PDA

View Full Version : bewst way to ID logs in the NE

jason lambert
08-29-2008, 3:19 PM
I went ot go look at some wood for turning today at the local dump. Found a bunch but I am having trouble telling what it is. I can tell cut lumber no problem and sor of can tell oak but how can I id the rest what is the best refrence. I only need to look at trees in the north east us.

Tom Keen
08-29-2008, 5:18 PM
get a good field guide.. telling the various oaks apart from a raw wood sample is pretty difficult..

Tom

William Bachtel
08-29-2008, 5:20 PM
Get a good field guide, and go into the woods, it will be fun. Don't look at the leaves for your ID, only the bark.

jason lambert
08-29-2008, 6:16 PM
ok will look is there any better than others? Any titles or brands? Would amazon have this?

Leo Van Der Loo
08-30-2008, 2:27 AM
Hi Jason, the Audubon Society Fieldguide to North American trees, eastern region is a good one to have, and should be easy to find. (there's also a Western area book)
Having the book will help, but it will not be easy to tell the ID from just a log, the problem is that bark changes while a tree gets older, and also looks different depending the trees exposure, and some trees are easy to ID others are not, but still it's a good book to start with.