solid columns on a machine that was shorter than the length required, these days it is a snap. the entire cieling was built upside down and taken into the building (third floor in downtawn chas sc) and reassembled then we jacked it up into place at one time. learned a lot from this job.

jim

Dennis OBrien
07-10-2010, 1:09 PM
++++ Wow! ++++

Mark Johnston
07-27-2010, 6:11 PM
This is my first finished project. I’ve had my CNC for about 4 months but unfortunately I’ve only been able to work with it for a couple months. My son and daughter in law wanted a changing table for their new baby girl. They wanted to have the flower theme throughout the room carved in the side on the changing table. I have a computer back ground but not any CAD/CAM experience so it was a challenge to scan in the graphics and get it cleaned up and ready to carve. I have Aspire and I really enjoyed learning the process. I built the dresser and then a separate top to fit over the dresser to accommodate the changing pad. When my Granddaughter is out of diapers they can remove the top and use it as a dresser. The carving doesn’t show up as well with the dark stain that matched the crib so my wife used a dry brush technique using a lighter glaze and it turned out pretty well.
My Granddaughter was born Sunday 7/26 and I finished the project on Saturday.
Just reading the forum and seeing what everyone is doing was a great help and inspiration.
Thanks for all the help.
Mark

james mcgrew
07-27-2010, 6:36 PM
excellent work, i truley belive in just taking on a project then learning how to do it, i had never sliced a thing or done any large 3d and the chess players was my first.

keep up the good work

Jim Underwood
08-19-2010, 9:29 AM
The original idea was to come up with something that was quicker to machine than the other door I posted some time back- which took almost 6 hours to carve.

This only took 20 minutes or so for each. I'd say I accomplished that goal.:D

The other goal was to create matching door and drawer front. It sorta matches, but the design for the door evolved. The original design worked for the drawer front, so it didn't... so I may redraw a slab drawer front with a design that more closely match.

Anyway, I like them both. Whaddya think?

Joey Jarrard
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Jim the door & drawer look great.

Gene Crain
08-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice job!

Was the design done in Aspire? What bit did you use?

Jim Underwood
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I used ArtCAM 2010 to design both. It's just vectors, and then you use the "engrave" funtion when setting up your toolpaths. No need to even create a relief. This is why it's so fast. It just makes a few passes up and down the corners, and it's done...

I just used an 1-1/2" diameter, 90° V-bit in the way of tooling. It uses off the shelf carbide inserts too, which makes it much cheaper than solid carbide...

You could just use the smaller and cheaper 1/2" brazed 90° V-bit if you didn't want to spend much money.

Brandon MacDougall
08-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Here is a carbon fiber version of my violin in 3D, I guess tooling would be expensive and the labor to build in composit, it would sound good as you could build it with very thin walls.

Here is the pre vis of the violin in 3D with some carbon textures added to the cad just for fun. :)

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LiquidviolinCoR002.jpg

Dan Hintz
08-24-2010, 1:25 PM
It would be difficult to tell, particularly at a first glance, that the image above was a render... CG has really improved the last 10 years.

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2010, 2:15 AM
American Legion Sign for a friend. It is an 8.5" sign using Vcarve at .2 flat and 60 degree 3 flute CMT bit.

Gene Crain
10-06-2010, 4:23 PM
12x9x3 corbel, carving on both sides from Cachimbo wood. Straight from machine no sanding, stained.

Gene Crain
10-18-2010, 8:19 AM
24.75 x 24.75 x 1.375 lower door panel from adler stock carved on the vintage pr machine...

thank you viktor for the file

james mcgrew
10-18-2010, 8:21 AM
dang you might get good wid dat thing!!

Gene Crain
10-18-2010, 9:45 PM
top panel, too busy for me but client loves it

Nicholas Bukky
10-21-2010, 5:17 PM
I did this for a designer in NY city for one of his clients.

He sent me a rough sketch similar to this and I brought it to life for him.

I started with a 1.75x17x125 slab of red oak and milled it down to 1.5 thick

I had a local metal guy make the welded parts for me.

I used my camaster to create a strait line on the front edge before I ripped it to width on the table saw.

I then milled down the leg stock to 1.5x1.5 to use to cover the metal leg structure. I again used the camaster to pocket out the leg material to fit over the legs.
I also used old cammmy to pocket for the mounting brackets on the underside of the bench.

Finished dims 120L x 12d x 18t with 3 coats of Waterlox tung oil finish applied.

Thanks for looking!!
Nick

james mcgrew
10-21-2010, 5:21 PM
por old red machine just sittin in the corner

Gene Crain
10-21-2010, 8:36 PM
por old red machine just sittin in the corner

rumor is he is going to part out "the red un"

I will take the spindle and indexer...:D

Nicholas Bukky
10-22-2010, 9:19 AM
Gene it all goes or it all stays!!
No need to be nice I have thick skin!:D

I never got the indexer on it but still have some of the stuff....

james mcgrew
10-22-2010, 9:27 AM
gene has worked wonders with his machine, man if he gets some yellow then look out!!

