PDA

View Full Version : Attaching desk to wall

Steven Bolton
08-29-2008, 4:22 PM
I now have my desk (3/4 inch particle board and laminate on top and bottom) ready to attached to the wall. Is there a good way to attach it.

I was thinking about pocket screws in 2 x 4 material. 1. Drill pocket screws in 2 x 4. 2. attach to wall. 3. attach desk to 2 x 4. Sound ok. Better way?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2008, 4:35 PM
Uh... what holds up the front edge of the desk? Are there legs, or braces back to the wall? Or are you expecting this 2x4 ledger on the wall to do the entire job of holding up the front edge?

Steven Bolton
08-29-2008, 4:44 PM
I don't know much about engineering, but no, I don't expect the desk to be held up by the ledge against the wall.

It will be held up with 6 x 6 squares made of cheap sheet goods until I get one or two banks of drawers built.

Steve Bolton

Gary Lange
08-29-2008, 5:45 PM
What is the hurry! Why not wait until you have the two banks of drawers done and then not have to attach the desk top to the wall.

Steven Bolton
08-29-2008, 6:22 PM
The hurry is, is that I do a lot of my business from this desk I and need to keep moving forward now. Also, I can use it for a week or two at a height that I think is going to work, but if it doesn't, I can make a change.

I am paying a high price for my little temporary desk right now.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

ps. Any more comments on how to attach this to the wall?

Joe Vincent
08-29-2008, 6:45 PM
Your idea will probably be okay as a temporary setup given the goals you stated, but in not much time I'd think any screws into the particle board may work their way out. Assuming you plan to screw up through the 2 x 4s into the particle board desk top.

Steven Bolton
08-29-2008, 6:54 PM
I want something temporary, but this sounds like it would ruin the desk top in a hurry. Is there a better option?

In this particular case, I have a long L shaped desk that will need more support than the bank of drawers will provide.

On one end the L shaped desk top will be supported by a bank of drawers. But there will be an area where support on the back wall will be required. On the other end, a raised panel will support the desktop.

More input certainly appreciated.

Steve Bolton

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2008, 7:25 PM
Screw the ledger board to the studs. No need for pocket screws. Just go straight through. Use a few metal L-brackets -- maybe 2"x2" -- to connect from the front face of the ledger to the underside of the desk. The screws into the studs carry the desk's weight. The L-brackets just prevent the desk top from accidentally walking off the ledger.

Steven Bolton
08-29-2008, 7:48 PM
Got it. To clarify, I was going to screw the 2 x 4's to the wall and then use the pocket screws in the 2 x 4's to screw into the desk. I like your suggestion better.

thanks

Steve bolton