PDA

View Full Version : Which portable table saw should I get for about $500?

Perry Lee
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my old el-cheepo table saw. Now my question is which one should I get on my budget of about $500? I am a hobbyist currently working on some kitchen cabinets.

I have mainly been looking at the Bosch 4100-09 (http://www.cpotools.com/saws/table_saws/4100-09.html) and the Ridged TS2410LS (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TS2410LS-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm), but I am open to other suggestions as well.

I have looked at the Bosch and Ridged floor units at local stores. Here is what I have gleaned from the 'net and my own observations.

Bosch 4100-09 (http://www.cpotools.com/saws/table_saws/4100-09.html)

Retails for $600, but CPO Tools has a $50 rebate right now or I can probably wrangle a Lowe's or Sears 10% discount.
Can be purchased lots of places.
Apparently there are significant upgrades from the previous 4000-09 model, including a safer guard system, T miter slots, better rip fence, and better dust collection.
Lighter than the Ridged. The table is aluminum about 1/10" thick (I measured it in the store).
From a stored position, I can setup the saw in a single motion.
Several accessories can be purchased including left side and rear outfeed extensions.
Only has a 1 year warranty, but there are several places nearby to service it.
The unit I saw in the store did not have a smooth table top, which makes me wonder how well my panel jig will slide.

Ridged TS2410LS (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TS2410LS-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm)

Retails for $450 at Home Depot, which is the only place that carries it.
Basically the same as the previous TS2400LS model.
Heavy. The table is aluminum about 1/5" thick.
Takes some work to setup from its stored position. Lift and lock one side, then go around and lift and lock the other side.
Has a 3 year warranty and a "lifetime service agreement (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty)", which sounds good, but makes me wonder if maybe they offer this because it needs lots of service.
One place nearby for service.

So what do you folks think? Should I get the Ridged, the Bosch, or something else?

Perry

Bob Eddy
08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I just got this one a couple weeks ago; seems like a pretty decent saw and the price was right(no shipping charges)

http://www.amazon.com/JET-708315BTC-JBTS-10BT-3-Benchtop-Table/dp/B000CFH3A8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220031844&sr=8-1

Chris Knudsen
08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I would suggest for that price range, getting a contractors style saw with a mobile base instead. Unless you need to be loading this machine on and off your truck to and from jobsites, I believe that the money would be better spent on a unit that is belt driven, has a cast iron table top and doesn't take up much more space. This would especially be more usefull when doing any cabinetry.

Prashun Patel
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I second the opinions to get a contractor or hybrid or cab saw. But assuming you've concluded a portable is really what you need...

If it were my $$, I'd get the Bosch. The Rigid gets good reviews too, but most I've read say "it's a good saw for the money". For the Bosch, the reviews say "it's a good saw. period."

The clincher for me is the riving knife on the Bosch. If you can get it at around $500, you've got a great deal.

Perry Lee
08-29-2008, 1:00 PM
I would suggest for that price range, getting a contractors style saw with a mobile base instead. Unless you need to be loading this machine on and off your truck to and from jobsites, I believe that the money would be better spent on a unit that is belt driven, has a cast iron table top and doesn't take up much more space. This would especially be more usefull when doing any cabinetry.

It will pretty much live in my garage, so mobility is not so much an issue as storability. You're right that belt drive would be nice. Do you have any brand/model suggestions for the type of saw you are recommending?

Thanks,
Perry

Bharat Badrinath
08-29-2008, 1:15 PM
I had a similar set of requirements and needs as you and ended up going with a Delta Contractors saw - 36-979. It has two cast iron wings and i went with the T2 fence. I have a small basement and wanted everything to be mobile so i can move them around and use oen tool at a time in the open space.

My local lowes was offering a $100 gift card for this saw when i saw it a week or so ago bringing the price down even further.

Scott Kilroy
08-29-2008, 3:18 PM
The ridgid is a nice saw, but having used both I think the bosch is worth the extra money. As far as I've seen Bosch has made the best portable table saw possible.