Khalid Khattak
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Gene,
Your work is inspiring..awesome and simply beautiful... Really like it...

michael turner
10-22-2010, 8:51 PM
Nothing like most work here, but I love what I do. This is my first post. I cannot believe I just found this site yesterday. So far, love it.

Spalted Sycamore laminated 22 rimfire stock for benchrest competition
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/jeff002.jpg
Hard Maple with Blistered figure using an automotive clearcoat finish.
I wish I could find 1000 bd ft of this quality wood, and be able to afford it.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/L-man.jpg
This was my first attempt at building a guitar.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/Guitar%200001/mrt22.jpg

Gene Crain
10-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Nice work!

Where did you get the file for the guitar?

Gene Crain
10-23-2010, 4:49 PM
Another 4 hr saturday project done, ready for install.

james mcgrew
10-23-2010, 5:17 PM
gene, you are gonna single handedly change the mexican architecture!!

Nicholas Bukky
10-23-2010, 8:18 PM
Gene I like your custom pulls on your shop cabinet doors:D

Nice work too!!

Gene Crain
10-24-2010, 9:00 AM
Gene I like your custom pulls on your shop cabinet doors:D

Nice work too!!

Now that is a great eye for detail!

michael turner
10-26-2010, 2:14 PM
Nice work!

Where did you get the file for the guitar?

Hi Gene,

I used a pdf file from a man in France and then created a 3d model of the guitar, neck etc. I didn't follow the pdf exactly but close enough you are sure it looks like the original.

Mike

Gene Crain
11-01-2010, 8:47 PM
Seat for garden bench from pine 11"x55"

Hal Nihiser
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not a frequent poster, but thought I would post some pictures of my latest project. All the lumber for this project was locally produced and all parts except some internal bracing was machined on my CNC router. The frame work is all red oak, the pin blocks are beech, the sound hole rosettes are butternut, and the sound board is red cedar.

Brandon MacDougall
11-03-2010, 3:38 PM
Very nice!

james mcgrew
11-03-2010, 4:08 PM
i have always believed true woodworkers could make wood sing!!

one day just maybe i will try it!!

excellent work

Gene Crain
11-06-2010, 7:58 PM
sample panel from pine

16x30x1.125"

Jim Underwood
11-06-2010, 8:01 PM
If that's just the sample, I'm really looking forward to the real thing...

joe alcathie
11-15-2010, 1:46 PM
some of my first...signs for a tropical themed restaurant (surfers for the restrooms).

Gene Crain
11-15-2010, 7:53 PM
some of my first...signs for a tropical themed restaurant (surfers for the restrooms).

Nicely done! :D

Jim Underwood
11-15-2010, 8:01 PM
Phooey...:rolleyes:

You got nothing to be ashamed of. I'm impressed with your modeling. I was actually thinking, "wish I was that good at creating figures".

Gene Crain
11-17-2010, 8:52 AM
Kitchen from Cachimbo stock.

james mcgrew
11-17-2010, 9:01 AM
very cool!!

joe alcathie
11-17-2010, 9:16 AM
Phooey...:rolleyes:

You got nothing to be ashamed of. I'm impressed with your modeling. I was actually thinking, "wish I was that good at creating figures".

I wish I had that level of skill! The surfers are from vector art 3d. For some reason the customer wanted different fonts on the surfboards. Definitely learning quickly.

Mike Heidrick
11-27-2010, 12:35 PM
For a buddy's step dad for christmas. It is a practice round full size and weight. CNC made the shells hangers, rounded the hangers on the router table, and then CNC mortised the 3/8 rounded over mortises for the hangers and cnc prdrilled for them and used a couple bull nose bits for the lettering.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/CNC%20Router%20Build/106pic1.jpg

Gene Crain
11-27-2010, 4:39 PM
For a buddy's step dad for christmas. It is a practice round full size and weight. CNC made the shells hangers, rounded the hangers on the router table, and then CNC mortised the 3/8 rounded over mortises for the hangers and cnc prdrilled for them and used a couple bull nose bits for the lettering.

Nicely done!! Thanks for posting :D

Nicholas Bukky
11-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Beautiful wood! (nice carvings too:D)

Brandon MacDougall
12-01-2010, 1:34 PM
More CNC violins from Liquidguitars.com

Free shipping for the month of Dec.. :D

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ElectricViolinN5FR006.jpg

Nicholas Bukky
12-01-2010, 2:59 PM
Very Cool!!

Is this your full time job??

I'm always impressed with your stuff. Wish I could play something besides oh never mind.....:D

Thanks for sharing!
Nick

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2010, 11:53 AM
A couplelast minute Christmas gifts made Christmas eve eve and finished yesterday.

Sheepface was done a week ago.

Gene Crain
01-07-2011, 7:57 PM
upper cabinet panel from cachimbo stock. one day far far away...i hope to be able to model panels such as this...

Robert Alexander
01-08-2011, 5:09 PM
Here is a 3-d carving I did for a western type casket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWt2KQkYDe8

Michael Simpson Virgina
02-10-2011, 6:16 AM
PC Case out of Walnut and Maple

Bruce Page
02-10-2011, 1:37 PM
upper cabinet panel from cachimbo stock. one day far far away...i hope to be able to model panels such as this...

That is breathtakingly beautiful.
Wow!

Brandon MacDougall
02-24-2011, 1:39 AM
Just sent this out to Australia via UPS last week and after customs, duty's and a 6.0 earthquake we are signed and delivered.
Made with Lightwave 3D, Designer STL and the Carvewright wood working machine.

http://liquidguitars.com/ElectricViolinN5R0034.jpg

Connie Ratisseau
02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Love the character of that wood Brandon...forgive my ignorance...what is it?

Brandon MacDougall
02-24-2011, 3:36 PM
Hi Connie,

It's soft maple from the Pacific coast in Oregon, I think the wood was fallen before it was harvested, I never use any wood like it very light and strong.

Brandon MacDougall
03-02-2011, 6:30 PM
Youtube will let me upload in HD ! goodbye 320 x200 ... hello 1280x720!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOAXQCJyays

james mcgrew
03-05-2011, 9:19 AM

here are the final pics of the USC national Baseball trophy cases
the method is here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156882-national-trophy-case

Mike Heidrick
03-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Brandon and James outstanding work.

An oval sign for a buddies mom's shop.

james mcgrew
05-31-2011, 9:15 PM
we were asked to import some sculpted panels for a large interior upfit which will be drenched in cherry veneers and solids, with the client budget minded i submitted samples of panels done with the vectric textured toolpathing and was given the green light, we are at installation stage and i will post more as we near completion.

i might want to add that submitting this "as equal" over the outsource put a pretty extra penny in my pocket !! thanks vectric!!

Jim Underwood
06-02-2011, 11:04 PM
So what size bit did you use to get this texture? And how long does it take to machine a full 4x8 sheet?

james mcgrew
06-03-2011, 5:02 AM
jim it is a 2" ball nose

Brian Breshears
06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
James,
The textures in images 2 and 3 look completely different than the later pictures - what was the difference?

Beautiful work as always!

james mcgrew
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
must just be the light i ran all from the same file, yet with a bit aof variation they take on new patterns

Jim Underwood
06-04-2011, 7:36 AM
How long to machine a full sheet?

Mike Heidrick
06-09-2011, 6:24 PM
Latest Sign

Robert Alexander
06-09-2011, 8:06 PM
we were asked to import some sculpted panels for a large interior upfit which will be drenched in cherry veneers and solids, with the client budget minded i submitted samples of panels done with the vectric textured toolpathing and was given the green light, we are at installation stage and i will post more as we near completion.

i might want to add that submitting this "as equal" over the outsource put a pretty extra penny in my pocket !! thanks vectric!!

As always Jim, outstanding work!

Mike Heidrick
06-12-2011, 9:02 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/pvv2.jpg

PhotoVCarve of a Vmax

Mike Heidrick
07-15-2011, 6:00 PM
Nail Salon sign 20X30 in Paduk.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/polished.jpg

Brandon MacDougall
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I been working on a new Violin design most of the bugs have been worked out and the protoypes sound wonderfull all soft maple. The parts where made on the CW and I naming it the V1.

james mcgrew
10-03-2011, 6:17 PM
very cool !!!

Mike Heidrick
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Ran a file someone linked from the shopbot project page. A Two Step Pantry Stool cut in a glued up panel made of walnut, qtr sawn red oak, curly maple, and cherry. Its for my 2-year old to cook with me in the kitchen.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/stool.jpg

Also drew up a table for a slab roller and made it for my wife to roll cookie dough and cake fondant on. 3" PVC cement rollers. Design was seen on youtube for a clay slab roller and I copied it. Internal bed and sides were drilled so the bed is perfectly paralle to the table side edges that the rollers roll on. Then a sheet of ply and 4 sheets of 1/8" masonite are teh spacers to set the dough thickness. Pullys and blocks and a turn buckle do the steel cable tensioning.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Cast%20CNC/s3.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Cast%20CNC/s1.jpg

james mcgrew
12-06-2011, 10:44 AM

couple of things this week,, aztec calender was a no brainer,, the arches (modeled after a home in charleston sc on the battery were a year in the making, now the mold is working well!

Marshall Border
12-08-2011, 1:45 PM
Amazing CNC work , I've been thinking about this process for myself ............MB

james mcgrew
12-08-2011, 3:06 PM
marshal it has benn some of the best fun i have ever had!! (and lasted longer too)

Jim Underwood
12-09-2011, 1:58 PM
Nice work Jim. Can I come work for you?:)

james mcgrew
12-09-2011, 2:16 PM
with your experience sometimes i am tempted!!

james mcgrew
12-11-2011, 5:36 PM
some serious fun this weekend,, first time i worked with sculptneauvo finishes and man am i on fire to do some more,, i ran a learge 24 x 36 file ofthe last supper this weekend and will take it off the table tommorrow. thinking about a 4 foot x 16 foot model!! on the larger machine

this is 25 wide and 30 tall

Bruce Page
12-11-2011, 6:20 PM
Amazing work Jim. You're having too much fun!

Brandon MacDougall
12-15-2011, 2:29 PM
Nice work James !