Don Eddard
08-29-2008, 3:26 PM
Perry, if you're thinking of a contractor style saw, the Ridgid TS3650 is well liked by a lot of people. It's a very solid tool. I don't think you'll find a saw with the same features for the same price. The built-in mobile base is excellent, too.

scott spencer
08-29-2008, 3:42 PM

+1 on stepping up to a full size cast iron saw if you don't need to lug the saw from site to site. A contractor saw offers alot more surface area (especially in front of the blade), more stability, quieter motor, and usually better long term reliabilty. A hybrid takes up less space because the motor is enclosed inside the cabinet, has better dust collection, and a shorter drive belt to name a few advantages. Any can be placed on a mobile base for portability, some include the mobile base. Check out the offerings from Grizzly, Delta, Jet, Craftsman, Ridgid, Steel City, Shop Fox, Woodtek, DeWalt, GI, and Sunhill.

Jason White
08-29-2008, 4:18 PM
Spend a-hundred more and get the RIDGID TS3650. Not as portable, but much better for woodworking.

JW

I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my old el-cheepo table saw. Now my question is which one should I get on my budget of about $500? I am a hobbyist currently working on some kitchen cabinets.

I have mainly been looking at the Bosch 4100-09 (http://www.cpotools.com/saws/table_saws/4100-09.html) and the Ridged TS2410LS (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TS2410LS-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm), but I am open to other suggestions as well.

I have looked at the Bosch and Ridged floor units at local stores. Here is what I have gleaned from the 'net and my own observations.

Bosch 4100-09 (http://www.cpotools.com/saws/table_saws/4100-09.html)

Retails for $600, but CPO Tools has a $50 rebate right now or I can probably wrangle a Lowe's or Sears 10% discount.
Can be purchased lots of places.
Apparently there are significant upgrades from the previous 4000-09 model, including a safer guard system, T miter slots, better rip fence, and better dust collection.
Lighter than the Ridged. The table is aluminum about 1/10" thick (I measured it in the store).
From a stored position, I can setup the saw in a single motion.
Several accessories can be purchased including left side and rear outfeed extensions.
Only has a 1 year warranty, but there are several places nearby to service it.
The unit I saw in the store did not have a smooth table top, which makes me wonder how well my panel jig will slide.

Ridged TS2410LS (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TS2410LS-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm)

Retails for $450 at Home Depot, which is the only place that carries it.
Basically the same as the previous TS2400LS model.
Heavy. The table is aluminum about 1/5" thick.
Takes some work to setup from its stored position. Lift and lock one side, then go around and lift and lock the other side.
Has a 3 year warranty and a "lifetime service agreement (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty)", which sounds good, but makes me wonder if maybe they offer this because it needs lots of service.
One place nearby for service.

So what do you folks think? Should I get the Ridged, the Bosch, or something else?

Perry

Dar Lounsbury
08-29-2008, 4:29 PM
Several months ago, I purchased the Bosch 4000-09 with the trick roll-around stand. Works great for a portable saw. Can't expect it to work like a Uni or PM. Not too heavy, can be loaded in truck by one person. Goes up stairs easily. Folds up and down in one simple motion. Cuts everything well enough for what has been needed.

The only things I really don't like about this saw have been taken care of with the newer model (4100-09). I was unaware of a newer model when I purchased but it might explain the VERY good price I paid. I looked at as many of the other models as I could find and could always find something I just would not like with others. I liked the Rigid but did not like the stand as well and did not want to be locked to Home Depot for repairs/parts.

What ever you buy, use it and stop comparing it to other brands. Then you will be happy with your choice.

Dar

Glenn Howard
08-29-2008, 5:23 PM
If you have the patience, that same $500 will have much more buying power in the used and/or reconditioned market. I was in the same boat as you several months ago. I came so close to pulling the trigger on the Ridgid contractor saw, that I changed my mind just as I was about to load one on a cart.

My patience paid off because I ended up finding a reconditioned Delta 36-715 hybrid saw for only $599 complete with a mobile base. For only $50 more than the Ridgid, I now have a hybrid saw with better dust collection, a better fence, slightly more HP, the ability to wire for 240v...all in all a better table saw IMHO.

I have to believe that with a little patience, you could probably take your $500 a lot farther by watching CL, etc.

Lon LeBlanc
08-29-2008, 5:53 PM
I sure like my TS3650. Got it set up just about a year ago, and it's holding all the alignments very well. Awfully smooth, too. With their new pulley and ribbed belt, there was no need to get a link belt. The stock blade was OK, but I've upgraded that now also. Very stable saw, and the Hercules base, while a bit of a bugger to set up, sure allows me to move the saw around with ease.

I'm taking my half of the garage for tool shop, and expanding into her half when I work. So, when I'm done, everything has to be moved back into my half so that we can park her car. Got everything on mobile bases, and the TS3650 rolls with the best of them. Got the Ridgid on sale for $250 at the time, so I'm a very happy camper.

Lon

Les Zielinski
08-29-2008, 6:19 PM
There are 2 Powermatic PM66 on Sarasota CL (tools, Aug 28) for $600 each. One is 220 3 phase and the other 220 1 phase. Not mine and I do not know the seller. I already have one of those. It is a good cabinet saw.
Les

Larry Fox
08-29-2008, 6:52 PM
I agree with others who have suggested throwing a bit more $$ at it and trolling CL for a decent used cabinet saw.

Les: If I were in Sarasota I believe one of this PM 66's would be mine, that is a sweet price.

Perry Lee
08-29-2008, 8:20 PM
You guys have me half convinced to go with a contract or hybrid saw. I was not really considering them because a) I thought I could not afford one, and b) I do not have the space for one. You have shown me that there are good models in my price range, but I am still worried about space.

My current saw is about 36"x24"x36" (WxDxH) and the portable saws can fold up to about this same size and (even better) be stored under my workbench. How small can the contractor and hybrid saws be quickly broken down to for storage?

Mark Mack
08-29-2008, 8:58 PM
The contractor and hybrid saws can't really be broken down for storage. Whatever the size of the tabletop and fence rails are is pretty much the footprint. About all you can do is roll the saw out of the way if you have the space to do so and the saw is on a mobile base.

Mark

scott spencer
08-29-2008, 9:01 PM
The contractor and hybrid saws can't really be broken down for storage. Whatever the size of the tabletop and fence rails are is pretty much the footprint. About all you can do is roll the saw out of the way if you have the space to do so and the saw is on a mobile base.

Mark

You can also cover the surface and let them double as a table or workbench. I suspect you'll be happier with the function of the larger saw than the convenience of a portable, but that's a decision you'll have to make.

Glenn Howard
08-29-2008, 9:08 PM
While the portable saws do offer the convenience of being able to be broken down and stashed away, that eventually puts some wear and tear on the saw and will play havoc with the saw's accuracy.

If space is an issue, one thing to remember is that some hybrid saws will take up a little less space than contractor saws. Most contractor saws have the motor hanging off the back of the saw, which makes storage a little dicey. Hybrid saws typically have the motor mounted inside.

Carl Maeda-San Diego
08-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I used the Ridgid tablesaw for several years and love it. My main motivation was because my wife wanted to park the car in the garage. But then I got the bandsaw, jointer, scrollsaw, etc. And then upgraded to a Delta contractor saw I found on Craigslist (for free! Well, it was broken but I fixed it)

I couldn't part with my ridgid tablesaw even after this so I gave it to my parents. Its' a great tablesaw. The fence works great and it holds the settings really well. It folds up nice and small and has enough power if you upgrade the saw blade and keep it clean. I like the miter gauge it came with better than the stock Delta ones. The only thing that annoys me is the location of the on/off switch. It takes some getting used to. The blade guard is also not as good as the Bosch. The extension wing is really nice too.
But I got it for less than $400.. I used a coupon but I don't remember what for.

Harley Reasons
08-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I liked the Rigid but did not like the stand as well and did not want to be locked to Home Depot for repairs/parts.

Dar
The Lifetime Service Agreement on ALL Ridgid power tools is with One World Technology who is the license holder of the Ridgid Trademark. Home Depot does not own One World nor do they dictate their warranty polices. HD does have an exclusive BORG contract with One World to sell Ridgid Brand tools.
Repair parts come from Ridgid/One World and again have nothing to do with Home Depot.
As to the OP's comment about the reasoning behind the Lifetime Service Agreement, that is also in error. One World offers the LSA as a sales inducement and are betting that a very high percentage of purchasers will fail to read the LSA agreement until something goes wrong and find out they forgot to register the LSA. And the standing rule is "No Do Overs" on the LSA, register them within 90 days or lose it.

Eric Larsen
08-30-2008, 12:07 AM
+1 for trolling craigslist.

I've seen amazing deals on cabinet saws. You just have to check 2x each day and be first to email. Especially look for the cryptic "Table saw, $500" posts. You know, the ones that don't mention the manufacturer, only that it's a 3-phase, 5hp motor. That's how I got my Powermatic. The fence was missing a part, and it took me a month and several posts here to find it, but I ended up with an inexpensive PM66.

If you buy a portable, you'll wish you had the cabinet saw until you bite the bullet and get a Sawstop, Unisaw or what-have-you. Better to figure out what saw it is you REALLY want, and then look for deals.

(But some saws *never* come up on CL -- Sawstop, for instance.)

Rich Engelhardt
08-30-2008, 3:22 AM
Hello,

Allow me to relate my experience.

Thinking mistakenly that I could avoid the large footprint of a fixed saw, I went the portable route and used a shop made guide w/circular saw for breaking down sheet goods.

- My first purchase was a Hitachi job site saw. $199.00 from Lowes. While adequate for being an upgrade to a $99.00 no-name bench top, it lacks in a lot of areas. It's aluminum top is welcome for light weight transport, but adds no mass for stability. It also uses a non standard miter groove (less than 1/2" but larger than 3/8"). It's a decent saw and it does what it's meant to do. Go to the job site.
I started out folding it up after use to conserve space. In fairly short order, I simply left it set up. So much for that idea eh?:rolleyes:

- Realizing I was "missing out" on many of the uses of a good table saw, I bided my time (and lived with the limitations of the Hitachi) until a Ridgid TS3660 went on sale. I also used some HD bonus rewards from their credit card, and got the TS3660 for about $260. The standard width (3/4") slots and heavy cast iron top opened up a whole world of possibilities. the downside is that it has a fairly large footprint.
My first attempt at breaking down a sheet of 3/4" plywood with it was a comedy of errors. (I'll spare all the details)- it ended up with the sheet half in/half out, resting on the in and outfeed supports, with the blade 100% pinched and the motor overload tripping the reset.

- Realizing yet again, that I was not 100% equipped to do the things I need to do with any amount of accuracy, I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a Festool TS 55EQ. (~ $650.00 with an extra rail, connectors & clamps & tax).

I'm thankful I didn't go either the Bosch or the Ridgid portable as I had considered. The Bosch because at that price, I would not have considered getting the TS3660 - plus it's too large to transport in the trunk of my Accord. The same hold true for the Ridgid, but with the added insult that in a few months, that $450.00 saw is probably going to be in the "Black Friday" ad for $299.00.

In retrospect & hindsight - and knowing what I do now - if I had it to do over, I'd go with the TS 55EQ and a DeWalt DW745 ( @ 45# and having all "standard" accouterments - it's a better fit than the Hitachi). Then added a contractor saw at some point. Probably the same TS 3660.
Maybe. :D!
(Actually, I'm happy with my present setup.)

Loren Hedahl
08-30-2008, 9:47 AM
I've tried all the combinations over many years -- radial arm, contractors, cabinet saw, circular saws in different locations.

Since now my shop is half of an attached garage, dust control was number 1, small footprint number 2. I use a Festool TS55 including several guide lengths and their vacuum system along with a DeWalt 745 benchtop table saw that I hook up to a large shop vac.

I love the fence on the DeWalt. Dust collection is much better than I could ever get with a contractors saw. Table size is short, but I set up roller stands to compensate. With a top quality blade I get smooth cuts. Using it requires the use of ear plugs.

I also love the Festool for its dust control and smooth operation. I have a short guide set up as a Tee Square for cross cutting and a couple of guides hooked together for straight-lining.

Yes, I sometimes miss the "heavy iron". But not when I really think about it.

Matt Ocel
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
No question -

The Dewalt DW744. $499.00

The rack and pinion rip fence is great. It usually comes with the stand(depending on where you buy it) has good power, transports easilly.

I have used mine for 7 years without a problem.

I don't use it as much lately, cause I upgraded to a PM200.

Jack Smith
09-07-2008, 8:20 PM
It's unfortunate this thread has gotten derailed. I too amd trying to decide between the Ridgid TS2410LS and the Bosch 4100-09 portable saws. I'm looking at these saws because I don't have room for a contractor's, hybrid, or cabinet saw, and because I'm looking for portabilioty. I just (reluctantly) sold my Powermatic 64A that I had incorporated a number of mods to for greater accuracy and ease of use. I'm well aware of the benefits of the various saws, and of the space required for each.

For space reasons, and the need for portability, I'm going to buy a portable saw. Consequently, I respectfully ask the question again: Has anyone had enough experience with both the Ridgid and Bosch portable saws to offer a recommendation?

Thank you for any assistance.

Chris Matus
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I've seen the Bosch 4000-09 with the gravity rise stand at Costco recently for $379. A pretty good deal since the stand alone costs about $160.

I have this saw and my only gripe is that the miter slots are not the "T" type.

Brent Ring
09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I am onboard with everyone who has said to wait for a used cabinet saw. That is my plan. I originally purchased the 2400LS Ridgid and within a year have outgrown its accuracy. It is a great job-site saw but I want something that is more accurate. When I purchased it I thought it would be perfect. But now I want more accuracy and stability and power.

If you don't want to wait, then the Ridgid Contractors saws, with cast iron tables are a good choice. But for between $500-$700, you can usually find a good deal on a used cabinet saw, which is much better in the long run.

Power would be the only other consideration. Most good cabinet saws are going to require a 220v run, so keep that in mind!

Jack Smith
09-08-2008, 9:05 PM
I finally made a decision and bought the Ridgid TS2410LS instead of the Bosch 4100-09. I've spent much time in Lowes looking at the Bosch and in Home Depot looking at the Ridgid, and I couldn't see where the Bosch was worth the extra $140. This was a difficult decision for me as I'm very much a fan of Bosch tools.

I haven't used the saw yet, nor checked it for accuracy, and that will be the test that determines whether I keep it, or return it. As someone else said, this is not a "real" table saw and one shouldn't expect to find heavy duty parts and materials. I'll check and adjust the blade to be parallel to the miter slot using a dial gauge, just as I do with a large saw.

As far as fit, finish, and tightness, the saw is not disappointing. It's obvious the finish on the top scratches easily, but that is of no consequence in my opinion. I think the stiffening ribs cast into the bottom of the table top will keep it from warping. I haven't checked it for flatness, but will shortly; however, I don't have high expectations in that regard.

Regarding the rip fence, I'm impressed with the way it glides across the table and how it locks down solidly. I find it strange how the measurement rule for ripping is attached. It is held by a screw in the approximate middle of a metal tape that wraps around both ends of the fence slide and is secured with a spring attached to the two ends. I may glue the tape down at a later time if it seems to be inadequate.

Regarding the miter gauge, it's better than the Bosch, but is still of little value--as most OEM gauges are. I'm sure it will be difficult to find a good crosscut sled for a portable table saw, so I'll probably make one.

As far as the blade goes, I'll replace it with a Forrest Woodworker II, or an In-Line Industries TS2000.

I know this isn't much of a review and doesn't contain much substance, but after I've adjusted and used the Ridgid TS2410LS, I'll post more details.

Dave Lehnert
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Sears in my area has the Bosch saw on the stand for $499. Clearance price

Harley Reasons
09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Jack,
If you do keep the saw, then don't forget to send the registration card in for your lifetime service agreement (LSA). Be sure and save the UPC barcode from the box and include it with the registration.
There is no "do-over" on registering the LSA, you have 90 days from date of purchase to get it in.

Perry Lee
09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great advice the past few weeks. When I started this thread, I was leaning toward the Ridged because it cost less and the lifetime service warranty. You guys almost had me talked into getting a contractors saw, but I just have too little space in my garage and I would rather spend a little more time setting up each cut (at least for now) than give up the garage space. Several of you made good points about Bosch and I think those points, combined with being able to get the Bosch 4100 without the stand, is what finally decided me.

I bought a reconditioned Bosch 4100 (without stand) from CPO Tools (http://www.cpotools.com/saws/table_saws/4100-rt.html). I did not get the stand because I eventually plan to get the Rousseau stand and outfeed table (http://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-2775-Table-Saw-Stand/dp/B00008RW96/). The saw should arrive today and the kitchen cabinet project is calling to me. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks again --
Perry

Randy Carnley
09-09-2008, 2:44 PM
I had a Bosch 4000 and really liked it. Upgraded to a contractor type saw and sold the Bosch for what I paid for it. Highly recommend the saw.

Jack Smith
09-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, here's my update:

I checked the blade for parallelism and it was off by .003, so I adjusted it to within .001. The rip fence needed no adjustment. When I raised and lowered the blade, it was very stiff and would almost bind up (in case you're wondering...yes, I had the lock-down screw loosened).

I replaced the Ridgid blade with a Freud 60T carbide cabinet maker's blade and lowered it until it bottomed out. A little later, I decided to rip some trim for a job I'm doing. The blade height adjusting wheel would not turn and I was afraid to apply too much force since the gears are plastic. After some tapping and 'jiggling', I was finally able to raise the blade, but the wheel turned very roughly.

I turned on the saw and the motor sounded like a threshing machine, but I went ahead and made the rip cuts. Afterwards, I boxed up the saw and returned it to Home Depot. I went to Lowes to get the Bosch, but its rip fence cannot compare to the Ridgid and it also has plastic gears in the blade height adjusting mechanism, which didn't seem all that smooth. After looking at all aspects of the Bosch, I was again convinced the Ridgid would be the better saw for me.

I returned to Home Depot and checked the saw on display--the blade height adjusting mechanism worked very smoothly. Unfortunately, they have no more TS2410LS saws in stock, nor do any other HD stores within 50 miles of me. The clerk said they have more on order and should get them in a week, so I'll wait and give the Ridgid one more try.

One last thing. As someone else mentioned, the inside of the sawdust exit fitting has ribs around it and they cause the sawdust to hang up. I can see where the opening could become clogged after a small number of rip cuts. This is not a big deal, but would cause a little extra effort in clearing the opening.

Jack Smith
09-17-2008, 8:04 PM
Another Update:

I bought my second Ridgid TS2410LS, but also returned it. When I checked for parallelism between the miter slot and the blade, it was .010. By the way, I checked with both the original blade and then with a Master Plate--the dimension was the same. But this is not why I returned the saw.

When I attempted to loosen the adjusting screws, the head stripped out on one of them. The adjusting screws on the Ridgid are 3/16" allen heads and are extremely tight.

As I said, I returned the saw. I'm not sure I want to take a chance on another Ridgid, so I'm back to looking at the Bosch. My comments here are by no means meant to slam this Ridgid saw--it has great features and has a rip fence that is, in my opinion, much better than the Bosch.

If I feel lucky one day in the next week or so, I may take one last shot at buying another Ridgid. For some reason, the HD stores in my area only stock one TS2410LS at a time, so I'll wait for a fresh delivery and make a decision then.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-17-2008, 9:35 PM
Hands down the Bosch....I've owned the Ridgid [grey one]....the Bosch beats the pants off it.

Scott Vantine
09-13-2009, 7:43 PM
I haven't powered it up yet, but I am impressed with it so far! The stand was a bit confusing at first but now takes only a few seconds to put up, in my mind just as fast as the Makita jobsite style collapsing stand. The saw was right on alined from the factory other than the plastic pointer on the fence. I will post more thought of this saw after I use it a little. I will be using Freud Diablo blades instead of the factory included 28 tooth.

Randy Carnley
09-14-2009, 3:36 PM
I have only used the Bosch in a portable and highly recommend it.

Chris Tsutsui
09-14-2009, 4:28 PM
My bosch saw with gravity rise stand fit into my compact mazda3 sedan. talk about portability. :)

The limitations this saw has is cross cutting large sheets. You are much better off using a circular saw or track saw.

Though the pros are: I can rip 8 foot boards no problem, the saw has ample power, and it never needs adjustment since the first day I set it up. Takes 30 seconds to add and remove the riving blade/blade gaurd.

Plus my delta tenoning jig slides perfect on the textured table top. Dust collection with a HF 2hp will remove about 90% of the dust. I confidentally use the measure tape since i calibrated it and any time I do double check the measurement of the cut, it's been spot on.

The saw has air filled tires which means it's not going to be firmly planted on the ground. This hasn't been an issue with me using it though.

I have used a unisaw and a contractors cabinet saw and those are much nicer, but you can still produce great work with the bosch. I've used mine over a year and no complaints. I eventually want a used unisaw or better of course. :)